BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a year ago I put some new rims on my car and got these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. Ever since the day I put them on my car was a little more shakey and now it's gotten pretty bad. If I drive over 65 mph my car really shakes and when I go to brake it's even worse. On top of that I randomly keep finding chunks coming off of the sidewall. I haven't been hitting any curbs so it wasn't making any sense to me. I tried searching it up already and was able to find two threads from other car manufacturers were people were saying they had chunks coming off too, but on the old pilot sport tires. These are newer ones they came out with to solve that issue on the previous tire. Has anyone else had any experience with these?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I"ve heard stories of the AS3 tires falling apart from a buddy that works at a german shop. My brother has these tires on his lexus IS, no chucks, but they're wearing out 3x as fast as they should. He'll be lucky to get 20K out of them. I recommend the Piolot Super sports, I have them on my 550i and they're awesome - quiet, smooth, and stick like glue. I've got 15K on them and based on how much tread I have left, I'm guessing they'll last 40K.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've been running the AS3 for 2 years now and have just a little over 20,000 miles on them. New the tires have 10.5/32 of tread depth and mine are at 6/32 right now so I'm just barely getting to half way worn. Tires are wearing extremely even and there is no "chunking" going on. I have seen the Michelin tire "chunking" and every time I have seen it the vehicles toe was out of adjustment, remember just because your car doesn't pull doesn't mean that the alignment is ok. If you have actual chunks of tire coming out of your sidewall then you are hitting something unknowingly and that is causing it as nothing else causes this.

·
Who u r, u r forever....
527 Posts
I'm running these now on my 2004 645ci, in 12 years they are far and away the best tires I have ever had on it :thumbup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
+1 on the A/s 3's
They have been on my 530i for about a year and a half with no problems and normal wear.
I guess I'm a lucky one!

I wonder if it could be a "Lot" number or run?

Bud B

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ran them for a year on a 535xi and was left with 4/32... They were great at the beginning but didn't last compared to other tires I've had!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have 31k on the Sport tires and still have a bit more than half thread. Wearing even except a bit less on the shoulders. Never had any alignment done.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So a year ago I put some new rims on my car and got these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. Ever since the day I put them on my car was a little more shakey and now it's gotten pretty bad. If I drive over 65 mph my car really shakes and when I go to brake it's even worse. On top of that I randomly keep finding chunks coming off of the sidewall. I haven't been hitting any curbs so it wasn't making any sense to me. I tried searching it up already and was able to find two threads from other car manufacturers were people were saying they had chunks coming off too, but on the old pilot sport tires. These are newer ones they came out with to solve that issue on the previous tire. Has anyone else had any experience with these?
Did you install aftermarket wheels? If they are not hub-centric, you would experience shake. A bad shake could be the reason you're chewing up the tires.

I've run Michelin on all my cars and currently run Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my 550i. I could not be happier with the ride and feel and I would recommend these tires for our cars. I replaced the Continentals that came with my car and the difference is night and day.

I think your problem is not related to the tires.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
I'm on A/S 3 tires too. Though they are pretty old. Bought the car with them on it. I've been smoking them almost 2-3 times a week on empty roads and they still have some tread on them. Though i will be changing them around October, I dont think they will last the winter in this condition. But I am surprised how well they are holding with the abuse i'm throwing at them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I completely blew out a Toyo Proxe this spring after hitting a pot-hole at speed; I replaced it and the other side tire with a pair of A/S 3's. The TPM kept telling me the pressure was down in one of them two weeks after installation and a week after I filled it again. I went back to America's Tire and they tried to get replacements, but they were on back-order at Michelin. Michelin indicated they were introducing a new model A/S 3 and the "old" model was no longer available. In the meantime, America's Tire installed a brand new pair of Conti's so I could use the car. About 5 weeks later the new A/S 3's came in and they made the exchange. Since then I have had no problems whatsoever and I'm happy with the ride/feel of the car. So if there was a problem with the "old" A/S 3's, it may have been acknowlewdged and resolved by Michelin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The new version is the A/S 3+ which apparently has great grip in the dry and wet conditions. It's a new compound so it might not have the problems the old one did.

I have a set of Continental DWS 06 tires I'm still breaking in and they're a good improvement over the original DWS tires.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you are having this problem with the AS3s, I don't understand why you would not take the car to whoever you purchased them from and get them involved with correcting the issue, be it the tires, rims, alignment or other suspension problem.

Have had 2 sets of pilot sport as3 s and can only state they are a great tire. Don't think I will ever mount any other tires on this car.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
An update on my Michelins. My love affair with these tires is completely over. At half worn these tires are starting to get extremely loud and hard, feels like I'm riding on the run flats again. Tires have about 25,000 miles on them and are about 1/2 worn. They have worn perfectly even and still roll smooth but I can't take it anymore, my Toyota Tundra is currently more comfortable and quieter driving. Realistically I have never been overly happy with the ride of the car since switching from 17 to 18 inch wheels, I don't see how the people running 19's or 20's put up with it. I think I'm going to stay with 18's but switch to a 235/45 from a 245/40

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,409 Posts
I hear ya...I think 17 is a good size...not too much rubber, but just enough. I can't imagine running on 19's or 20's on a daily driver.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
Previous slicks (Michlein A/S 3 tires)
Photo 9-22-16, 11 13 15 AM.jpg

My favorite tire Kumho KU39 Sport LE
Photo 9-22-16, 11 04 41 AM.jpg

Just recently replaced them last week. Cant tell you how quite my cabin is now. The A/S 3s weren't always so bold but they were always loud and just useless honestly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts