BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the right is the last mobil1 oil that I bought for my E 60 and on the left is the one that I just bought today at Walmart - you will notice that BMW is no longer on the list of approved cars on the front.

:(
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1478464786.354601.jpg

·
MT = Doppler Shifting
975 Posts
There's been some message traffic about this on one of the MINI forums. Apparently Mobil 1 0W40 has recently been re-formulated, and lost its "long life" certification from BMW. According to what I've read, all that means is that BMW won't 'approve' it for it's 10,000- or 15,000-mile oil change interval. But if you (like many of us) have switched to a more frequent oil change interval (say 5,000 miles), the new formulation should be fine in your engine.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's been some message traffic about this on one of the MINI forums. Apparently Mobil 1 0W40 has recently been re-formulated, and lost its "long life" certification from BMW. According to what I've read, all that means is that BMW won't 'approve' it for it's 10,000- or 15,000-mile oil change interval. But if you (like many of us) have switched to a more frequent oil change interval (say 5,000 miles), the new formulation should be fine in your engine.
Thank you for the info - I was letting it go 7500 as a compromise, but it seems the price dropped a little and I'm ok with 5k intervals. It's not like the oil change takes long to do - I can do it in 30 minutes and I let it drip until it has practically stopped dripping out. :thumbup:

I prefer the 0W40 to 5W30 for Colorado.

It's no wonder people get confused by this stuff - according to the Mobil Oil website, there are no recommended Mobil oils for my car:

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sel...gine=QmFzZSA2LUN5bCAzLjAgKE41NEIzMEEpIChHQVMp

But according to BMW - the PDF was called "BMW Current Listing of Synthetic Oils (US Market)" - Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 is approved.

Confusing.. grrrr.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The date on your document is 2008. One must read the fine print.
yes - my car is an 09 and while oils change, the car hasn't. The top result on bing is that doc. 2nd result on google - that doc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts