Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2004 325xi for exactly a month now (& 3200 miles !!!) and have never been happier, but, I have a couple of questions/clarifications:

1. Whenever I spray the wiper fluid on my windshield, I get the smell of the wiper fluid/chemical within the cabin. Is this normal or should I get this checked by the dealer?

2. The doors don't seem to shut when I push/pull them. It seems to need a little force for closing shut. Is this normal?

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
BMWn00b said:
I have had my 2004 325xi for exactly a month now (& 3200 miles !!!) and have never been happier, but, I have a couple of questions/clarifications:

1. Whenever I spray the wiper fluid on my windshield, I get the smell of the wiper fluid/chemical within the cabin. Is this normal or should I get this checked by the dealer?

2. The doors don't seem to shut when I push/pull them. It seems to need a little force for closing shut. Is this normal?
1. Normal; mine did the same thing until I used all the original factory "clear" fluid, and replaced with the "blue" fluid.

2. Doesn't sound normal...mine have always shut very easily.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
What is the factory clear fluid anyway? It has a familiar smell (maybe like isopropyl alcohol).

I almost like it better than the blue junk.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm sure the washer fluid is alcohol, for sub-freezing temps. Very good on ice and snow, but hard on paint, so I try to use mine only in the rain.

Re: the doors. The e46 is VERY solid with good seals. Try this test. If the door shuts alot easier with the window open, its just good seals.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
BMWn00b said:

#2: if the last door to be shut requires some force, that is a function of the well-sealed cabin. I recall seeing something in the TIS to the effect that "customers who complain about it being difficult to shut the driver's door are advised to ensure that the interior vents are open". Also the TIS advises that new cars - and your would fall into this category - have difficult-to-shut doors because of the seal design.

I wouldn't worry about either item.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts