BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to start Zaino on my car in the next couple of weeks. I also purchased Meguiars Deep Crystal paint cleaner. It is supposed to restore damaged paint and remove swirl marks. Could I use the paint cleaner if I have Zaino on my car? I only plan on using the cleaner on isolated areas if I see damage or swirl marks. I don't plan on applying the paint cleaner to the entire car. Also what is the difference between the paint cleaner and Meguiars Scratch X? Do they do the same thing?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Honestly I don't know... Hopefully one of the detaling gurus here will know the answer to that question...

However, why not just switch to Zaino completely? Z5 does an excellent job removing fine scratches/swirl marks...

If I remember right (I've been a Zaino addict for quite some time now), Deep Paint Cleaner and ScratchX are similar products. ScratchX seems to be easier to apply by hand and allegedly delivers better results when applied that way. It helps preparing surfaces that are not in good shape, while Deep Paint Cleaner is more for surfaces that are in pretty good shape initially...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have Z5. I have not started to Zaino yet, because the car is two weeks old. I just wanted something to use on isolated incidents, like for etching or scratches, without having to do the entire car. I thought the paint cleaner would be good. Someone else on another forum told me that paint cleaner is usually applied to the entire car, and not on isolated areas. You need Scratch X or something similar for this.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
If your going to do the whole car, then strip the old wax off (they have products that take off any type of wax, including polymers like Zaino, however you can mix your own concoction up with 50/50 water and Alcohol mixture). If your going to do just certain parts, then use the aforementioned concoction and wipe the old wax off that area before applying the paint cleaner.

I'm not up on the Meguiars paint cleaner, but paint cleaners aka Swirl mark removers are okay to use in conjunction with polymer-based products as long as you start on a fresh surface, ie no wax on it. After application and removal of the paint cleaner, then you can wax over the area.

Personally, I use Dawn dish soap to strip the wax of the entire car (I use Carnauba-based wax) then clay bar to remove imbedded contaminents in the clear coat, then polish (if needed) and finally a paint cleaner, then a coat of wax.

20,210 Posts
Ripsnort said:
(they have products that take off any type of wax, including polymers like Zaino, however you can mix your own concoction up with 50/50 water and Alcohol mixture).
do you know which products out there will strip Zaino? I haven't seen a strictly polymer removal product out there. I'd rather buy a pre-packaged proven product than mix my own, even if it gives similar results.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Joe Testani said:
Will dawn remove Zaino and what kind of alcohol should I use and where can I buy it? Also how so I take off the paint cleaner, or swirl mark remover? Will dawn or the alcohol mix do it?
No, Dawn will not remove Polymer or acrylic based products. Isopropyl alcohol is sold at any grocery store.
I do not have my Griots catalog with me, and the aforementioned "wax removal" product is not on their website, but I can give you the information on this tonight.

Paint cleaner should be applied and removed like any polish or wax, just rub it in, and remove it with either 100% cotton towels or Microfiber towels. YOu can put Polymer based wax (Zaino) on top of any paint-cleaned surface, these do not react negatively with the polymers whatsoever.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Per Rip's request.............

Fine hand polish from Griots.
The stuff I'm thinking about getting is Griot's polish

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Eh, no, thats not the stuff I was talking about in the other thread, but thanks!

Its a spray on product, that removes all chemicals from the clear coat finish (basically its water and alcohol mixture I am betting...I use a 50/50 mixture to prep surfaces when I am about to touch up the surface with paint)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Eh, no, thats not the stuff I was talking about in the other thread, but thanks!

Its a spray on product, that removes all chemicals from the clear coat finish (basically its water and alcohol mixture I am betting...I use a 50/50 mixture to prep surfaces when I am about to touch up the surface with paint)
I think you mean this...........paint prep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.