BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NAV in my 2004 325 XiT is behaving strangely when it loses its connection to the Satellite. As soon as I make a sharp turn (90 degrees or more) the map/arrow starts to rotate at a slow speed. If I stop it will do this continously.

The dealer upgraded the software to the latest version (2.71 I think), but the problem still occurs. I am guessing there is something wrong with either the gyro or steering sensor.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
7 months ago, my nav lost position a few times, I took it in, and the dealership replaced the system...how often is this occurring for you, and if it is occurring often, it should be replaced under warranty free. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
330ximd said:
7 months ago, my nav lost position a few times, I took it in, and the dealership replaced the system...how often is this occurring for you, and if it is occurring often, it should be replaced under warranty free. Best of luck.
It happens every day. The system corrects when it gets a GPS lock though which is making it hard to diagnose for the dealer.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
The dealer should know better when it comes to this type of problem. If you can, go to the dealer, and tell him it happens too often now, please replace the system, and if the dealer gives you problems, I'll go to my dealer, get my history of my nav system, and fax it to you, in order for you to have a precedent case as an example/model for them to work by.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
adgrant said:
It happens every day. The system corrects when it gets a GPS lock though which is making it hard to diagnose for the dealer.
I agree that the dealer should know better. If they can't duplicate, tell them to drive around INSIDE the repair shop, as the GPS won't see satelite in there.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
jonesy said:
Sounds like the gyro compass, not the Nav unit
The gyroscope is electronic, w/in the Nav unit. If it is faulty, the Nav unit will have to be replaced either way.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have a second appointment with the dealer. I agree that it sounds like the gyro. I spoke to the foreman at the dealer and he did not seem to really be that clued up about NAV units (didn't even realize there is a gyroscope in the NAV unit).

That said in order to reproduce the problem, the car actually has to change direction when it does not have a satellite lock. The car can't turn in the dealer service bay.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inbetween my first and second appointments, the moving map display froze and then today, just before bringing in the car, the display went blank.

I now have a new NAV unit in the car and working dead reckoning again.

BTW my loaner was an E90. The E46 is a much nicer car.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Nice. Sounds similar to my NAV replacement experience. Did they include version 27.1 as the software on the NAV?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
330ximd said:
Nice. Sounds similar to my NAV replacement experience. Did they include version 27.1 as the software on the NAV?
Good question, I need to check. Not sure I want to risk another upgrade if they didn't though.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
27.1 is much more stable then 26-27...they fixed the satellite acquisition issue, so they released 27.1... I haven't had any problems w/ it since I installed it a couple months ago... :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
330ximd said:
27.1 is much more stable then 26-27...they fixed the satellite acquisition issue, so they released 27.1... I haven't had any problems w/ it since I installed it a couple months ago... :)
I will check it out. The system is dead reckoning perfectly BTW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts