Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 4287 Posts

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the news says today the first 30 Model 3 will be delivered. It looks like Musk is on schedule this time.

Will prospective F30 buyers/lessees choose Model 3 instead?

·
Porleau
1,490 Posts
I wouldn't, but that's just me.

·
///Member
508 Posts

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
The answer is: It depends. I'd consider one (earlier in the year I was looking at the Chevy Volt) but not as my sole vehicle. While the Model 3 (and Chevy Bolt) is an improvement in electric vehicles they still have a ways to go before they're going to replace fossil fuel powered vehicles. Part of that ways to go is a supporting infrastructure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd go for Tesla just because they are starting up. And they are trying. It doesn't hurt to help your fellow entrepreneurs. Once BMW rolls out its electric 3 series to compete with the model 3 damn boi. But cmon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Seems like a reasonable option for 2-car families that have a separate road-trip vehicle. We have an X5 we usually use for roadtrips, but we do sometimes take the 335i when we're traveling light, so a pure electric vehicle wouldn't work for us.

The entry-luxury sporty compact sedan space is very crowded and mature though. Seems unlikely that Tesla would "kill" any of the major players (A4, C-class, 3-series) with their very first effort. Especially when you consider that Lexus and Cadillac have been unsuccessfully knocking at that door for about a decade now.

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
When a sub 3.5 sec 0-60 arrives in the cpo market for sub 40k, its over for the bmw 3 series

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
I don't think the Model 3 is even a direct competitor

That being said, the idea of the car is quite enticing next time around

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
When a sub 3.5 sec 0-60 arrives in the cpo market for sub 40k, its over for the bmw 3 series
The problem with these 0-60 times is the battery cannot sustain such hard acceleration. The Model S may be the fastest 0-60 car but it can't sustain it.

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
The problem with these 0-60 times is the battery cannot sustain such hard acceleration. The Model S may be the fastest 0-60 car but it can't sustain it.

I agree but not a lot of ppl, even here, care about that. How many ppl here upgrade their fmic to avoid heat soak? How many ppl have realized msport brakes with stock pads fade fairly quickly when tracking hard? Not a lot. how many ppl here care about hp and 0-60 times here? Lots

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
You can find a charging station in as many locations as you can a gas station?
Yes and no. Except for super super-charger stations, no charging station is comparable to a gas station - the filling rate is much much much slower. The only reason people consider them comparable is that most people don't drive their cars during work hours or at night.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
I agree but not a lot of ppl, even here, care about that. How many ppl here upgrade their fmic to avoid heat soak? How many ppl have realized msport brakes with stock pads fade fairly quickly when tracking hard? Not a lot. how many ppl here care about hp and 0-60 times here? Lots
Apparently you did as you brought it up.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Yes and no. Except for super super-charger stations, no charging station is comparable to a gas station - the filling rate is much much much slower. The only reason people consider them comparable is that most people don't drive their cars during work hours or at night.
Then the answer is: No.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
How long will your BMW last if you always drive 0-60 in under five seconds?
Can't say. What I can say is that, barring any mechanical breakdown my BMW will post similar 0-60 times well after the Tesla Model S is sideline at a charging station.

1 - 20 of 4287 Posts