Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner manual states there is a mobility system under the rear cargo tray but I just see the tool kit. Did our cars come with this system or is it purchased separately?

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
Firstly if you bought the car second hand generally previous owners keep the kits, so you will have to buy a new one! they are often on Ebay,

·
The Quiet One
39 Posts
I bought one from BMW. Leaked, and wouldn***8217;t hold pressure right out of the box. The theory of turning a switch on the compressor to add tire sealant is interesting. I would never use this and gum up my TPM. Comes in a nice BMW black bag with anti skid bottom for the trunk placement. It now holds my air compressor.

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
They don't gum up the TPM, even after market tyre sealants don't do this, especially BMW's own!! Remember many M' series cars don't carry spare tyres , don't have run flat tyres and the sealant kit is the only way home!!!

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
There are lots of things mentioned in the owners manual...that may not apply to one's car. It all depends on how the car is optioned. The manual covers everything...but not every car comes with everything.

Unfortunately, BMW changed the manual...the old generation BMW manuals used an asterisk {*} in the title heading...which indicated that the subject matter was optional and may not apply to your car. The new manuals...just list everything and don't indicated that the topic may be optional. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Here's a CR (consumer report) video on slim kits & mobility kits. I find the comparisons between the two (cans vs mobility kit w/compressor) interesting and good food for thought in regards to the temp warning and the danger of storing the cans in the trunk.

I also question the remarks in these discussions about clean-up of the slime. If the tire has a puncture (this is usually when you need to use the slime)...the tire is basically a goner and should be replaced if its not going to be professionally patched. And patching the tire usually doesn't require it being removed from the wheel. So I don't get the comments about having to clean up the slime etc. You never come into contact with it until the tire needs to come off...and most people have this done at a shop...so they're the ones that would be doing any cleaning.

And it also depends on where the puncture in the tire is located. If it is a sidewall puncture...the tire usually can't be repaired due to the load that is placed on the sidewall. If the puncture is is on the contact patch of the tire...this is usually repairable as long as the hole's diameter isn't too large. All of this needs to be considered if using a mobility kit (or a can of slime). If you have a mobility kit...you can just use the compressor to re-inflate the tire and see if that can get you home or to a repair shop. The slime only needs to be used if the tire can't hold any air pressure without it.

Just some more thoughts. :)

https://youtu.be/82dB4XfUc-o

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
With regards to the term patch, this is how punctures are repaired nowadays, so they remove the wheel clean out the slime and then put a vulcanised patch over the puncture hole on the inside of the tyre, similar to a bicycle tyre. You are referring to the old method of a rubber plug. I have used slime that stays permanently in the tyre, it comes into its own if there is a puncture and self seals, you may never even know you have had a puncture. Many police forces use this method. The only issue is that for the first couple of miles the wheels feel unbalanced until the inner tyre is recoated. As has been mentioned when replacing the tyre just warn the tyre technician and he just washes out the solution. I have even used slime on runflat tyres, as in the past many would not repair a puncture in a runflat tyre, so with the slime in there it lasts until replacement.
Once a runflat tyre has run any distance with zero pressure it is finished, it might have got you home but the sidewall is totally compromised. If you ensure the tyre even with a puncture have not run at zero pressure then the tyre can be repaired.

·
Registered
238 Posts
With regards to the term patch, this is how punctures are repaired nowadays, so they remove the wheel clean out the slime and then put a vulcanised patch over the puncture hole on the inside of the tyre, similar to a bicycle tyre.

Actually they the best repair is a mushroom type plug that is both a plug and a vulcanised patch in one unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts