BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New member because I didn't need to be before. X5 drove great!

but i'm having a small problem with the x5.

It still drives great, but my engine light came on. I diagnosed it and it said multiple cylinder misfire. There were 14 codes in all. After deleting, they came back after two days. so the problem is consistent.

two of the codes said multiple cylinder misfire and system running lean.

i have replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, afterwards, but the system still says the same thing.

it drives normally, except some times i can idle a little rough, very little, almost unnoticeable. However, when it does, its mostly the RPms that move, the needle jumps slightly.

i don't know if it's enough info, but if anybody has had this problem, please let me know.

2001 X5 3.0L
180,000km

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmmmm, sounds like you might want to take it to your Independent BMW Mechanic for a little troubleshooting and an estmate. Sorry I can't be of more help... I would avoid the dealer as only a last resort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
misfire/lean

I would take a look at the intake air boot that goes from the throttle body to the air flow meter. usually the little bellowed branch that goes off to the idle air control motor splits open and you get unmetered air into the engine leading to the problems you speak of.

You also may have a bad crankcase ventilation valve, those usually make a honking noise if you take the oil cap off when the engine is running. At the shop we call these "the honker valve" because of the sound they make when they go bad. If that is the problem there are updated replacement parts. You also need to make sure that the oil drain back hose which connects to the dipstick is not plugged internally in the dipstick.

Marc Feinstein
German Performance Svc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would take a look at the intake air boot that goes from the throttle body to the air flow meter. usually the little bellowed branch that goes off to the idle air control motor splits open and you get unmetered air into the engine leading to the problems you speak of.

You also may have a bad crankcase ventilation valve, those usually make a honking noise if you take the oil cap off when the engine is running. At the shop we call these "the honker valve" because of the sound they make when they go bad. If that is the problem there are updated replacement parts. You also need to make sure that the oil drain back hose which connects to the dipstick is not plugged internally in the dipstick.

Marc Feinstein
German Performance Svc.
Hey GPS-marc, Do you know Click and Clack they are from your fair city aren't they! ? Which one are you http://www.2002racing.com ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you might be right marc,

I did touch the air boot because I wanted to clean the throttle body. After cleaning it the machine started running much smoother.

Where is the crankcase ventilation valve (pcv?) located on the x5 3.0?

thanks marc for at least giving me a direction to look at.

Marc Feinstein
German Performance Svc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you might be right marc,

I did touch the air boot because I wanted to clean the throttle body. After cleaning it the machine started running much smoother.

Where is the crankcase ventilation valve (pcv?) located on the x5 3.0?

thanks marc for at least giving me a direction to look at.
Hi Marc,

I am a new member and have the same problem. Can you provide information where the PCV is on the X5 3.0? I have yet to investigate the intake air boot.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hi,

It still drives great, but my engine light came on. I diagnosed it and it said multiple cylinder misfire. There were 14 codes in all. After deleting, they came back after two days. so the problem is consistent.

i have replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, afterwards, but the system still says the same thing.

it drives normally, except some times i can idle a little rough, very little, almost unnoticeable. However, when it does, its mostly the RPms that move, the needle jumps slightly.

i don't know if it's enough info, but if anybody has had this problem, please let me know.

2001 X5 3.0L
180,000km
Check your ignition coil and wires.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
There are coils attached to each sparkplug and it's not unknown for those to fail. If nothing else I would consider replacing these. There is info on the web relating to testing these coils with a digital meter. Try a search and if they are out of spec. replace them. FPC in Groton CT are doing a real good deal on OEM coils on fleabay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same car and the same problem someone can helpme?

:cry:
Hi,

2001 X5 3.0L
180,000km

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've read the error codes on my X5 and it's showing lean on both banks.. a rough idle, and several times wher it's stalled.

I've been recommended by my dealership that the CCV (Crankcase valve) assembly is blown.

Hoping to save the $650 dealer charge or the $1150 local rip-off shop charge, I bought the CCV online for $50 and extra hoses as well ($30 more, with shipping)..

Pulling it down right now.

The CCV is a B*#$&% to install!!! Its located in a nearly-impossible-to-find location, up underneath the intake manifold near the center/front of the engine (drivers side).

I'm still very unsure how to get it out, and frankly, am having second thoughts about doing it myself, due to the extreme amount of stuff that's got to come off for me to get TO it..... :mad::mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello gang,

I was having the burning oil issue, and my 'Honker' valve PCVV positive crank case ventilation valve went bad. I ordered the part on ebay for 50 bucks, along with an extra two hoses, from the oil separator pcvv to engine, and from valve cover to pcvv for an extra 30 dollars. The install was a royal pain in the butt, but when removing my intake air boot, post MAF, but pre throttle body, the whole thing ripped apart (annoyed) I glued it back with some super geurilla glue for the time. I got error codes for misfiring in cyl 1 and cyl 5, my car comes in and out of limp mode, with all lights lit up like a christmas tree, dsc inactive. I just ordered the intake boot for 25 bucks and it is OEM, I am hoping this will solve the problem. As said earlier the car is getting unmetered intake and its idle is rough, the car is also fast as hell lol. I am also getting a gas smell under my oil cap. Any imput would be great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should follow up on my previous posting..

I had ordered the PCV assembly, as well as the various accompanying hoses, to be sure it would be a smooth installation.. The only hose I DIDN'T get was the one down to the oil fill tube...

Of course I had entirely missed the fact that the oil tube hose was burned in half, but I noticed it as soon as I started the job. At this point I decided perhaps THAT was the issue, and not the PCV itself....

It only took a few minutes to pull the oil tube hose off and replace it (well, only a few minutes if you don't count the 40 mile trip to/from the dealership to get the hose and the additional 40 mile return trip when I tried to install the hose only to realize they had given me a 3xx hose instead of the X5 hose....:mad::mad:

I reset my error codes after installing the hose, and the engine hasn't had an error since! AND my burning oil smell went away (after a week or 3).......

So, I suppose the moral of the story is, one should take a peak under the hood prior to ordering parts..... :bigpimp:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Vadlimb, I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. I ran my tank too low and was running lean, so i bought a bottle of injector cleaner, put it in my tank and the next day the light went off, that solved my problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mark, I realize that this was a few years back, but would your advice on that post work for a 4.4 2001 x5? I have a rough idle issue after a cold start:(!!! It goes away after the engine warms up. Do you think that w 110K on the clock it's the intake gaskets?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've read the error codes on my X5 and it's showing lean on both banks.. a rough idle, and several times wher it's stalled.

I've been recommended by my dealership that the CCV (Crankcase valve) assembly is blown.

Hoping to save the $650 dealer charge or the $1150 local rip-off shop charge, I bought the CCV online for $50 and extra hoses as well ($30 more, with shipping)..

Pulling it down right now.

The CCV is a B*#$&% to install!!! Its located in a nearly-impossible-to-find location, up underneath the intake manifold near the center/front of the engine (drivers side).

I'm still very unsure how to get it out, and frankly, am having second thoughts about doing it myself, due to the extreme amount of stuff that's got to come off for me to get TO it..... :mad::mad:
There's a Youtube video on how to do this. It's for an E46, but the engines are the same as your X 3.0I.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hi Mark, I realize that this was a few years back, but would your advice on that post work for a 4.4 2001 x5? I have a rough idle issue after a cold start:(!!! It goes away after the engine warms up. Do you think that w 110K on the clock it's the intake gaskets?? Thanks!!!
Any codes? If it goes away after the engine has warmed up, I would check the ICV (Idle Control Valve). It may just need cleaning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts