Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E39 540i Touring Vermont Green
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing an oil change on my E39 540i next week using a mityvac and am just wondering how warm the oil needs to be when using the extractor? I know it's not an exact science, however Mityvac state that the oil should not exceed 80 degrees centigrade, and even though it's unlikely, the last thing I want is bits of plastic tubing melting off inside my sump. As my car doesn't have an oil temperature gauge, how long should I run it for in the garage from cold before the oil change? Fully up to operating temperature then allow to cool down for a while, just run for 10 minutes, etc? Any feedback and advice from mityvac users would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I haven’t had an issue with running it warm just like properly checking oil level (@Temp and wait 5-10 mins). I wouldn’t want to have it too hot (eg just off track) but for most conditions it is fine.

2001 750iL DD74441
E65 fan & clutch, E65 headrests, Front First Aid Kit, Ultimate Cup holder

2005 X5 4.8is LE82680
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
I use the larger tubing, and seat it into the dipstick until it bottoms in the pan. The tubing feels like polyethlene, so it should withstand the heat due to running to operating temp, shutting off, and draining the filter canister. I've not felt any softening of the tubing, even though it is too hot to handle.

Pricey, do you have the suck-and-blow model?

Reactions: Pricey98

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

It's the 7201, so I believe so yes.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
I have found that the spring-loaded elbow at the top of the tank where the hose connects fails, so that, when it blows, the elbow leaks. I ordered a new one from Mity-Vac: 800.992.9898.

My records indicate p/n 822998, but do verify this when you call. This is a 10 mm elbow.

Reactions: Pricey98

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am UK based, so not sure on mityvac parts availablity here. Will keep an eye on the elbow though, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts