Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought 09 535i xdrive and engine light came on. misfire cyclinder 2, so changed spark plugs and coil. mechanic notified me that valve cover gasket needed changing. coming home from work nother check engine light came on. pulled over used scan tool and misfire cyclinder 4. Do you guys thinks that the valve cover gasket caused this misfire?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nah.. I had a misfire on one of the cyls and I replaced all the coils and plugs while I m at it.. cel gone and I still need to replace that vcg cz it is leaking

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think mine was cylinder 4 misfiring... Mine is a v8.. so I bought 8 and replaced them all.. one thing though.. after I have finished replacing all of them.. the car won't start at all... So I asked my friend who owns a shop specializes in BMW.. and he said the new Bosch coils all have faulty plastic clips that will not click into place... So I removed all of them again and pushed the coils harder then click it... And the engine purrs like a kitten.... After the check, I replaced all the plastic clips with my old Bosch coils and still runs like a kitten til now... And of course the VCG still needs to be replaced as it is leaking oil like maybe 5 drops a day.

Btw, CEL means Check Engine Light

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Just recently bought 09 535i xdrive and engine light came on. misfire cyclinder 2, so changed spark plugs and coil. mechanic notified me that valve cover gasket needed changing. coming home from work nother check engine light came on. pulled over used scan tool and misfire cyclinder 4. Do you guys thinks that the valve cover gasket caused this misfire?
It's possible for oil weeping into the plug well to cause a misfire.

The oil combined with heat will break down the ignitor insulation but sometimes just removing the ignitor and plug and then cleaning up the oil from the well as well as the plug and ignitor insulation will solve the problem for a while.

Obviously, replacement of the valve cover gasket is the real fix but if it's a very slow leak, cleaning up the oil occasionally will buy you time.

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
what was the code,

there are like 6 different misfire codes for each cylinder,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts