BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I took my car for battery replacement today to the dealership and they told me that I need to replace my Micro filter as it's due every 2 years for replacement. They want to charge $140 for that. I would that a bit excessive and wanted to understand if this is something I can do myself. I read up on various forums and saw a few videos, but am a bit confused on whether the micro filter is the same as the Cabin air filter or the Air intake filter? How often should they both be replaced?

If anybody has any recommendations on specific OEM filters and/or instructional forums/videos, I would really appreciate your help. I am trying not to get ripped by the dealership. :)

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,616 Posts
The micro filter is the cabin filter you should be able to get one for about $35. Its not recommended to get a activated charcoal one if you have auto/air - have no idea why. I do the cabin & engine filters about once a year that is about 12K miles for me.

Don't have any favorite on a oil filter brand, have used Mann in my 330ci but a 328 filter should run $9 to $13 & change when the computer tells you to. You will need to reset the nanny's this might help but not all years/models are the same.

1) Put key in car
2) without pressing the brake, press the start button

3) Press and hold the trip computer button (cars w/o idrive only) until u see the yellow triangle

4) Use the trip reset button to select the service u want the change

5) Use the BC button and toggle stick to change the***65279; values

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply :) The cabin air filter seems very easy to change and not that costly. Is it quite easy to change the air intake filter also? Any specific brands you use for the cabin filter and the intake filter?

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
DIY guy save the money. Just did mines on the 750, purchased my filters from ebay..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced both the cabin filter and air intake myself, saved several hundred dollars. I found some diy illustrations on the forum and managed to do both in less than an hour. Go for it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just in case this helps here is a write up i did on how to replace the under hood cabin filter on the X3 ... not quite the same part probably but process is very similar and the filter is easy to order online so you can replace it yourself and make sure you don't get ripped off! It is easy to replace:

BMW X3 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY Guide

I use the Mann filters that are the direct OEM replacement, never had a problem.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
The activated charcoal filter is for cars that have the automatic temperature control.
I replaced both the cabin filter and air intake myself, saved several hundred dollars. I found some diy illustrations on the forum and managed to do both in less than an hour. Go for it!
I know this is an oldie, but since it's back....
Activated charcoal absorbs odor and maybe some CO but I'm unsure of that. That's the only thing it does, having no particulate filtering function. Although it usually is applied as a very thin coating it is sometimes found sandwiched between two layers of fibers. The more of it there is, the more effective it is.
Regardless of whether you have ACC or manual HVAC, always take it if it's an option. Expect to pay more. If you buy an aftermarket filter they very often don't come with the charcoal like the original did. Always check.
BTW, some filters are directional and need to be installed accordingly. Check the side of the filter for an arrow.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
micro filter : it's a DIY job.... filter $40 and 10 min job

BMW charge $180 for the job

what a rip off

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I agree with all of the info above (except for the bogus info on charcoal filters, DSX is correct) and I would only add one thing. When fitting the new micro filter make sure that you have it aligned completely. It's a snug fit and it will deform if not fit correctly.

·
Banned
2,010 Posts
guys I agree, that paying BMW 150.00, (average) is crazy to replace a plug and play part, but remember, they have tons of overhead to run that shop and showroom plus that great coffee they serve! they have a standard rate and its not discounted just because its only an air filter or easy job. So repairing things you can do own your own would be my thoughts too. Once I get to the point that I believe its a task might be over my head, I will gladly pay them to do it. I can do my own oil changes, filter changes, and probably can do my own brake and rotor changes too. the Rest will be decided on a case by case.

Hondo

·
flâneur en cabriolet
922 Posts
Does the CBS system tell you when you need to change the intake air filter (not the cabin filter)?

I've put 16 months and about 12k miles on my used E93 N54, have a new filter ready to go, just curious of the nanny tells you (not that I'd wait for it).

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I don't believe it does and anyway

don't believe it does and anyway the Interval is pretty long .
A standard amount of mileage to check air filters use to be about 15k.
If it is used you don't know where it started from. I don't think they even
change it under the first warranty interval of 50k.
When I took mine out there was a lot of crap in the intake box also.

Google Mike Miller BMW for the old school maintenance schedule for guidelines.

·
flâneur en cabriolet
922 Posts
don't believe it does and anyway the Interval is pretty long .
A standard amount of mileage to check air filters use to be about 15k.
If it is used you don't know where it started from. I don't think they even
change it under the first warranty interval of 50k.
When I took mine out there was a lot of crap in the intake box also.

Google Mike Miller BMW for the old school maintenance schedule for guidelines.
Got the guidelines, actually, the best way to get them is to email him, as current versions are not readily available online (he seeks them out and asks for posted versions to be taken down).

Per that guidance, I'm visually inspecting at least annually and minium change every 2 years. Mine is dusty but doesn't seem bad - I used the shop vac to carefully vacuum some of the larger crap out of it (making sure to keep the engine side clean). Did the intake box at the same time. :)

I was just curious if the nanny would tell you eventually....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts