BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone could tell me what is missing besides the engine cover and if I should get turbos looked at by mechanic
20210516_103115_HDR.jpg
20210516_103113_HDR.jpg
20210516_103106.jpg
20210516_103115_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Oh, there needs to be A LOT of stuff looked there. To me previous owner is reason why people think BMW’s are expensive to maintain. I mean that is neglect being borderline criminal.
Find good indy that knows BMW’s. Let him check ALL parts of an engine. Go to www.realOEM.com and find part number for complete cowling. To me you might also have water in air ducts etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, there needs to be A LOT of stuff looked there. To me previous owner is reason why people think BMW’s are expensive to maintain. I mean that is neglect being borderline criminal.
Find good indy that knows BMW’s. Let him check ALL parts of an engine. Go to www.realOEM.com and find part number for complete cowling. To me you might also have water in air ducts etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still can't find what the partiton cowling windshield seal thing is actually called

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,891 Posts
Engine bay or compartment, bulkhead or partition, left, center and right.
Mine
bulkhead engine compartment top left

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cabin air filter assembly and cross braces are two I see missing. Mind telling us how much you paid?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,891 Posts
Your engine / bay has not been well cared for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what mine looks like. Based on your last picture you’re also missing the air duct assembly and the lambda probe brackets
planning on getting cold air intake anyway but any idea why cabin air filter assembly gone along with cowlings?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You have a secondary coolant tank for the turbos which is the round cap in the middle of your last picture. The gunk you see may reflect leak issues with the cooling system for the turbos so definitely have the turbos and the coolant lines checked.

The pieces you are missing are required removal for any work involving the engine. Question is why these parts were removed and not replaced and what work was being done that would cause the previous owner to abandon the re-installation of these parts. Was an expensive problem spotted during the work being done and the previous owner did not want to pay the extra hour of labor to put back these missing parts?

Before you spend any money replacing the missing parts, you may want to have the engine and related components thoroughly checked. My $0.02.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have a secondary coolant tank for the turbos which is the round cap in the middle of your last picture. The gunk you see may reflect leak issues with the cooling system for the turbos so definitely have the turbos and the coolant lines checked.

The pieces you are missing are required removal for any work involving the engine. Question is why these parts were removed and not replaced and what work was being done that would cause the previous owner to abandon the replacement of these parts. Was a problem spotted during the work being done and the previous owner did not want to pay the extra hour of labor to put back these missing parts?

Before you spend any money replacing the missing parts, you may want to have the engine and related components thoroughly checked. My $0.02.
sounds good thanks. Would you recommend a local european car shop or bmw dealship for general inspection. I would imagine replacement of cabin air filter assembly and other parts easy to replace once the correct part is sourced

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would find a good independent BMW shop, not some shop that does all brands of european cars. My indy shop has worked on many of these N63 engines and they know the issues and what to look for. Where are you located?

I would take an oil sample to send to Blackstone labs to see if an additive has been added to the engine oil to mask up problems for purposes of a sale. If so, you may want to turn around and sell this car real quick as you may have bought a money pit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would find a good independent BMW shop, not some shop that does all brands of european cars. My indy shop has worked on many of these N63 engines and they know the issues and what to look for. Where are you located?

I would take an oil sample to send to Blackstone labs to see if an additive has been added to the engine oil to mask up problems for purposes of a sale. If so, you may want to turn around and sell this car real quick as you may have bought a money pit.
how do you go about finding indy bmw mechanics, all my searches provide me "european" repair shops. I purchased the vehicle from a new honda dealership so i wouldnt think any additives would have been added but who knows. Engine sounds and runs without obvious issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Honda dealership either bought the car as a trade in or through the local auction. The previous owner would be the one that may have put in an additive prior to getting rid of the car. Every used car that gets sold by a reputable new car dealer would get inspected by their mechanic for issues. If the mechanic finds that the car needs too much $$$$ to make car salable then the dealer will usually auction off the car. What I find strange is that this Honda dealership would sell a used car with this many missing parts (and with some of the parts being obviously missing).

Where are you located? Start a post asking forum members to recommend a good independent BMW shop near you. Might take a couple days to get a recommendation but members of this forum are usually more than willing to help. Unless you live in a small town, I would be surprised if there is no local shop specializing in BMWs. For the purpose of inspecting the engine, I would make the effort to drive to the nearest knowledgable BMW shop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Honda dealership either bought the car as a trade in or through the local auction. The previous owner would be the one that may have put in an additive prior to getting rid of the car. Every used car that gets sold by a reputable new car dealer would get inspected by their mechanic for issues. If the mechanic finds that the car needs too much $$$$ to make car salable then the dealer will usually auction off the car. What I find strange is that this Honda dealership would sell a used car with this many missing parts (and with some of the parts being obviously missing).

Where are you located? Start a post asking forum members to recommend a good independent BMW shop near you. Might take a couple days to get a recommendation but members of this forum are usually more than willing to help. Unless you live in a small town, I would be surprised if there is no local shop specializing in BMWs. For the purpose of inspecting the engine, I would make the effort to drive to the nearest knowledgable BMW shop.
Yea maybe since they found the cat needed replacement they would eat the 2k and needed to remove the engine to get to the primary cat they just rushed it back together? Dealership performs oil change on every car and was inspected by mechanic. However isn't cabin air filter necessary? Will definitely start new thread on independent bmw mechanics

·
Registered
86 Posts
If that is the case then the dealership should have the missing parts. Even worse, the dealership mechanic who worked on your car should be fired if he left that many parts un-installed. You may want to have a word with the dealership to get a clearer picture of what happened.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts