Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't that be funny if one were to open the hood of their new Mini and see "Toyota" proudly stamped on the engine?

:D

Who knew Toyota could build a better diesel engine than BMW? Now how's about we get a 320d in this country?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002-05-13-toyota-mini.htm

05/13/2002 - Updated 10:30 AM ET

Toyota to supply BMW Mini engines

FRANKFURT, Germany (Dow Jones/AP) — German automaker BMW has signed an agreement with Toyota Motor under which the Japanese firm will supply diesel engines for BMW's new-look Mini starting next year, a spokesman said Monday.

The agreement, signed on Friday, provides for the supply of between 10,000 and 20,000 engines per year, BMW spokesman Michael Rebstock said, confirming a report in the Financial Times. He declined to give financial details of the deal.

The Japanese and German car makers have been in talks for more than a year.

BMW's strategy since selling loss-making Rover in 2000 has been to pursue alliances that allow it to grow while remaining independent. At the same time, Japanese car makers have been beefing up production of diesel engines, whose popularity in Europe has soared over the past few years.

The revived Mini was launched last July, and BMW will start selling Minis equipped with diesel engines next year.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Atleast they picked the highest quality automaker in the world. If we're lucky maybe one day Toyota will produce entire BMWs (using BMW's designs of course). Much better than DaimlerChrysler that partners with Hyundai and Suzuki among others..

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
This was in the rumor mill several months ago. I think its interesting that BMW didn't decide to design their own diesel for the MINI, considering how good their other diesels are.

That given, I agree it was a good idea they went with Toyota. I still cringe a bit every time I see the engine compartment of a MINI and see the Neon valve cover, ignition module and spark plug wires, and am reminded of what it shares parts with, good or not.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Cowboy said:
Cool, so we can put good ol MOPAR parts into the Mini!

woohooooooooooo

heh
Do you have grand visions of stuffing a 426 HEMI into one? :lmao: :lmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts