BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Since you mentioned one of the cats was replaced, you may want to make sure that your valve stem seals are still good. It's a known issue on higher mileage N63 engines and an expensive repair. Telltale sign would be smoke coming out the tailpipe. Search the forum as much has been discussed on this subject.

The reason I mentioned checking for additives in the oil is that the previous owner may have added an oil stop-leak additive to temporary fix this. Won't last long and eventually the problem resurfaces. I have no clue if this is a problem with your car but it could be one of several issues you want to make sure you don't get stuck with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If that is the case then the dealership should have the missing parts. Even worse, the dealership mechanic who worked on your car should be fired if he left that many parts un-installed. You may want to have a word with the dealership to get a clearer picture of what happened.
in contact with sales rep about it and he will reach out to mechanic tomorrow. Carfax showed regular maintenance with 46 service records and one owner. The thing that throws me is why the cat failed at 93k miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Since you mentioned one of the cats was replaced, you may want to make sure that your valve stem seals are still good. It's a known issue on higher mileage N63 engines and an expensive repair. Telltale sign would be smoke coming out the tailpipe. Search the forum as much has been discussed on this subject.

The reason I mentioned checking for additives in the oil is that the previous owner may have added an oil stop-leak additive to temporary fix this. Won't last long and eventually the problem resurfaces. I have no clue if this is a problem with your car but it could be one of several issues you want to make sure you don't get stuck with.
didnt see any smoke out of tailpipe, we will see no pending codes after dealer oil change and about 50miles driven on it but thanks for the information ill look into it

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
planning on getting cold air intake anyway but any idea why cabin air filter assembly gone along with cowlings?
Oh? Do tell. Most will be WORSE than stock performance....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
in contact with sales rep about it and he will reach out to mechanic tomorrow. Carfax showed regular maintenance with 46 service records and one owner. The thing that throws me is why the cat failed at 93k miles
How do you know the cat failed?

Did that hack out the OE cat an slap in a cheap aftermarket replacement?

Cats generally fail when the AFR is whacked out for 20-30k miles and the core gets abused....

·
Registered
88 Posts
46 service records for a 9 year old car means an average of 5 services a year. With only an average of 10K miles a year driven were a significant number of the service records for repairs? Mine averages 10k miles a year and I change the oil every 5k so that is only two services a year. If a significant number of the service records are for repairs then maybe you lucked out and the issues known with this engine have been repaired.

Leaking valve stem seals can cause premature catalytic converter failure. The oil additives can mask the problem for hundreds to several thousand miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How do you know the cat failed?

Did that hack out the OE cat an slap in a cheap aftermarket replacement?

Cats generally fail when the AFR is whacked out for 20-30k miles and the core gets abused....
If the dealership would sell a car with that many missing parts do you think they will spend the $$ to purchase OE catalytic converter?

·
Registered
88 Posts
To OP, you may want to familiarize yourself with the N63 engine. It's a great engine with lots of butter smooth power but has had its share of issues. There was a class action suit with a settlement by BMW and a corresponding customer care package (CCP) offered by BMW. Look up BMW Bang Settlement.

With 46 service records I would imagine your car has had the CCP work done. This comprised of changing out the vacuum pump, all 8 fuel injectors, the fuel lines, and the hot mass air sensor. If your car had a motor oil consumption issue, BMW also replaced out the vacuum stem seals. The two turbos sit inside the V channel of the engine and creates A LOT of heat causing the seals to prematurely fail. It also causes the crankcase vent valve hoses to crack as its made of plastic. These are common issues and you should check to see if the work has been done. Carfax should show which dealership would have done the work and you can call and see if they will provide you with details.

All BMW engines consume oil. Based on 200K+ miles on two 8 cylinder x5's my personal experience is one quart every several thousand miles. That is considered normal and some people experience a need to add a quart more frequently. If you are needing to add a quart every 500 miles you have a problem that should be looked into.

You may want to check if transmission has been serviced. If not, do a fluid replacement and replace the filter/cover. The ZF transmission is well built and designed to last a long time. Also replace the transfer case fluid if that has not already been done.

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
326 Posts
By the looks of things, you will be doing good to get it running well and keep it that way without going bust.

A word to the wise, you may want to put the other funny business out of your thoughts...

·
mmoffitt
59 Posts
This is what mine looks like. Based on your last picture you’re also missing the air duct assembly and the lambda probe brackets
Did I miss something? WHY? are all these parts missing??? you will be surprised at how much BMW plastic costs...you would think it was made out of GOLD!

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
963 Posts
Not to add to the misery but your missing the strut bars that connect from the top of the strut towers to the firewall bracket

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a few more things missing, conservatively I’d estimate at least $1,000 in parts. Here’s a time lapse of the removal of the parts, like cayx5 said, you have to remove them to do basically anything on this engine.

·
Registered
963 Posts
1700 for the patricians is insanity.
they are pricey but not 1700 pricey. Any idiot can replace these. It takes 10 minutes.

the prices overall seem expensive even for a dealership. Are you in California? That would help explain

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
1700 for the patricians is insanity.
they are pricey but not 1700 pricey. Any idiot can replace these. It takes 10 minutes.

the prices overall seem expensive even for a dealership. Are you in California? That would help explain
Wisconsin, can totally do the partition myself but was having a hard time making sure I would be getting the correct parts

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don’t know 100% if these are yours but plug your VIN into realoem.com and it should give the right ones. Pretty sure these are it but not 100%.
Also you can totally do the maintenance yourself and save another boat load

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
326 Posts
Wow, they are really trying to screw you with those prices!

$319 for an air filter change??? rofl lmao

21 - 40 of 70 Posts