Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two weeks ago was my better half's birthday. We went on a trip to Colorado which included renting a midsize SUV to drive through the mountains. Upon arriving at the rental desk in Denver, they offered us upgrades. I figured hey, its her birthday - what cha got so she can ride around in style? BMW you say? (They gave us a pretty good rate) so I said lets do it. Probably the worst mistake Ive made in a while. Though funny enough I drove off in a white one that someone RUINED the brakes on... had to turn around to get another and basically the upgrade ended up being free. (score for about 45 minutes of wasted time)

Over the course of the next few days we ended up falling in love with the car. And this is coming from someone when she mentioned looking at BMW's and Mercedes for our next SUV I was firmly against it. We have historically been a Jeep household and they have been nothing but amazing to us. That said, the Jeep doesn't hold a candle to the X5 in any way you slice it.

So here I find myself not only shopping for an X5 but also pushing her that we can do this. lol That said I have a couple concerns. Mainly about warranty issues. I'm not to concerned about the car going into drive and going down the road but I am concerned about all the little toys on these things. So preferably we are looking at a slightly used 2019/2020 with very low miles to save a little but still be under warranty and then I'd be looking to extend that warranty so we can get coverage out to 75k and 5 years from purchase. (ish) We might poke around at a new one but I'm trying to keep this around or under 800 a month without breaking the bank on a down payment.

From what I see and read I need to purchase the vehicle from a BMW dealership to buy a BMW Extended Service Contract? (Platinum, because I want the infotainment and every other whistle covered too) I've found some really good deals outside of BMW dealerships but am willing to pay a little more for this peace of mind. Unless people can chime in with experience on Company XYZ's amazing warranty service.

Thank you for your time in advance!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I understand the attraction, welcome to our obsession! BMW's cannot be compared to your average transportation appliances. The X5 is a superb vehicle but if you've not owned a BMW before it will benefit you in spades if you do your homework first and learn a little about them first. I would recommend searching around this forum a little and read up on what you can find concerning the BMW X5.

Which engine and option packages would you like your new BMW to have? There are some differences that are important to know. For your first BMW I would recommend starting out with a good local dealer. Everyone you come into contact with there has gone through special training to understand the cars and be able to explain about them. Many will have lots of years of experience to help guide you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Luna, looking at a used 19 or 20 you are very close to buying or leasing a new 20 OR 21. I would consider that. You get a 4 year warranty and 3 years on the routine maintenance items. Interest rates are excellent right now and you will be able to forget about getting an extended warranty with its associated high cost. I've bought several Bimmers over the years and have always shopped around and gotten very good deals. Our last Bimmer was a 19 X3 bought in 10/18 and I got $10,500 off of the MSRP. Do your homework, know exactly what you want, shop shop shop, and try to buy locally. If you can't, you can always take delivery at the BMW delivery center in South Carolina and have a ball there. :rofl: This way, you will get exactly what you want and you'll be able to keep the car for a long time because you'll have everything you want in a car. ;) Makes sense, no.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transportation appliance - I laughed so hard at that, but I truly get it after getting to spend several days and 600 some miles in an X5. I truly believe its a portion of what made our trip so amazing.

I did talk with the better half this morning that after doing a bunch of reading on this forum, we may want to keep our options open at looking at a new one if they are willing to cut a good deal. But I will say the 2020 with 4900 miles that they are listing at 58k sounds attractive. (was a demo) This will be our first true luxury vehicle purchase and even though we can easily afford it due life getting vastly better for us over the last several years - its still hard to wrap your head around paying 800ish a month for a vehicle for the first time. So i'm trying to keep this around the high 50's to very low 60's. Maybe we will get a little more "ham" down the road.

As far as what we want, the driving nut in me really wants the 5.0 but I really did enjoy the power of the 4.0. It never left me wishing there was more even when we gained a good bit of altitude. On top of that what makes it special to me is the fact the fuel economy is still quite good for such a large vehicle with good power. Though I'm sure keeping your foot in it to often will ruin that. I think I had averaged roughly 23 something with driving through the mountain roads and still managing to have a little fun.

Thank you for chiming in, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,052 Posts
Read and research, especially the technology options you speak of.
As stated above, get the one you want on the first try. It will also help to go to their online configurator and play around with the options.
Once you get into this you'll find out it is mostly about the options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, unfortunately the BMW is on the back burner for a couple months at least. We were in the market for two vehicles and tripped over this one yesterday. 2019 Limited X with 14k miles. (V8 and a bunch of bells and whistles just like the one behind her that it***8217;s replacing) Granted she***8217;s no X5 but I***8217;m actually kind of happy it worked out this way. It affords is the luxury of more time and the ability to be just that much more picky about what we end up dropping the hammer on. Not to mention I feel better about having the more ***8220;sensible***8221; car up front. Our last Jeep was nothing but amazing to us. Still deciding what to do with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Enjoy your new ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts