BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten a dealer to install smokers package free? I was shown a test drive car with ashtray and just took delivery only to find there was none. Seems to me BMW has a legal obligation to deliver a car with ALL the features promised!

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
My understanding is that after a certain date of production (not sure exactly which date) they had stopped including that.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Has anyone gotten a dealer to install smokers package free? I was shown a test drive car with ashtray and just took delivery only to find there was none. Seems to me BMW has a legal obligation to deliver a car with ALL the features promised!
Is the ashtray actually promised these days? I would guess that it isn't listed in the standard features anywhere. So I'm guessing that it isn't promised but I have no idea if that is true.

More annoying is the whole in the console that they left you with!!

·
Pundit
2,512 Posts
Have you confronted your dealer about this?

That might be a good start :thumbup:

·
Gentleman Extraordinaire
690 Posts
My understanding is that after a certain date of production (not sure exactly which date) they had stopped including that.
March 2009 production was the last batch to receive the front ashtray/power adapter in NA (or just USA). I believe it is still available as standard equipment in other parts of the world i.e. Europe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Missing ashtray

I confronted dealer who is stalling and has not yet gotten back to me. Claims people are out of the office. Claims no one ever heard of the problem before. Hard to believe.

From a legal standpoint, I was shown car with ashtray, brochure has ashtray and it is reasonable to assume ashtray and adapter will be provided.

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc ......

I have purchased three BMW's previously- seems like a lousy way to do business..................

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
I confronted dealer who is stalling and has not yet gotten back to me. Claims people are out of the office. Claims no one ever heard of the problem before. Hard to believe.

From a legal standpoint, I was shown car with ashtray, brochure has ashtray and it is reasonable to assume ashtray and adapter will be provided.

I have purchased three BMW's previously- seems like a lousy way to do business..................
Just my opinion, ITS AN ASH TRAY AND CIG LIGHTER, get over it. There are much bigger things to worry about IMO. I agree the cover looks better than the delete, but what are ya gonna do, its just a small change and changes come and go all the time on cars. Its not like it affects the performance of the car or anything super important.

People say it is bad as there is not an "accessory" lighter, there are still plenty around in the car. The one in the middle is a PITA anyways as it is right out in the open and you cant hide the cords or anything.

Sorry, as soon as people start bring up "legal" things on stupid issues it just infuriates me.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts

Due to this, my guess is the dealer will co-operate with you. I think BMW is being dumb for taking it out, because dealers are put in a bad spot. You show a car with a cig lighter...literally every car on the lot has it. You order one and bam, it is not there anymore. Granted, on the website, it does not show the smokers package in pictures anymore.

In your case, if the dealer is unresponsive I would let them know that this will ensure you will not be giving them all 5s on the post-purchase survey, since you are not 100% satisfied. That might make them change their mind. Either that, or they'll get pissed and run you off the lot... :rofl:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get over it?

I need the accessory and seems like I am being played for a sucker if I have to pay $500. Perhaps you would appreciate an additional $500 invoice for the last car you bought?

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,368 Posts
It looks like it can be done (with about $200 in parts and a few hours), but, you're right, it's a real PITA to have to do it that way.

George

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I think they removed the ashtray from the most recent set of brochures.... Covering their butts no doubt.

What I would like to know is if there is some option code for the smoker's package. I still have time left that my CA could try to include it in the build, if we only knew what the code was.

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
I think they removed the ashtray from the most recent set of brochures.... Covering their butts no doubt.

What I would like to know is if there is some option code for the smoker's package. I still have time left that my CA could try to include it in the build, if we only knew what the code was.
Your CA should be able to print out an updated list of all the current options with codes. That would be the thing to get and look at when talking with your CA.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
How much money is BMW even saving on this? $50? $100? Seems really silly to me. At least give people a choice, since I use the ashtray to store all kinds of little this-and-thats out of sight of others... :dunno:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts

It does stink that they took it out and it's down right stupid. But BMW, as well as every other manufacturer on the planet, "reserves the right to make changes at anytime, without notice, in colors, materials, equipment, specifications and models." It's on the bottom of the last page of the technical specs in the brochure. It's in every brochure every manufacturer puts out.

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
I think the problem is if you put an option called "Smokers Package" on a car people are going to assume that people smoked in the car when you go to resell it. So the only way for BMW to really remove it, which they obviously wanted to do, was to just do it.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
It does stink that they took it out and it's down right stupid. But BMW, as well as every other manufacturer on the planet, "reserves the right to make changes at anytime, without notice, in colors, materials, equipment, specifications and models." It's on the bottom of the last page of the technical specs in the brochure. It's in every brochure every manufacturer puts out.
Gotta love the legal team. :)

I would be pissed at BMW AG for putting the dealers in such a predicament over such a silly thing. I'd let them know every time someone comes in and complains about it. Might not help but perhaps makes the dealer feel better. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Missing smoker's package

How can BMW reserve the right to make changes by reducing standard features without reducing price? Does not sound like it would stand up in court.

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
How can BMW reserve the right to make changes by reducing standard features without reducing price? Does not sound like it would stand up in court.
Its an ash tray! As I said before, if it was something major, like they cut the HP down or removed an advertised feature, ok there is a problem.

Looking through the brochure I have right next to me though, the ash tray is not even in the feature tables or mentioned anywhere but being seen in the picture.

·
Gentleman Extraordinaire
690 Posts
I think the problem is if you put an option called "Smokers Package" on a car people are going to assume that people smoked in the car when you go to resell it. So the only way for BMW to really remove it, which they obviously wanted to do, was to just do it.
LMAO! :rofl:

When I got the brochure in December 2008 (MY '09) it had the covered ashray. When I built the car on the bmwusa in 1st week March 2009 it had the covered ashtray. When I ordered it on 3rd week March 2009, it had the covered ashtray. Since I went to production in late April, I'm assuming now it does not.

Yeah PITA- I like the aesthetics of the cover plus wanted functionality of the power adapter but whatever it's still going to be a sweet @$$ ride when I get it in a week!

Not like they downgraded the engine/suspension features etc or totally revamped the body style. In fact I made it a point to wait no longer than this year because I wasn't sure if they would do a refresh/redesign on the E92/93 since it's been around for 2+ years now and I LOVE IT.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts