BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 BMW 323i sat up for a year and half due to my finances with 2009 economy.
It broke down on me, I had it towed, My usual mechanic wanted $540 to $580...Somehwere in there, I forget to repair what he said was the tensioner pulley.
It was towed home and sat.
After some checking I found the parts to be around $300 as my mechanic said and couldn't afford the fix and didn't know how to do it.
Finally, I stumbled on to some youtube videos a couple weeks ago, and saw how easy it really was to fix.
RE-CHECKING THOSE PRICES THE MECHANICAL PULLEYS SEEMED TO COME DOWN.
I repaired the car for less than $200 a week ago. Thanks, to everyone that posts the DIY videos and posts.

Now my problems.

1. the fan seems to spin slower than those i've noticed before, and it came to a stop a couple times then began spinning again, the belts seem tight, they are not squeeking.
Thermostat in the cars measures in the middle basically 1/2.
I think i remember it running around a 1/4 or so, so it must be running hotter due to this.

2. My motor is slightly smoking from under the engine cover i thought it was oil burning off or sometthing, but could it be the block because of running a little hotter than normal if it's not supposed to run in the middle of the guage temp wise?
Or could it be just because car hasn't run in a year and a half.

3. I didn't drain the gas tank, just added 4 gallons of fresh. I plan to add the cleaner, but do i need to drain the tank, like on some tanks, because of build-up that would clog the fuel system...we had this happen on a mits. eclipse that sat up a year or so.

·
Noone Special
673 Posts
Your temp gauge should be in the middle, if it doesn't stay there and go to 1/4 like it said it did then your thermostat is stuck open.

As for the gas, I would add some stabilizer and just fill the tank and drive it dry. I have had my cars sit for years and just did the above. Never had a problem.

The burning off smoke, I would not worry about either if the car was sitting outside in the elements for a year and 1/2. If it was garaged kept I would locate where the smoke is coming from

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Could be some leafs of other crap in there. Try cleaning the engine compartment, then after a week or two check for signs of oil.
By the way, it's probably a good idea to change your oil and filter and top off all other liquids. Take the car for a long drive to charge up the battery as well.

·
tappa tappa toit
4,727 Posts
Could be some leafs of other crap in there. Try cleaning the engine compartment, then after a week or two check for signs of oil.
By the way, it's probably a good idea to change your oil and filter and top off all other liquids. Take the car for a long drive to charge up the battery as well.
thats my suggestion as well

check the valve cover for oily residue. it would mean that your valve cover gasket is leaking and burning oil

otherwise, i'd say the car is fine. take her for a long drive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks. I charged the battery with a trickle charger for 2 days before starting. it was dead for a year and a half and everytime i start her up the battery never drags downat least not the past week. surprises me being that after the belt broke I ran the car till the battery was dead and left it that way so long. It is the stock Battery, or at least a BMW Dealer battery for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts