BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be bad coils or plugs. Inspect them to see what they look like. If they appear good, swap them around and see if the misfires travel with them. Also could be injector problem. When asking technical questions, it is helpful to tell us the year and model. You can do a Google search for those codes and get a lot more info.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have installed new coils since this happened, they might not be seated all of the way in the slot, or the 3 prong connector did not fully seat. I did this on my 2010, & the coils kept pushing back from the electro grease that I used. As I stated earlier, our engines will not run correctly on low voltage. I would double check the coils & plugs on those 2 cylinders, & the battery before tearing into anything else. It is possible that a injector could be bad, but we really don't ever see that on our engines.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being an N53 engine it is highly likely to be the injectors. They are notorious for giving issues. I have had quite a few headaches with them before. There has been recalls for them in the UK. Might pay to check if yours has any open recalls.

A word of warning too with these engines, they log incorrect misfire codes. Eg. The fault memory will say misfire cylinder 2, but in actual fact the misfire is on the previously fired cylinder which would be cylinder 6 (firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4) i have had this happen before.

There is a good website which goes into a lot of depth on the issues with these engines. Bimmerprofs.com

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts