BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Dude abides.
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I park in a parking garage in NYC. After returning the car yesterday the garage manager noticed that I had some damage to the front driver’s side quarter panel right above the wheel. It looks like someone, when backing out of a parking spot next to my car, must have hit it with their bumper or something. There’s no structural damage to the car, just this 6 inch section above the wheel that’s been pushed in a bit. The paint doesn’t appear to have been cracked.

After all that here’s my question: It’s a 2002 325XI. How much will something like this cost to fix and are there any issues I should know about before the BMW shop tries to bend me over?

Thanks.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
A picture would go a long way towards establishing exact location and extent, but under the best circumstances a good body shop may be able to manipulate the metal from behind and ease or pop it back in shape. Without even requiring paint. Good luck.

·
The Dude abides.
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah guys, I'll walk over there tomorrow and take some pictures. I was so pissed off when I first saw the damage all I wanted to do was kick a cat.

·
The Dude abides.
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SJ, if I can get this thing fixed without getting insurance involved that's the route I'd take.

Are your guys in Maspeth solid?

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,719 Posts
I park in a parking garage in NYC. After returning the car yesterday the garage manager noticed that I had some damage to the front driver***8217;s side quarter panel right above the wheel. It looks like someone, when backing out of a parking spot next to my car, must have hit it with their bumper or something. There***8217;s no structural damage to the car, just this 6 inch section above the wheel that***8217;s been pushed in a bit. The paint doesn***8217;t appear to have been cracked.

After all that here***8217;s my question: It***8217;s a 2002 325XI. How much will something like this cost to fix and are there any issues I should know about before the BMW shop tries to bend me over?

Thanks.
I had a little bit of damage similar to your description (from previous owner) to the quarter panel which cost me $500 to fix at a car restoration shop. That included removing the rear bumper, fixing the damage and painting the quarter panel. From now on I swear by car restoration people versus your regular bodyshop as far as bodywork is concerned. This guy did an amazing job. It's almost impossible to tell it's not a factory paint on that quarter panel. The funny part, I found him on craigslist :)

·
Banned
599 Posts
Yeah guys, I'll walk over there tomorrow and take some pictures. I was so pissed off when I first saw the damage all I wanted to do was kick a cat.
Why the hell do you want to kick a cat for ? Cats ain't done nothing to you. I am quite sure a cat can't dent your fender if it really wants to. Maybe you can just grab the dent and try to pull it out. The area is easily accessible. So paintless dent removal should work.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Why the hell do you want to kick a cat for ? Cats ain't done nothing to you. I am quite sure a cat can't dent your fender if it really wants to. Maybe you can just grab the dent and try to pull it out. The area is easily accessible. So paintless dent removal should work.
Cats are great targets! They make such great indignant squealy noises when kicked. Far more satisfying than the tail-down sad-puppy looks you get when kicking a dog.

Of course I'm kidding. What kind of monster do you think I am? Besides, my cat weighs over 20lbs. That thing would eat the foot that tried to kick her.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
The only thing we can tell you for certain is that we will not be able to quote you a dollar amount for your repair based on the description of the damage:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
I have a paintless dent guy and a good shop in Flushing, either way pm me if your int.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Maybe a cat was driving the car that dinked him :dunno: Hell, I have seen a cat play the keyboard.

·
The Dude abides.
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys, I took a couple pictures of the quarter panel today, and I think they’ll do a reasonable job of displaying the damage I originally wrote about.

What I’m hoping to learn is really, what is the severity of the damage. How much is this goddamn thing going to cost me to fix, and what really are my options between saying **** it, and full panel replacement.

Thanks for your input and all your advice on hunting cats – they really are a menace to society.

Bilstein

Attachments

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
:eek:uch:good news though, looks like they avoided your rim

·
The Dude abides.
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jman, you know what I think happened? I tend to back into parking spots in case there's the need for a speedy getaway. Most people though pull directly into parking spaces. So some clown who had parked next to me, or vise versa, tried to back out rotating his/her steering wheel clockwise - looking backward- doesn't see that their front driver side bumper isn't going to clear my car. Crunch! Instead of an immediate stop they just gas it and crunch their way out of the parking spot. 360 degree head swivel, no witnesses, just drive away.

I didn't notice any issue with the steering and didn't notice the damage till the manager at my garage mentioned it to me. So yeah, I realize it could have been much worse.

·
Banned
599 Posts
There's no reason for a little fender damage to affect steering. Looking at the damage, you probably need a panel beater more than a dent remover. I believe the fender is easy to remove. So DIY fitting of a new panel should be possible. The panel is listed as $233 unpainted. If you have it painted by a shop, the total cost for the part would be in the region of $500 for fitting it yourself. Painted panel is also available from the dealer. You could be looking at $700 at least from them. If you want them to fit it for you, it will probably be $1200+.

I once had a dent on my old E36 received in the same way you did and on the same wheel, except my damage was at 2 o'clock position. I did my best to pull it out by hand and lived with the dent for the car's life. I felt the money would be better used as a saving toward my next car. Keeping a car in perfect condition is almost impossible and simply too expensive, especially if you need to park anywhere except in your own garage.

Cats are the gentlest creatures. Perhaps karma was at work.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Keeping a car in perfect condition is almost impossible and simply too expensive, especially if you need to park anywhere except in your own garage.

Cats are the gentlest creatures. Perhaps karma was at work.
Thats right. If you have the resources to get this fixed then go for it. It will always be cheaper just to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. At the end of the day you can't always be there to protect your car from inconsiderate people and unfortunately things like this will happen. You can only do so much to keep your car perfect it is just a matter of out much money and energy you are willing to put into it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts