Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out connecting my trickle charger late last night. I noticed that my 530e has no light under the hood. It this right or do I have something not working properly? Looked through the owners manual and there is no mention of a light there. Humm, seems like there should be.

Also any of you that use a trickle charger, have you permanently connected wires to the + and - connection points? And how. I just use the alligator clips that came with charger, but a wire with a charger plug would be easier.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Underhood connection for trickle charger

I was out connecting my trickle charger late last night. I noticed that my 530e has no light under the hood. It this right or do I have something not working properly? Looked through the owners manual and there is no mention of a light there. Humm, seems like there should be.

Also any of you that use a trickle charger, have you permanently connected wires to the + and - connection points? And how. I just use the alligator clips that came with charger, but a wire with a charger plug would be easier.
I had my e60 / '07 530xi set up that way. My trickle charger came with a 2-wire lead (red & black) with a polarized plug. I crimped a spade terminal on each bare end; loosened the under-hood + terminal and slipped the red/hot spade terminal under that one; used a near-by screw in the fenderwell area for the ground connection / black lead; coiled the wire and secured the end with the polarized plug that mated with the tender charger 12vdc connection near the front grill. I confirmed all connections were good with a VOM.
I also covered the bare plug with a latex glove / rubber band to keep it clean and dry. When I needed to plug in for cold weather or extended stays It was really easy to do - no need to worry about alligator clips getting unclipped.

Easy to do - maybe a 10 minute job including there were no loose wires wandering around the engine compartment.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
I had my e60 / '07 530xi set up that way. My trickle charger came with a 2-wire lead (red & black) with a polarized plug. When I needed to plug in for cold weather or extended stays It was really easy to do - no need to worry about alligator clips getting unclipped.

Easy to do - maybe a 10 minute job including there were no loose wires wandering around the engine compartment.
That's exactly what I did also. Many manufacturers have this accessory plug available and it is fuse protected:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts