Bimmerfest BMW banner

3861 - 3880 of 4287 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Rented a diesel G20 in Europe this time. No EV can compete with that in terms of road tripping. Did 500 miles on one tank, driving between 80 and 130mph.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
"Tesla remotely disables Autopilot on used Model S after it was sold

Tesla says the owner can’t use features it says ‘they did not pay for"

. What the hell! So basically you can buy a used tesla and there's no certainty that you'll have some of the features a while later...

. Lol... Tesla

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts

Tesla says the owner can’t use features it says ‘they did not pay for"

. What the hell! So basically you can buy a used tesla and there's no certainty that you'll have some of the features a while later...

. Lol... Tesla
So Tesla wants to resell the options on a car they already sold. Why not disable the whole car and make the second owner buy everything off them? Maybe that's the next step?

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,864

Tesla says the owner can***8217;t use features it says ***8216;they did not pay for"
It is unclear from jalponik article, so did Tesla object to the new owner not paying for these features, or was it the original owner who got FSD/AP without paying?

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
It is unclear from jalponik article, so did Tesla object to the new owner not paying for these features, or was it the original owner who got FSD/AP without paying?
There was a period of time where Tesla added AP to used cars in order move them faster.

For anyone who is buying into the hysteria, if you paid for AP and sell your car to someone else Tesla does not deactivate the features. This appears to be one of a handful of "one off" situations in which possibly the AP was never even originally paid for and Tesla caught it in an audit.

Since Tesla advertised to the 3rd party dealer who THEY sold the car to that the car had AP and AP was functional when the transaction was completed, Tesla should do the honorable thing and turn the feature back on.

Your version of events though in which an evil Tesla tries to rip off customers by getting a double dip on paid for features sure plays better with the Tesla hating crowd.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,866
Your version of events though in which an evil Tesla tries to rip off customers by getting a double dip on paid for features sure plays better with the Tesla hating crowd.
My post#3864 said the following, so what specific version of events is your post referring to?

Also in another thread the following question was raised too.

The car is supposed to be auctioned, and later sold, as-is, correct? If so it will not make sense Tesla can delete feature OTA.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,867
There was a period of time where Tesla added AP to used cars in order move them faster.
Since Tesla advertised to the 3rd party dealer who THEY sold the car to that the car had AP and AP was functional when the transaction was completed, Tesla should do the honorable thing and turn the feature back on.
It is unclear if there are contract clauses that say "free" AP on used cars from Tesla is only for the first used car buyer.

Also it is unclear if the auction listing of the Model S with AP/FSD in question had clear disclosure that AP/FSD will not follow the car after auction.

If either of the above 2 disclosures is not in effect, then Tesla should not just arbitrarily disable those features after the sales are final.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,868
So the jalponik article now has screenshots of window sticker that showed EAP + FSD, as well as signed auction disclosure form that showed no intent to de-content the car after auction.

The used car dealer also commented that in his anecdotal experience(of selling dozens of used Tesla's yearly), this was not the first occasion that Tesla deleted features after sales.

Some Tesla enthusiasts may try to spin this as one-off, and/or make up versions of events that fit their mindsets, but these incidents(if factual) should be strongly objected by Tesla owners to keep Tesla honest.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-removes-autopilot-features-from-customer-1841472617

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
So the jalponik article now has screenshots of window sticker that showed EAP + FSD, as well as signed auction disclosure form that showed no intent to de-content the car after auction.

The used car dealer also commented that in his anecdotal experience(of selling dozens of used Tesla's yearly), this was not the first occasion that Tesla deleted features after sales.

Some Tesla enthusiasts may try to spin this as one-off, and/or make up versions of events that fit their mindsets, but these incidents(if factual) should be strongly objected by Tesla owners to keep Tesla honest.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-removes-autopilot-features-from-customer-1841472617
If the purchaser has that type of proof, it's blatant breech of contract, and Tesla won't be able to get away with it. From what I've seen over the years, every manufacturer and dealer out there occasionally does something stupid like this. The difference is that Tesla gets massive publicity for any possible wrong, whereas rare instances like this from other manufacturers and dealers are generally ignored by the media.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,870
If the purchaser has that type of proof, it's blatant breech of contract, and Tesla won't be able to get away with it. From what I've seen over the years, every manufacturer and dealer out there occasionally does something stupid like this. The difference is that Tesla gets massive publicity for any possible wrong, whereas rare instances like this from other manufacturers and dealers are generally ignored by the media.
This specific Telsa mishap is drowned by media covering TSLA shooting up and down., and is mainly discussed(rightfully so) at Tesla forums.

Nonetheless this sets a bad precedence that other manufacturers can follow, and that's bad for everyone.

E.g. imagine someone buys a used F30 328i, and then a dealer visit can strip factory tune to downgrade to 320i(same engine in both 320i and 328i except a software tune).

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
This specific Telsa mishap is drowned by media covering TSLA shooting up and down., and is mainly discussed(rightfully so) at Tesla forums.

Nonetheless this sets a bad precedence that other manufacturers can follow, and that's bad for everyone.

