Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
330i OR 540I

Hi everyone. Let me start by saying that I am NOT crazy but I just traded a 330i in for a 540I and I hate it!!! My husband who is not a big car fan(Diesal truck guy) is LOVING the car and thinks I am crazy. Any words of wisdom to cheer me up? I don't feel as sporty in this car and now feel like I should have kids in the back seat. Did I make a huge mistake and would it be dumb to go buy my car back, or maybe just change the rims and tires on the "granny mobile" thanks

·
U know how the game goes
705 Posts
bmwgirl said:
Hi everyone. Let me start by saying that I am NOT crazy but I just traded a 330i in for a 540I and I hate it!!! My husband who is not a big car fan(Diesal truck guy) is LOVING the car and thinks I am crazy. Any words of wisdom to cheer me up? I don't feel as sporty in this car and now feel like I should have kids in the back seat. Did I make a huge mistake and would it be dumb to go buy my car back, or maybe just change the rims and tires on the "granny mobile" thanks
hmm...sounds like quite a pickle you've gotten yourself into.

What exactly were you looking for when you traded in the 330? Do you have any kids to throw in the back seat? Did you NEED a bigger car or did you just want something different?

The best move here all depends on your lifestyle. The 3-series and the 5-series aren't going to drive or ride the same. They are built to fulfill to completely seperate roles.

3 series - sport coupe: compact, swift, agile...
5 series - the world's foremost touring sedan: high speeds, great distances, supreme comfort...

What year was the 330? I'll assume it was an e46 (2000-05)? If thats the case don't go back and get it. That would be a step in the wrong direction.

Instead why not look into trading your '04 540 towards a NEW 2006 330? Have you test driven the new 3er yet? What were your thoughts?

It'd be a nice update from your old car while still maintaining that sporty feel you so crave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure?

My 330 was an 04. I guess I was hoping that after driving the 545 for a while ( its been a whole month) I would learn to love it. BUT I feel so old and no to the kids to put in the back! Any ideas when the new 330 coupes are coming out?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
bmwgirl said:
My 330 was an 04. I guess I was hoping that after driving the 545 for a while ( its been a whole month) I would learn to love it. BUT I feel so old and no to the kids to put in the back! Any ideas when the new 330 coupes are coming out?
So which is it, a 540i or 545i?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
bmwgirl said:
Do you have the Sport package?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chuck 92103

no sports package. funny thing though I LOVE the car you have. Is it the same size as my car? I thought about adding the aero kit to my car but am unsure if it will hurt trade in

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
bmwgirl said:
no sports package. funny thing though I LOVE the car you have. Is it the same size as my car? I thought about adding the aero kit to my car but am unsure if it will hurt trade in
That is probaly why you don't like it as much. The sport package/wheels/suspension, black out trim might appease you more.

You can't get tight suspension installed and change the wheels. It will be cheaper than replacing the car and you will probably be more happy.

The 6 Series is about 6 inches wider than a 3, and a couple feet longer. Most of the room seems to be under the hood and in the trunk. The interior is just a little bigger than a 3 series. I would say the 6 series is the same size overall as the 5 series, however, you have more interior room.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have an '02 330i with stick and a 530xit, and the 3 is definitely more fun to drive. The 5, though, is the car you want for the long highway trip or any errand where you're relegated to the passenger seat...

By the way, quite a few people return to the 3 series after forays with the 5, for precisely the reasons you noted.

·
German freak
316 Posts
I'm curious........... what is your age group, 20's, 30's, 40's?

Everything is relative. To me, a 5-Series is targeted to middle-age adults. Old people drive Coupe de Ville's. 3-Series is 20's & 30's, 5-series is 30's-50's+.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I think the issue here is she got a 540 without the sport package. I am sure she liked here 3 series, but a 5 series without the sport package make it even worse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
chuck92103 said:
I think the issue here is she got a 540 without the sport package. I am sure she liked here 3 series, but a 5 series without the sport package make it even worse.
I agree,the e46 330's came std with the sport suspension.She should of got sport,that makes a big difference.Maybe she can get an after market suspension and wheels,any suggestions?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
rich/minn said:
I agree,the e46 330's came std with the sport suspension.She should of got sport,that makes a big difference.Maybe she can get an after market suspension and wheels,any suggestions?
That would be my choice rather then taking a trade depreciation hit.

Take it to a tuner, do the suspension, wheels, and maybe M aero kit. A few grand and a new car that would be sweet! :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
98 540ia

I understand how shw feels. I felt same way when I bought my 540 till I replaced the shocks and wheels to sport version. Three years later I'm still loving it. I still yearn to go shopping just to drive it. Throw in some Bilstein's instead of trading the car. ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
chuck92103 said:
The 6 Series is about 6 inches wider than a 3, and a couple feet longer. Most of the room seems to be under the hood and in the trunk. The interior is just a little bigger than a 3 series. I would say the 6 series is the same size overall as the 5 series, however, you have more interior room.
The 6 sure doesn't feel more spacious than a 5. :) But I have a cabrio version so my back seats are functional, but not meant for a long haul. :) Front seating is great though. :)

I loved my 3 when I had it, but I wanted a convertible. I wanted a hard top vert originally, but Lexus, MB, and targa topped cars like the Vette were my viable choices. The 6 came into the picture and my wife suggested it. :)

But going from a 330 with sport to a 5 series w/o it could feel a lot more wallowy and less aggressive. I agree with the other posters about getting it tuned, perhaps by Dinan? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts