BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to replace the Microfilter in my 2007 525i. I called up the dealership and they quoted about $312 for the service (the part is $30 I think). $312 sounds hefty to me as a service charge and I am looking for an alternative. Anyone have any recommendations for this situation? I was thinking to go with an Indy shop. Anyone know any good Indy shops in the San Francaico Bay Area?

Edit-Also where can I buy the Microfilter other than the dealership?
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would recommend doing it yourself and saving a lot of money. It's very easy to do - there's videos on youtube showing exactly how it's done. As far as a good indy shop, check out Euro Motorcars in the city. http://www.euro-motor-cars.com/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip & info. After doing some additional research doing it myself seems as the way to go. However do you know where I can buy the microfilter other than the dealership? I did some searching online but they don't seem to have anything called a microfilter on the websites.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the tip & info. After doing some additional research doing it myself seems as the way to go. However do you know where I can buy the microfilter other than the dealership? I did some searching online but they don't seem to have anything called a microfilter on the websites.
The part is sometimes called a "cabin air filter" or "pollen filter," or "fresh air filter."

I bought mine here:

http://www.importrp.com/

The set of two Meyle charcoal filter elements cost $32 + UPS ~ $40 delivered.

The job will take 15 minutes start to finish and afterwards you'll wonder why anyone would pay $300 for a dealership to do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got a set of two TYC cabin air filters from Amzon for $26 and changed them myself. They came with instructions. Simple job.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
...the dealership and they quoted about $312 for the service (the part is $30 I think). $312 sounds hefty to me...
Is it just me, or is this an outrageous overcharge for a service that takes at most a few minutes, using a part that generally costs less than $50? $312 would even be too much for an oil/filter change.

Time to find another dealer...for any service you have to pay for.

Spyder

·
Registered
52 Posts
Changed out the "Fresh Air Filters" today on my 535i. This is a simple DIY job and only takes a few minutes. The original filters weren't as dirty as I thought they'd be at 43k but possibly they had been changed prior to my ownership. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Isn't it really outrageous that the dealer would have the gall to charge this much money for such a simple job? Is it any wonder that dealers have such a low regard held of them by the public? Are there any dealerships who would care to respond to this?

·
DIY'er
3,437 Posts
I am overdue with my micro filter but I ignore it just shake it and put back. What exactly does it? You get fresh and clean air inside the cabin? That's all?
Pretty much.. it's supposed to have charcoal to help get rid of any odors also

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.