BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW 745 I 2002 53k miles. Yes, I do not drive much… My car I drive info said it needs to be replaced so I said to myself I can do that… I went to the dealer’s parts department departed with $150 for two filters. Got home, popped the hood, opened the filter housing, and they looked almost as clean as the new ones…??? Am I missing something besides $150?? Is there some other microfilter in the car? Does the charcoal in it go bad?? It does not make any sense to me. So I knocked a little debris off the old ones vacuumed them a little and put them back and reset the service interval now it shows 100k miles for next one. Before I return the new ones, I wanted to make sure I am not missing anything. Also I may have replaced them 2 years ago and did not reset the interval. The last question is … Is the microfilter a sensor based item or an internally calculated item based on time or mileage or something?

·
Porsche Ex-Pat
660 Posts
It is calculated by time, not mileage. You must have forgotten to reset them because when my interval was up, they looked black as night, filled with all kinds of crap.

If yours look good, take them back to the dealer (if they will take them back) and next time order them for next day delivery from Auto Zone for $50 instead of $150.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts