Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2001 BMW 530i. It's been the best car I ever owned over the 17 years (170,000 miles) I've had it. My daughter has been driving the car for the past 2 years and it's been great for her.

A recent, relatively minor accident resulted in some damage on the front passenger side of the car. The steering linkage (tie rod) on that side also broke making the car undrivable (though it looks easy to repair).

I'm sure the cost for insurance to repair the damage will be more than the blue book value of the car but the car was in near perfect operational condition and is really worth so much more. I know because I'm the original owner. Last year I replaced both xenon headlights (one was damaged by a previous minor accident and the other was clouded over), all the window regulators, and all the door lock solenoids. Over the years I've done so much more including, installing a new ABS module and fixing all the typical oil leaks (though it still consumes some oil as expected - I was planning to do the PCV mod others have done but haven't got to it yet).

I'm going to attempt to replace the steering linkage (Tie rod) to get it drivable again but at some point, if I need to get rid of the car, I should first offer it up to the people on this forum who really appreciate these cars and know how to keep them going. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm going through the parts I need now. I just saw a you tube video on replacing the tie rod. Looks fairly easy. There were a few other things messed up under the front wheel well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks CN90.
Unrelated to this... Two days before this accident, I was about to ask you about the CVV replacement you did on the M54 engine because adding oil constantly was getting old. I installed cold weather CVV and dip-stick tube a few years back and it didn't help with the oil consumption. Is the PCV replacement still working for you? Did you or anyone else do a DIY thread with a parts list? I don't want to do the catch can if I don't have to.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
Thanks CN90.
Unrelated to this... Two days before this accident, I was about to ask you about the CVV replacement you did on the M54 engine because adding oil constantly was getting old. I installed cold weather CVV and dip-stick tube a few years back and it didn't help with the oil consumption. Is the PCV replacement still working for you? Did you or anyone else do a DIY thread with a parts list? I don't want to do the catch can if I don't have to.
Look up the BMW M54's clogged oil control rings. Do a piston soak w/ AC Delco upper engine cleaner.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're going to keep it then yes, but I'd also replace a lot of other bits while you're there. if not going to keep it then I'd just do the broken tie rod.

My 2 cents anyway.

Spod
My goal is to keep it as long as there's not any other significant damage. I've done the control arms with the cylindrical bushings about a year ago. Everything else seemed ok at the time. What else do you recommend?

As far as other damage goes, it looks like the emissions air pump got pushed up and in and the A/C dryer is bent out of position (I think the A/C system is still sealed). The bracket holding both is bent as well. Somehow the force that bent those also cause the fan shroud break a blade off the coolant fan. All the parts I need get the car operational have been ordered. Once I get those, I'll look into a replacement bumper (51117005950). It's been caught on parking stops and hit many driveway ramps over the years. I've been rebuilding it constantly but this accident has finally put an end to it. I'll probably go with an aftermarket version since the cars front fenders and hood aren't perfect anymore.

·
Constantly Learning
2,013 Posts
Assume you've thought of this, but...

If you intend to keep it, why not file the claim, then buy vehicle back from ins. company? Let them pay for an inspection, and give you some money to offset your costs. Salvage title hurting resale value won't mean anything since you still want to keep car.

Resale $ means nothing in such cases, it's REPLACEMENT $ that matters. GL with whatever path you take.

·
Constantly Learning
2,013 Posts
Good question. I've no first hand experience, but there are a lot of them out there. More and more BMWs are being totaled for relatively light damage due to cost of repair vs. residual value.

So it must be possible. From a liability (as opposed to comprehensive or collision) standpoint, don't see what the difference would be.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,645 Posts
I think that will depend on what state you live in, it my not even get a salvage title. For instance when my Impala got hit the insurance company considered it totaled and wrote me a check before hauling it to the scrapyard, at which point I said slow down! It cost me $115 to keep the car (salvage value) before giving it away to my mechanic. The damage was too much for me to fix over Christmas weekend so I had to replace it anyway but since I wanted the new wheels back...

As far as I know it still has a clean green title and he has been driving it daily since fixing it about 12 months ago.

Sent from the future using the app downloaded to my neural implant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Insuring a salvage title should not be a problem. I've done it on all but one of my vehicles.

Regarding the suspension, if you're going to do it, follow that link.

I assume you will probably need front struts as well. I would get a kit for that, mounts and all.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,229 Posts
The only thing that sucks about a salvage title - if you get in another accident (that's not your fault) that really totals the car, the paying insurance company will use that to adjust their offer down. You'll have to do more haggling.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I was thinking the salvage title would make it difficult to insure. Am I wrong about that?
At this point you should just consider liability insurance. To me sounds like putting full coverage on a salvage title vehicle is a waste of money. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At this point you should just consider liability insurance. To me sounds like putting full coverage on a salvage title vehicle is a waste of money. Just my $0.02.
I've been carrying a $1,000 deductible on collision for a little over a year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The parts came yesterday. The tie rod came off the steering knuckle fairly easy (using the harbor freight tool) and the inner tie rod section came off the steering rack easily as well. The car is now steerable! I've got plenty more to do before it's back on the road. I took some pictures that I'll post when I have more time.

I noticed the trifecta lights are now on. I assume it has to do with the steering angle sensor readings during the accident when the tie rod broke. I'll have to see if it will reset on its own or be forced to hook up the computer to see what's up. I'm sure it's not the module because it's relatively new (6 years old).

Does anyone have a link to an instruction on how to tighten the rubber boot clamps. It seems like some kind of pinch and crimp type of mechanism ( I got the Lamfoerder Tie Rods and boots).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was checking for any coolant leaks today and noticed the A/C isn't working. The compressor clutch doesn't engage. Maybe I was wrong about the A/C system remaining sealed after the accident. It could just be the connector to the pressure switch. It's dark out now so I'll check it tomorrow. According to the image on realoem, the pressure switch is on top of the refrigerant dryer so it should be easy enough to see if it's is still in place. As I said earlier, the dryer got moved out of position from the accident so it's feasible it moved enough to pull the connector off. I hope it's that simple and not a leak in the A/C plumbing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts