BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 528it, 2015 435i, 2016 435ix GC
817 Posts
Could be bad coils or plugs. Inspect them to see what they look like. If they appear good, swap them around and see if the misfires travel with them. Also could be injector problem. When asking technical questions, it is helpful to tell us the year and model. You can do a Google search for those codes and get a lot more info.

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Typically misfires are caused from low voltage from the battery, have you seen this on startups on the dash? If you have 12 volts are higher on the battery, turn on the ignition & headlights & measure the voltage at the jump terminal under the hood. If the voltage is good, then start swapping the coils around to see if the problem follows the coil. Make sure the wire to the coil is fully seated, or you might keep chasing the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be bad coils or plugs. Inspect them to see what they look like. If they appear good, swap them around and see if the misfires travel with them. Also could be injector problem. When asking technical questions, it is helpful to tell us the year and model. You can do a Google search for those codes and get a lot more info.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's a 630i 2010. All spark plugs and coil packs have been changed, just don't get why these two readings are the problem cylinders
its common to have just a few mis-firing. as was said, try swapping one them with another cylinder and see if the mis-fire moves to where the suspect coil was moved.

When you remove them, be sure to twist them before pulling out or you risk breaking the little handle or worse. twist about 180 degrees so you know its loosened. pull up with your thumb inserted into the handle to spread the force out.

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
If you have installed new coils since this happened, they might not be seated all of the way in the slot, or the 3 prong connector did not fully seat. I did this on my 2010, & the coils kept pushing back from the electro grease that I used. As I stated earlier, our engines will not run correctly on low voltage. I would double check the coils & plugs on those 2 cylinders, & the battery before tearing into anything else. It is possible that a injector could be bad, but we really don't ever see that on our engines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have installed new coils since this happened, they might not be seated all of the way in the slot, or the 3 prong connector did not fully seat. I did this on my 2010, & the coils kept pushing back from the electro grease that I used. As I stated earlier, our engines will not run correctly on low voltage. I would double check the coils & plugs on those 2 cylinders, & the battery before tearing into anything else. It is possible that a injector could be bad, but we really don't ever see that on our engines.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Being an N53 engine it is highly likely to be the injectors. They are notorious for giving issues. I have had quite a few headaches with them before. There has been recalls for them in the UK. Might pay to check if yours has any open recalls.

A word of warning too with these engines, they log incorrect misfire codes. Eg. The fault memory will say misfire cylinder 2, but in actual fact the misfire is on the previously fired cylinder which would be cylinder 6 (firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4) i have had this happen before.

There is a good website which goes into a lot of depth on the issues with these engines. Bimmerprofs.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You may also check the E60 board here, more N53 guys over there. More N62 guys here than over there. Which is why I hang out on both.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being an N53 engine it is highly likely to be the injectors. They are notorious for giving issues. I have had quite a few headaches with them before. There has been recalls for them in the UK. Might pay to check if yours has any open recalls.

A word of warning too with these engines, they log incorrect misfire codes. Eg. The fault memory will say misfire cylinder 2, but in actual fact the misfire is on the previously fired cylinder which would be cylinder 6 (firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4) i have had this happen before.

There is a good website which goes into a lot of depth on the issues with these engines. Bimmerprofs.com

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts