Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First snow w the 535i xdrive and it slipped & slid way more than I expected. May have to take the Volvo today to go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
snow tires on?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah. Stock all seasons. Still love the car. Just more realistic. Frankly, not much snow last few years. Thought the all seasons would be enough.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
all seasons are perfectly inadequate. go for winter set up and summer set up, its worth the extra dough. i am leasing my 2010 535i x and just spent about 1800 for 17" borbet rims and dunlop wintersport tires, and that thing is a tank in the snow, was just out now. summer is the dunlop sp sports on 18"s. trust me, you are doing yourself and your car a disservice by using all seasons which dont perform as well in the summer and are not as good in the slop as my set up. its worth it dude.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually considered keeping the all seasons for winter & getting summer performance tires. I have to rethink my strategy.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Most SUVs with M+S tyres were useless in today's snow. My X3 with winter tyres was unstoppable, as I darted around snowbanks (and sometimes through them :eek:). It's the tyres, not the car.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you're half way there. i have to say, i drove very aggresively yesterday on the dunlop wintersports and they felt great. well not summer tire great, but didnt feel like i was floating all over the county road. (route 82 by Orvia Shanadona is a great drive btw)

·
Driving Enthusiast
435 Posts
Snows making a huge difference. It is worth having the winter set. The winter tires will help you more than the xDrive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So to update... I drove home in this wonderfully horrible blizzard, and I have to ask forgiveness from the BMW gods. This car was great in the snow. It was rock solid compared to some of the others out there. I know it's not a 5000 pound body on frame SUV with full time four wheel drive with moderately aggressive tire tread, but it was pretty good for a car.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
So to update... I drove home in this wonderfully horrible blizzard, and I have to ask forgiveness from the BMW gods. This car was great in the snow. It was rock solid compared to some of the others out there. I know it's not a 5000 pound body on frame SUV with full time four wheel drive with moderately aggressive tire tread, but it was pretty good for a car.
Where in Jersey are you? I'm getting hammered here in central. Snow tires make a world of difference. I don't have them for my car, but the wife has them on her SUV and they are awesome! My car doesn't leave the garage during snow storms.:thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not far from you in Ocean County. I spend a lot of time in Monmouth, too.

I nearly kept my SUV and got the 3 series convertible, but decided to go with one car. The xdrive was a compromise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is exactly why I kept my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. That has BFG AT KO tires on it. Those are very aggressive and does fantastic job in the snow. The two BMW's are reserved for less slippery days, even with Pilot Plus AT's on. If you don't have snow tires on I would not fair this snow - it's just way to deep for cars.

As of Monday we had 38 inches. Today we're stuck in this stalled storm and expecting 20 to 30 inches more. <sigh> I'm running out of room for the snow. Already it's piled 5 feel high all around the cars and sidewalk.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I stayed home from work and would never ever drive my car in the snow..

Too many drivers out there that think they are invinceable with their SUVs and crossovers losing control of their cars.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I stayed home from work and would never ever drive my car in the snow..

Too many drivers out there that think they are invinceable with their SUVs and crossovers losing control of their cars.
Same here, I canceled all my meetings and worked from home. I'll finish blowing the driveway and walkways in the morning.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
Winter is why I keep my summer tires on and the trickle charger on my 5er. She's never seen snow and I'm lucky that I thought it through enough to keep my old X5 as my winter driver. She goes pretty well with the all-season tires. It's 10pm and the snow is still coming down pretty good up here in CT. Looks like I'll just work from the home office tomorrow morning and get the snow cleared out of the driveway after work. Just another typical New England winter and I'm sure looking forward to spring! :thumbup:

·
Driving Enthusiast
435 Posts
I have had great fun driving in the snow with my new bimmer this winter - handles superbly. Of course winter tires, AWD and manual tranny all add to the driving pleasure this winter season. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts