Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have everything set for the trip but need a couple of suggestions and advice:

1. SIM card/phone. Both my wife and I are with AT&T iphones, and wanted to know what's the best approach here? We will be arriving in Italy for a week prior to going to the Welt, and wanted to know if there is a SIM card with data that I can purchase to use while there? if not, is it best to get a throw-away phone? any help is appreciated.

2. I have some detailed routes that take me over some passes and such, and have copied them over from BMW-routes onto a USB stick to use when I go. I tried to get specific in between points for the legs so that the Nav doesn't make its own faster route, but does anyone have experience on whether or not the Nav will re-route it or take the route I specificed? :dunno:

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
972 Posts
hi all, I have everything set for the trip but need a couple of suggestions and advice:

1. SIM card/phone. Both my wife and I are with AT&T iphones, and wanted to know what's the best approach here? We will be arriving in Italy for a week prior to going to the Welt, and wanted to know if there is a SIM card with data that I can purchase to use while there? if not, is it best to get a throw-away phone? any help is appreciated.

2. I have some detailed routes that take me over some passes and such, and have copied them over from BMW-routes onto a USB stick to use when I go. I tried to get specific in between points for the legs so that the Nav doesn't make its own faster route, but does anyone have experience on whether or not the Nav will re-route it or take the route I specificed? :dunno:

thanks in advance...
If AT&T has not changed its unlocking policy lately, that is, they won't unlock your devices until the contract is over, then you won't be able to put any non-AT&T SIM card in your iPhones. If your iPhones have already been unlocked by AT&T, then you can use any prepaid SIM cards.

What is this "BMW-routes" that you referred to? For ED, you are given a USB thumbdrive with European Nav data. If you remove this thumbdrive to replace it with your own USB stick, then the BMW Nav system won't function.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Switch to Verizon (which are unlocked for Europe) and buy a local SIM there. way cheaper and you have a data and voice plan. Plus use the App What's App and text for free back and forth to USA.

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
. SIM card/phone. Both my wife and I are with AT&T iphones, and wanted to know what's the best approach here? We will be arriving in Italy for a week prior to going to the Welt, and wanted to know if there is a SIM card with data that I can purchase to use while there? if not, is it best to get a throw-away phone? any help is appreciated.
If your phones are under contract, then your options are limited with AT&T. They will not unlock the phone, so you must either acquire an unlocked phone or pay AT&T's international rates. If you have an old phone sitting around, you can have AT&T unlock that. For example, I have a drawer with every single iPhone model collected over the years from my family...

The international rates that T charges aren't nearly as bad as they used to be, particularly voice and text. Data will be painful.

2. I have some detailed routes that take me over some passes and such, and have copied them over from BMW-routes onto a USB stick to use when I go. I tried to get specific in between points for the legs so that the Nav doesn't make its own faster route, but does anyone have experience on whether or not the Nav will re-route it or take the route I specified?
We tried using BMW Routes for our first ED and didn't have much luck. For our second ED, we made out a very detailed M$ Excel file with our routes, then loaded it onto an iPad.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have an unlocked iPhone 5 but decided just to bring my locked iPhone 6 and get ATT's 800MB Passport Plan since I was going to 3 different countries. 10 days in Europe and I only used 2/3rd of the data BUT I only used it when absolutely necessary and otherwise kept my phone in Airplane mode. For non-essential stuff I found a WiFi hotspot.

I don't think your preplanned routes are going to work. The entire EU navigation is on a USB stick they give you at the Welt, not the car's hard drive, like they use to do. So you won't have access to the USB port in your car if you want navigation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pre-planned Routes

Would it be possible to remove the Euro-USB and copy the pre-planned routes onto it using a laptop, then reinstall it in the car?

BMW-Routes seems like a great planning tool, a shame to not be able to use the results.

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would it be possible to remove the Euro-USB and copy the pre-planned routes onto it using a laptop, then reinstall it in the car?

BMW-Routes seems like a great planning tool, a shame to not be able to use the results.
I certainly hope so! this will SUCK if I can't do that :(

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
OP, Italy has particular limitations and I believe no SIM cards are easily available as in any other EU country. Didn't even try in the past 5-6 years so apologies if something significantly changed.

As far as Nav goes, check HERE app available for both iOS and Android - it is by far best navigator I have seen (Google Maps became seriously "flaky" and unpredictable lately). Download the maps (for free) at home or while on WiFi and then tell the app to not use data. Create all 5 or 6 segments at home and it will store them as remembered routes. I test drove it two weeks ago when I visited Italy and Croatia on the roads I know and do not need navigator and it works fabulously.

·
Registered
138 Posts

At delivery at the Welt, the rep warned not to remove the USB before the end of the trip, because it would not work upon re-insertion.

·
Registered
972 Posts
At delivery at the Welt, the rep warned not to remove the USB before the end of the trip, because it would not work upon re-insertion.
I removed it during the trip and upon re-insertion, the Nav threw out some error. All i did to fix it was to reboot iDrive, by pressing and holding on the volume button for 20 - 30 seconds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I certainly hope so! this will SUCK if I can't do that :(
Perhaps you can test it at the Welt, where there is probably some assistance.

It seems they warn against removing the USB stick with the euro maps, but if you do the iDrive can be restarted with the USB stick replaced by holding the volume button in for 30 seconds.

Not sure if the BMW Routes files would need to be copied onto the euro USB, or onto the iDrive.

Anything you can find out would be greatly appreciated.

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea why BMW would do some stupid crap like this and not allow for the routes to be passed onto the car somehow. Christ almighty! :(

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP, Italy has particular limitations and I believe no SIM cards are easily available as in any other EU country. Didn't even try in the past 5-6 years so apologies if something significantly changed.

As far as Nav goes, check HERE app available for both iOS and Android - it is by far best navigator I have seen (Google Maps became seriously "flaky" and unpredictable lately). Download the maps (for free) at home or while on WiFi and then tell the app to not use data. Create all 5 or 6 segments at home and it will store them as remembered routes. I test drove it two weeks ago when I visited Italy and Croatia on the roads I know and do not need navigator and it works fabulously.
Mark, which app are you referring to? :dunno:

·
high end, son
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's literally called "HERE" by Nokia. I agree with him: if you download the maps ahead of time, it's great for offline use.
I downloaded it... can't seem to find where to "save" a route for offline use, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Hopefully :bigpimp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I downloaded it... can't seem to find where to "save" a route for offline use, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Hopefully :bigpimp:
To my knowledge, you can't save routes. You can save destinations, though, which is helpful. If you download the map data before leaving, that will allow you to create routes in the app without using your phone's data while you're roaming.

I believe the previous poster was implying that, if you map out a route, it will show up somewhere as a "recent route" option for a certain amount of time, even though you can't "save" it permanently. I cannot confirm that this is the case, though.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts

I believe the previous poster was implying that, if you map out a route, it will show up somewhere as a "recent route" option for a certain amount of time, even though you can't "save" it permanently. I cannot confirm that this is the case, though.
Thanks, that's exactly what I meant. Beforw leaving, I made it find places I,wanted to go to and went to memorized places using same icon as Google maps.

You also have "favorites" and "collections" under favorites menu - I still have to play with them though. Give those a shot.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
OP, if you get any more info from BMW please let me know.

BTW when are you taking delivery? I'm on the 12th.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts