BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so for the 440i xdrive convertible that I have ordered if I want the sport package with 19 inch rims I can only get the mixed Performance tires.... Living in NJ and never having summer tires before I am not sure what do people usually do. Would summer tires be okay if I drive around in the winter but just not in a snowstorm? I'm leasing this car so I really don't want to spend 1k+ for extra tires and rims. So I was thinking, if necessary, I can buy snow tires and mount them on the 19s I'm getting but they are staggered so is it that easy? If Googled around and people say they usually pay 15-20 to mount snow tires on their stock rims.. What do you guys usually do?

·
Porleau
1,537 Posts
Speaking from experience, summer-only tires are dangerous in the winter. Seriously. It's not just the snow/ice, but temperature. The compound will be rock hard making driving dynamics and comfort really bad. I have a winter setup that I have been using for 5 years across 2 leases. It cost about $1200 plus ~$125 for each changeover and has been a great value. A nice bonus is taking 2-3k miles/year off the expensive summer only tires!

Bottom line; you bought a 440i. Go the extra mile and get the winter setup. Be safe.

·
Super Moderator
8,037 Posts
Speaking from experience, summer-only tires are dangerous in the winter. Seriously. It's not just the snow/ice, but temperature. The compound will be rock hard making driving dynamics and comfort really bad. I have a winter setup that I have been using for 5 years across 2 leases. It cost about $1200 plus ~$125 for each changeover and has been a great value. A nice bonus is taking 2-3k miles/year off the expensive summer only tires!

Bottom line; you bought a 440i. Go the extra mile and get the winter setup. Be safe.
This is correct. The soft compound in summer tires gets stiff at temperatures below about 45 degrees F.

Also OP, why not just get the 18" wheels with all season tires? Last, you are buying a $50-60K car, if you want the 19" wheels, budget for winter rims and tires.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
$15 to $20 for the changeover? Seriously? I shudder to think what your beautiful alloys would look like after some gorilla dismounted your RFT's for $15.

Buy yourself a set of square (non-staggered) 18 inch wheels and snow tires, premounted and balanced from the Tire Rack. Put them on at Thanksgiving, take them off in mid-April. You will have the BEST possible tires for all four seasons (vs. the "all seasons" which are a crappy compromise 12 months out of the year). and the added sidewall height of the 18's will give you added pothole protection. When your lease is over you can sell the winter set for 30% to 50% of what you originally paid. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hey guys, so for the 440i xdrive convertible that I have ordered if I want the sport package with 19 inch rims I can only get the mixed Performance tires.... Living in NJ and never having summer tires before I am not sure what do people usually do. Would summer tires be okay if I drive around in the winter but just not in a snowstorm? I'm leasing this car so I really don't want to spend 1k+ for extra tires and rims. So I was thinking, if necessary, I can buy snow tires and mount them on the 19s I'm getting but they are staggered so is it that easy? If Googled around and people say they usually pay 15-20 to mount snow tires on their stock rims.. What do you guys usually do?
Im in southern california, so I dont drive in the snow, but I have read enough here on bimmerfest from people who DO live in the snow to say that you should have a set of snow tires AND rims, as quack advised.

Having the snow tires is actually more important than having the 4 wheel drive. As far as the staggered setup, that setup will make it harder for you to replace ONLY tires, because the sizes are fairly specific.

The best solution was given, which is , if you have a garage, just invest in a square setup of (all 4 same size) of rims, with a set of tires (people here seem to love a tire called blizzacks).

I think thats a better solution than ordering the car with a square setup btw, even though its a little more expensive. All season tires are for us here in Southern California (where you basically need to drive to your snow). They are good for sun and rain. They are not good for any sort of "real" weather like you get in other parts of the country.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went through several NJ winters with summer tires on a RWD car. The rule is simple - summer tires should never touch snow. When roads are dry summer tires are OK, but you have to let them warm up before driving even slightly aggressively.
Still, if you ask me, getting a set of dedicated winter rims and tires is the right thing to do. You can sell them on eBay after you are done with them for 50% of the original price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went through several NJ winters with summer tires on a RWD car. The rule is simple - summer tires should never touch snow. When roads are dry summer tires are OK, but you have to let them warm up before driving even slightly aggressively.
Still, if you ask me, getting a set of dedicated winter rims and tires is the right thing to do. You can sell them on eBay after you are done with them for 50% of the original price.
Thanks for the replies...i am going to look at rims and winter tire package....the TPMS are extra as well correct? That is by specific model from what i have read on the forums?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm in New England and also lease. I went w/ a rwd car w/ staggered summer performance tires. Just to give you one more option, a new square set (same size as the OEM front tires) of Blizzak WS-80 tires cost me $650 for all 4 mounted and balanced on the original wheels. I pay $42 for mounting and balancing twice/year swapping the summer and winter tires using the same wheels and same sensors. I plan on only 5 changeovers so total cost of $860. And as was mentioned, you can sell the tires later provided you don't keep them for the next car.

Many here recommend a complete winter setup with tires, wheels, and sensors. That's what I have for my MB suv and I do the change over myself in my driveway vs the tires only and going to a shop for the BMW. I honestly can't say which is easier. Lugging 4 wheels and tires up from the basement and then back down again vs 4 tires only? Jacking up each corner for the changeover vs going to the shop and going to Stop & Shop and CVS (same plaza) while they do the work?

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
Buy yourself a set of square (non-staggered) 18 inch wheels and snow tires, premounted and balanced from the Tire Rack. Put them on at Thanksgiving, take them off in mid-April. You will have the BEST possible tires for all four seasons (vs. the "all seasons" which are a crappy compromise 12 months out of the year). and the added sidewall height of the 18's will give you added pothole protection. When your lease is over you can sell the winter set for 30% to 50% of what you originally paid. Easy peasy.
:thumbup::thumbup:

"Sticky" this!

·
Registered
837 Posts
There is only one advantage to driving with performance summer tires in the winter.

When you need to parallel park in a tight spot, you don't need to. You just pull up abeam the parking spot, stop, get out, and wth one hand push your car sideways into the parking spot. The tires are harder than hocky pucks and have no measurable traction.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
As others have said, never drive summer tires in snow. In temps below 40 degrees use extra caution and much below freezing, I wouldn't drive on them except in an extreme emergency. If you have a 3 year lease, you will likely have to replace the summer tires before turn in. I would go ahead and but some A/S tires, store the Summer tires and put them back on before you turn the car in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts