Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,
I just recently replaced the valve stem seals on a 2007 BMW 750i with a 4.8L N62B48B engine. I went to start it up and the engine runs rough then stalls. This problem never existed prior to the job. I did disconnect the and remove the intake manifold during the process, upon replacing it I installed new intake seals. I did switch around the camshaft sensors and no changes. I ran a smoke machine and there are no leaks. The coil packs seem to be working because when I remove the connector the engine gets worse.
The codes I am getting, Engine Codes, on my Snap On reader in which the software was just updated on it, are as follows:

2A13 - DMTL - leakage diagnostic pump
2B62 - camshaft sensor, intake
29CC - combustion misfire on several cylinders
29CD - misfire, cylinder 1
29D0 - misfire, cylinder 4
29CF - misfire, cylinder 3
29CE - misfire, cylinder 2

Please note there are NO vanos codes.
In reassembling the car I do have the air filter intake tubes connected "half a**" just so i can start the car with the MAF connected. I also am wondering what the vacuum line going to the MAF sensor area is for. I did replace the vacuum lines with new ones. they were getting a little dry aging dust I and though since I am in there why not just do it?
Thanks

·
CRISP & CLEAN
4,144 Posts
Good evening,
I just recently replaced the valve stem seals on a 2007 BMW 750i with a 4.8L N62B48B engine. I went to start it up and the engine runs rough then stalls. This problem never existed prior to the job. I did disconnect the and remove the intake manifold during the process, upon replacing it I installed new intake seals. I did switch around the camshaft sensors and no changes. I ran a smoke machine and there are no leaks. The coil packs seem to be working because when I remove the connector the engine gets worse.
The codes I am getting, Engine Codes, on my Snap On reader in which the software was just updated on it, are as follows:

In reassembling the car I do have the air filter intake tubes connected "half a**" just so i can start the car with the MAF connected. I also am wondering what the vacuum line going to the MAF sensor area is for. I did replace the vacuum lines with new ones. they were getting a little dry aging dust I and though since I am in there why not just do it?
Thanks
Check the fuel injectors , there is a small ( Green or Grey ) rubber O-ring that probably
came off one of them when you removed the fuel rails . Had this problem
a few years ago when the same job was done .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening,

Thanks
Check the fuel injectors , there is a small ( Green or Grey ) rubber O-ring that probably
came off one of them when you removed the fuel rails . Had this problem
a few years ago when the same job was done .

The fuel rail was never removed. When I start the engine the exhaust smells rich.

·
Sick Puppy Motorwerks
435 Posts
It almost sounds like you forgot to plug something in (maybe not fully plugged in?)
Do you have any connectors just lying there on the passenger side of the engine?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have replaced the Camshaft sensors with new ones and I still have the same exact codes.
in all honesty when ever u have a whole bank bad its your o2 sensor on that bank exhaust

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Sick Puppy Motorwerks
435 Posts
in all honesty when ever u have a whole bank bad its your o2 sensor on that bank exhaust

There is also an exhaust gas temp sensor in the downpipe, along with a pre- and post cat O2 sensor. This sounds more like something is not fully plugged in, especially since the motor ran fine prior to the work.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There is also an exhaust gas temp sensor in the downpipe, along with a pre- and post cat O2 sensor. This sounds more like something is not fully plugged in, especially since the motor ran fine prior to the work.
never heard of a exhaust gas temp sensor controlling a whole bank ..pre cat O2 sensors do

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If an O2 sensor was malfunctioning, or any sensor in the area, wouldn***8217;t it throw a trouble code?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check then IVM I had exactly the same misfires checked by a mechanic... told me change the cam sensors luckily before I decided to change them I came across another forum post about the IVM which according to the post it controls cam, fuel injectors along with a few other things I can’t completely recall , I personally had a no start/crank issue also a hard start issue which was intermittent, I found the part at a dealer (I called a few different local ones; prices vary) for about 137 and some change fixed it’s all for me. Also when I pulled out the old IVM I took apart the top very gently and carefully with a screw driver and the a solder point was cracked and the chip looked sort of dirty. Took about 20 minutes to do it’s under the passenger side cabin filter

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The IVM is good. New battery installed and the alternator is good. Same problem still exists.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought, if I remember correctly, back tracking, and brainstorming, I kind locked the cams when performing the seal replacement. When I applied shop air to a cylinder there was rotation then stopped due to a vise grips, or whatever I had, there. Is it possible that the vanos cams ***8220;slipped***8221; or moved, or the vanos cam maybe ***8220;locked***8221; hence the engine maybe starving for air or the timing maybe off? The engine starts no problem everytime it just runs terrible.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check that the two front vanos solenoids are seated properly. Push all the way in. Compare the right and left side if you are not sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got a minute on my busy schedule to tinker with this car. I decided to do a compression test first. Cylinders, left side/ driver***8217;s side, 5-6-7-8 are good. Passenger/right side, cylinders 1-2-3-4 have no compression. I am going back to my previous thought that something ***8220;slipped***8221; when I applied shop air while doing the valve seals with the AGA tool, obviously the timing is off and or bent valves......I could be wrong. I did turn the engine by hand 4 times before replacing the valve covers and there was no issue.
Any thoughts?!?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good day everyone. I wanted to close this thread and add information for others out there who have or are attempting to work on the N62 4.8 engine.

Going back to a previous post of mine I had the suspicion that the intake cam slipped while I was adding air to a cylinder. It turns out that the intake cam was off a few degrees. Now being that this is an interference engine the probability of the engine having bent valves is very high. However before I started the engine I manually crank the crankshaft by hand to make sure there was no interference. It turns out that, I guess some would say I got lucky, and a few degrees is/was OK. I obtained a timing tool and correctly timed the engine. The intake cam on cylinders one through four was off, I corrected it, did a compression test, and all my compression came back. I reassembled the engine and it started like a charm. Presently she runs like a top, and I have no complaints. The engine has plenty of power and no smoke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts