BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my '17 X5 M in a couple of weeks. I'm now going through the process of evaluating all of the extended coverage options. This truck has 21" rims with 285 and 325 Michelin PSS's. Given the replacement cost of the wheels and tires, I'm exploring tire & wheel coverage. I should mention that I live in the midwest... lots of pot holes!

My dealer is not pushing the BMW coverage, as they say it's gotten too expensive and cumbersome including deductibles, etc. They are pitching a 5 year plan underwritten by Millenium (but claims administered through my dealer). The cost is $1790 with zero deductible and, in addition to standard tire and wheel coverage, it also covers repairable windshield chips and paintless dent removal.

Sounds like very solid coverage, but the devil is always in the details. Does anyone have any experience with Millenium Tire & Wheel coverage?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Regardless of what the dealer says, the reason they are pushing the 3rd party one is because they make more money on it... period. If you are considering this coverage at all, it should be the BMW branded coverage (of course that is my opinion).

How many tires will you need to buy to make the coverage pay for itself?

·
126 Posts
I don't think BMW covers 6's,7's and M cars anymore on there tire insurance.

Make sure you get the tire coverage.!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless of what the dealer says, the reason they are pushing the 3rd party one is because they make more money on it... period. If you are considering this coverage at all, it should be the BMW branded coverage (of course that is my opinion).

How many tires will you need to buy to make the coverage pay for itself?
Thanks for the input... that was kind of my suspicion! I would have to buy roughly 3 tires, but I was more concerned about the replacement cost of the wheels... if ever needed. That said, I've had a lot of M cars and I've never bent a rim. Take an umbrella and it won't rain? haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you just care about the tire, discount tire will sell the a warranty for ~$50 per tire. If you need a replacement tire, you buy a new warranty with the new tire. I had the Eagle LS2 runflats on a 535 in Chicago and went through 8 of them before moving on to Bridgestone Driveguards. Rims can be straightened for a ~$100 per rim. I had that done once. I would not spend $1700 on that warranty.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,290 Posts
If you just care about the tire, discount tire will sell the a warranty for ~$50 per tire. If you need a replacement tire, you buy a new warranty with the new tire. I had the Eagle LS2 runflats on a 535 in Chicago and went through 8 of them before moving on to Bridgestone Driveguards. Rims can be straightened for a ~$100 per rim. I had that done once. I would not spend $1700 on that warranty.
This.

Also remember that the rest of the world will plug tires...bmw doesn't. So a simple $30 patch/plug turns into a $350 new tire...for no good reason.

The "I need 3 flats to break even' is a false calculus driven by this bmw policy. (And bmws policy is driven by corp risk reduction, not true safety. IMO)

Id also opine that while the bmw plan pays fir new tires, the 3rd party will patch instead.

How many tires and rims do you typically lose each year? ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts