BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the OEM Bridgestone's, after 26K miles, with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's.
What a difference in ride over the crappy Bridgestone's.
I have done some "spirited driving" (but not WOT yet) and cannot detect any difference in traction/handling.
Wish I would have done this earlier, just to enjoy the better, less jarring ride. And also expect that I may get better tire wear since the wear rating is about 60% higher than the Bridgestone's.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good move!

Make sure you break the new tires in. They typically need ~300 miles to wear in properly. Then come back report again :thumbup:

New tires are softer and quieter than worn ones (of the same type).

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
I've had PS2s in my previous car, they handle wonderfully :thumbup: With my E92, its between the PS2s and the REO50s.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Just replaced the OEM Bridgestone's, after 26K miles, with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's.
I have done some "spirited driving" (but not WOT yet) and cannot detect any difference in traction/handling.
Wish I would have done this earlier, just to enjoy the better, less jarring ride. And also expect that I may get better tire wear since the wear rating is about 60% higher than the Bridgestone's.
Put about 300 to 400 miles on the PS2s and then try doing some spirited driving. The PS2s will take turns and stops better than the Bridgestones. If you want an objective comparison, you will need to do back-to-back braking and skidpad tests that are instrumented.

·
Registered
841 Posts
How are the PS2 ZP's vs. the standards? I currently have standard PS2's in my 330i and if the ZP's are almost as good as the standards, I might go with ZP after I tear up my (presumed) stock bridgestones (no 335d I've seen has come from factory with PS2 ZP's)

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
How are the PS2 ZP's vs. the standards? I currently have standard PS2's in my 330i and if the ZP's are almost as good as the standards, I might go with ZP after I tear up my (presumed) stock bridgestones (no 335d I've seen has come from factory with PS2 ZP's)
I can confirm that the 2010 335ds with Sport package are shipping with the Bridgestone RFTs. Ironically, the Bridgestones on the d are better (less ride harshness) than the same model that was shipped with the 2008 E93 and both cars were/are equipped with the Sport package.... Go figure:dunno:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I can confirm that the 2010 335ds with Sport package are shipping with the Bridgestone RFTs. Ironically, the Bridgestones on the d are better (less ride harshness) than the same model that was shipped with the 2008 E93 and both cars were/are equipped with the Sport package.... Go figure:dunno:
Actually, if you ask around, its actually a mix of Michelin and Bridgestones whichever seem to be available at the time.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Maybe your car came with the 2nd gen RE050A I instead? So we're back to the great BMW tire lottery. Back in the E46 days it was Crappy Continental's vs. Michelin PS1's.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good move!

Make sure you break the new tires in. They typically need ~300 miles to wear in properly. Then come back report again :thumbup:

New tires are softer and quieter than worn ones (of the same type).
I agree and will return after 2-3K miles and provide an update, but initial impression was beyond my expectation thus the reason for posting.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Those are great tires... but $$$$. ;)

- Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are great tires... but $$$$. ;)

- Mike
Went to a local Michelin dealer and without even mentioning Tire Rack, they were $80 lower out the door with no special charges for run flat fees and all the other add ons some tire places charge - very straight forward, simple and a clean deal.
This was the best price I obtained for any RFT/ZP tires, but did not price GFT's since I reluctantly like the RFT/ZP concept.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Maybe your car came with the 2nd gen RE050A I instead? So we're back to the great BMW tire lottery. Back in the E46 days it was Crappy Continental's vs. Michelin PS1's.
Bridgestone RFTs are now on a 3rd generation production and have increased in price BTW.

Placed an order about 6 weeks ago and I get my car today, 2010 335i coupe w/ 19" style 230 wheels, will see what comes on them. I have been told it's a good chance it might be the 3's!

Supposedly, the gen 3's are a gift to mankind!! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You CAN'T detect difference in handling???? Were you driving 30mph and and on straight? PS2s are absolutely sick in how they stick to the ground especially once temps are above 15C. I am scared at how quickly i can go on roundabout in summer on them. Bridgestones squeel like a little piggy very very quickly and start sliding proper. Michelin PS2 is best damn tyre i've had and whatever BS makes can't touch it. IMHO this is one of those prodcuts when you pay premium, you get premium.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2010 e92 ZSP came with PS2 ZP's. After all the complaints I had read and heard regarding BS tires this was a nice surprise. I understand it is still a lottery as to what you end up with and when ordering they told me this was not something I could choose. Still in break in period so can't comment much on performance but so far so good.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
You CAN'T detect difference in handling???? Were you driving 30mph and and on straight? PS2s are absolutely sick in how they stick to the ground especially once temps are above 15C. I am scared at how quickly i can go on roundabout in summer on them. Bridgestones squeel like a little piggy very very quickly and start sliding proper. Michelin PS2 is best damn tyre i've had and whatever BS makes can't touch it. IMHO this is one of those prodcuts when you pay premium, you get premium.
Well said, IMO. But then I am biased toward the Michelins. So much that I swapped out the BS RFTs for a set of PS2s after only 700 miles were on the car....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts