BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My 2010 E60 with 111000 miles, has developed a misfire when starting from cold, throws a code for #1 and #3 misfire, "various cylinders" code and today when happened to be low on fuel "misfire with low tank" code, it runs rough until warm when everything goes back to normal, and it runs smooth as butter. I opened the engine cover and checked both #1 and #3 plugs, connection to the coil pack and anything else in there finding nothing unusual. I very much appreciate to hear from anyone with similar experience and what they did to rectify. My plugs look clean and coil rubber insulator boot are in good shape.
Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Doesn't sound like injector leak, or plugs (you're saying they DON'T smell like gas?), so maybe coils? They're both on the same bank so it could be an O2 sensor issue too. Possibly the beginning of a clogged catalyst on that bank too...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Checking the plugs and coils isn't enough. Find the offending cylinders and swap plugs, then coils and see if the codes follow the plugs or coils.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,148 Posts
Sounds like the two fuel injectors I had replaced under CPO warranty. Injectors leak down over night, particularly in cold weather, causing rich running and misfires. Check the index number of the injectors to see how old they are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
My 2010 E60 with 111000 miles, has developed a misfire when starting from cold, throws a code for #1 and #3 misfire, "various cylinders" code and today when happened to be low on fuel "misfire with low tank" code, it runs rough until warm when everything goes back to normal, and it runs smooth as butter. I opened the engine cover and checked both #1 and #3 plugs, connection to the coil pack and anything else in there finding nothing unusual. I very much appreciate to hear from anyone with similar experience and what they did to rectify. My plugs look clean and coil rubber insulator boot are in good shape.
Thanks
did you notice if it happens the day after you pushed the car a bit faster than usual ? Perhaps the Vanos can be bad ?

·
Rookiemistake
59 Posts
I would stick a vacuum gauge on her.
A vacuum gauge is old school, but it will
tell you if you have a major problem or not.
It will also tell you if you're losing vacuum.
Losing vacuum can cause rough idle. Losing vacuum can throw a lot of different codes including the dreaded 430.
I would say 80% there is unmonitored air getting in downstream from the MAF.
$25 bucks for a vacuum gauge. google on how to use it.

My ultimate solution..

Dump a can of CRC Pass Inspection in the tank.
and enjoy.
I also had success with Techron II

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No vac issues since it runs great for the rest of the day, but like the CRC or Tekron II idea, although had used Tekron not too long ago. Thanks for your comments though

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you said may be right, I will check that, however the plugs from #1 and#3 did not look black.
Thanks

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,148 Posts
Mine didn't either. The excess fuel burns off too quickly to permanently discolor the plugs. Do misfires go away by themselves or do you have to shutdown and restart? If misfires are bad enough the DME will shut down the cylinder and you will have to stop and restart to get the cylinder firing again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
did you notice if it happens the day after you pushed the car a bit faster than usual ? Perhaps the Vanos can be bad ?

I am actually get the same symptom on my car, I ran to the store and back last night. And I ran it pretty hard there and back and then I shut it down for the night. In the morning it was idling like crap and I had a misfire on cyl 4 and 6. After getting it wormed up the car ran without any hesitation

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts