1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'd like to thank ss150.
Your information was very helpful:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260208&highlight=microfilter

Still, is the link above for "microfilter" shown on my little screen for maintenance alert?
My warranty just ran out and my first task would be "microfilter."
I called my original dealer for replacing cost and got "about $700" and $900 from another place:$150 plus labor (about $700).

Now I am going... If 'ss150' is right, they cannot be charging that much!
When 2003 745i says "microfilter," is it really the ones shown on the link above?
& they charge hundreds for replacing those two? No, they cannot do that... Rip off!

Please confirm.
Thank you.

·
bmw addiction
7,153 Posts
First, I'd like to thank ss150.
Your information was very helpful:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260208&highlight=microfilter

Still, is the link above for "microfilter" shown on my little screen for maintenance alert?
My warranty just ran out and my first task would be "microfilter."
I called my original dealer for replacing cost and got "about $700" and $900 from another place:$150 plus labor (about $700).

Now I am going... If 'ss150' is right, they cannot be charging that much!
When 2003 745i says "microfilter," is it really the ones shown on the link above?
& they charge hundreds for replacing those two? No, they cannot do that... Rip off!

Please confirm.
Thank you.
yes

·
Registered
254 Posts
change it your self....it's easy....good luck and don't be crazy to pay that much money for that easy job...

·
Registered
298 Posts
:wow:You were definitely misquoted - there is absolutely no possible way even a Stealer would charge this amount for the microfilters...use common sense :tsk:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow I thought BMW in uk charged a lot for them, about £70 for parts and £110 for labour plus 15% vat! But $900 is outragous!!!

Yes they are the micro filter, aka pollen filter, cabin filter, sometimes other things that I can't think of, but it's easy to change and from a parts shop cost about £30 here, it's in the same place as a 5 series and the offside covers the brake fluid bottle so u can check that aswell!

I've changed them before being a mechanic I've done every BMW except the z series and honestly it takes 5 mins max for all bmws

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, all!

It's microfilter.

Okay then, I am going to replace it myself but I will stop stop by at my long time dealer and get a quote again. I might be mis-quoted over the phone.

Thank you so much everyone here.

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
my dealer quoted me a lil less then $200 and I said noooooo. My SA also advised that its not that serious and that I could do it myself..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had my cats pull the old ones out and put new ones in for free. used some cotton and a ziploc got from walmart. priceless

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
I just took mine out and vaccuumed them clean...looks just like new...dealer wanted like 55 for each...when I get around to it I'll get em for like 20 bucks each somewhere or something...but for now it's a free temporary fix that took 10 mins of my time

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sweet color combination Bn. Ykim 88, drive the 7 up to Ontario, get the filters from Autozone and I'll change em for you for free. Some of these Dealers need to be slapped with the stupid stick.

Attachments

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
Sweet color combination Bn. Ykim 88, drive the 7 up to Ontario, get the filters from Autozone and I'll change em for you for free. Some of these Dealers need to be slapped with the stupid stick.

·
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,920 Posts
6 mints for first one and 4 mints for second, with $29=$40 from ebay and reset your computer thats it
:rofl: tic tacs or mentos?

Sad thing is that there is an entire group of texting kids who probably think you spell minutes that way

·
Registered
560 Posts
I got ripped off for $200 by Eastside Bavarian in Seattle!
Dont feel bad, I got slapped 300 for a new key and programming. 2 day delivery. I'm going to start calling dealer bills, fines.

·
The Outlander
84 Posts
It's sad that their entire business model is about deception! I knew parts and repairs would be expensive, but never expected literally spending a coupe grand every 2 months or so...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts