BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I apologize if i am posting this thread in the wrong place as i don't really go to the forums that often.
so Today i was trying to lift my 2007 335i Sedan up and put it on 4 stands so i can get all 4 wheels off and take them to get the rims powder coated. at first i managed to lift both rear tires at once by lifting it from the rear axle and put the two stands right where the jack would go for each tire if i were to lift it one tire at a time. However, when i got to the front i couldn't find a spot in the middle of the car to lift both front tires at once and even if i lift one tire at a time there would be no place for the stand as it would be occupied by the jack. so the problem now is How am i gonna put stands for the front tires?? so i decided to take off the stands from the rear and do the fronts first by lifting the car one side at a time by lifting it from the spot where the rear tire is lift. so now the car with all 4 tires on the floor, i put the jack right next to the rear tire (just like what u would do if u were to change a rear flat tire) but kept lifting all the way up tell the whole side was up including the front tire and i put the stand under the front side. same process for the other side. once both front stands were under the car, i lifted the car again from the rear axle and put the other two rear stands. so the car now is on all 4 stands (until this very moment). after i was done, i opened the driver door and when i closed it, it felt that it was rubbing and didn't feel right. I think i twisted the body or the frame throughout the process, maybe when i lifted the whole side just by placing the jack on the rear side!!??
is it possible that i might have damaged the frame or twisted the body? or is it something else ????
is it fixable?
that car is still on the stands by the way!
please help!

·
Banned
2,010 Posts
Most likely you didnt twist the frame, there is some flex in all car frames, and any metal will flex a little and has a memory and will return to its normal state before you deform it enough that it wont come back.

only one way to determine if its twisted and that is to put it on a frame machine and they can check critical measurements. You might want to jack up each corner instead of one side, or front then rear

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
You haven't bent the frame by lifting it, but that doesn't mean the frame wasn't bent before and jacking it up allowed it to flex. You should get some car ramps to get the car on jack stands in future. Put the front on the ramps, jack up the back by the subframe in front of the differential and place on stands, then jack up the front by the spot in front of the oil pan and place on jack stands.

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_jacking.shtml

·
Registered
41 Posts
You did not bend it. For future reference, there is a front lifting point right in the middle there is a round depression and a rectangular reinforced area. That is the spot. Look in your owners manual or google e90 lifting points

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Today i was trying to lift my 2007 335i Sedan up and put it on 4 stands

Lost track halfway through....went back...whaaaa?

Hey, read THIS

Now hear THIS

Run front wheels up on 2x12's to raise a bit so you can get under the car w/floor jack. Might want to go double thick, one step at a time. Or, jack the car from the side enough to run a second floor jack under the front center jack point - go baby go.

Rear's easy: Use differential being VERY careful not to include the diff cover in the contact patch. Cover may be made of tin foil.

Of course, we always use a wood block between the jack or jack stand and jack point to avoid damage.

+1 on no damage from your efforts so far, but you can tweak the car a bit from uneven jacking. Will go away when evenly supported or back on pavement.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
You didn't bend it. There are many cars which,when we put them up on the lift, doors bind or won't open easily. For all their talk about "improved chassis stiffness" it seems that the incredible lightness of being is more important to them. Put iton the ground, reevaluate.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I've done exactly what you have done to many cars including my e90. The frame will not bend but you may have bumped some mounting areas out of place, ie door hinge, fender mounting points, etc

You can jack on most places on the frame of the vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.