E.g. imagine someone buys a used F30 328i, and then a dealer visit can strip factory tune to downgrade to 320i(same engine in both 320i and 328i except a software tune).
This really isn't anything new and there is no precedent being set. Plenty of manufacturers including BMW have put the wrong software on their cars over the years. The bottom line is that assuming the story is true as presented, Tesla is in breech of contract, doesn't have a leg to stand on, and will have to fix it.

I actually have personal experience with BMW screwing up the programming on a car. I have a 2003 330i ZHP. The early ones like mine had some issues with the engine programming and when the dealer tried to fix it, they put the regular 330i programming on it. I noticed it fairly quickly since the redline was 300RPM less. I took it back to the dealer and they insisted that it had the right software on it.

What I ended up doing was taking it to a dyno where I videoed it being run up to redline and top speed; the ZHP package also raised the top speed limiter to 155 MPH. When I showed the video to the dealer, they finally admitted that they had put the wrong software on it, but to fix it, they had to send the processor to BMW corporate to get it programmed properly which took about a week with the car down.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,872
This really isn't anything new and there is no precedent being set. Plenty of manufacturers including BMW have put the wrong software on their cars over the years. The bottom line is that assuming the story is true as presented, Tesla is in breech of contract, doesn't have a leg to stand on, and will have to fix it.

I actually have personal experience with BMW screwing up the programming on a car. I have a 2003 330i ZHP. The early ones like mine had some issues with the engine programming and when the dealer tried to fix it, they put the regular 330i programming on it. I noticed it fairly quickly since the redline was 300RPM less. I took it back to the dealer and they insisted that it had the right software on it.

What I ended up doing was taking it to a dyno where I videoed it being run up to redline and top speed; the ZHP package also raised the top speed limiter to 155 MPH. When I showed the video to the dealer, they finally admitted that they had put the wrong software on it, but to fix it, they had to send the processor to BMW corporate to get it programmed properly which took about a week with the car down.
Your experience was incorrect ECU integration level within new car warranty, right?

Your case has up to the end of new car warranty to fix, at all costs, or BMW can lemon/buyback at minimal cost to customers.

Similarly my F30 went through several iterations of alarm HW + SW updates as guinea pigs, there was zero worry on my part that it would work(and it did).

What Tesla did this round is very different from incorrect software update.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
Your experience was incorrect ECU integration level within new car warranty, right?

Your case has up to the end of new car warranty to fix, at all costs, or BMW can lemon/buyback at minimal cost to customers.

Similarly my F30 went through several iterations of alarm HW + SW updates as guinea pigs, there was zero worry on my part that it would work(and it did).

What Tesla did this round is very different from incorrect software update.
It is not as different as you state.

AP existing on the car is simply a software switch. The car (not the owner) has the switch set based on whether AP was ever legally purchased. Tesla have over the years occasionally done things like accidentally enabling AP for cars where nobody ever purchased it, they catch this later in an audit and patch it out and the person who never paid for AP loses it.

In this case Tesla indicated to the dealer that the car had AP, then later determined it had never been purchased and turned it off. As Greg said, legally Tesla has no leg to stand on.

Alternatively let's say that you have a Tesla where AP was accidentally turned on by Tesla. You quickly sell the car to a new owner and advertise it has working AP since you can demonstrate it.

Then Tesla catches the error and turns it off. Is the new buyer of the car entitled to the feature that was never actually purchased by anyone?

What Tesla needs to do is add the purchase/contract information about AP to the vehicle information screen so it shows when AP was purchased.... if AP is turned on due to a software error, free trial period, etc., then it should be apparent that it has not yet been purchased.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,874
It is not as different as you state.
The main difference(even among software updates) is really that Tesla can do OTA to add/delete major features on a sold car, and this incident surely sets a precedence by deploying OTA after final sales of a used car.

Greg's example of botched service visit is in a different class of problems, and the only resemblance to this Tesla's incident is software related(and that covers a lot of things these days).

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
The main difference(even among software updates) is really that Tesla can do OTA to add/delete major features on a sold car, and this incident surely sets a precedence by deploying OTA after final sales of a used car.

Greg's example of botched service visit is in a different class of problems, and the only resemblance to this Tesla's incident is software related(and that covers a lot of things these days).
The only difference I see between the two is that Teslas can be updated OTA without bringing them to the dealer while my car had to be brought to the dealer. From a legal standpoint, I don't see why it would matter whether the wrong software was installed OTA or at the dealer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I purchased a 2015 tesla model s 6 months ago and it has all the features it had originally and yes it has autopilot.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The upcoming(2021?) i4 EV looks quite interesting.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/1370887/bmw-previews-electric-gran-coupe-with-concept-i4/

It is possible the legends of BMW owners who move to Tesla will return to BMW. and not stop talking about this i4. :bigpimp:
I think you are partially right. We will not stop talking about the hideousness of the I4 grill, especially on a car that doesn't need a big grill for cooling. Just plain ugly. I would overpay for a Tesla before buying the new I4. And I love my 530e.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
I think you are partially right. We will not stop talking about the hideousness of the I4 grill, especially on a car that doesn't need a big grill for cooling. Just plain ugly. I would overpay for a Tesla before buying the new I4. And I love my 530e.
I totally agree about the i4 grill being hideous. It is so bad that I wouldn't buy the car because of it. They should have just copied the G20's nose.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,880
It will be of interest to see if the monster grill serves any real function.

E.g. can it be for a radiator that cools the space age AI/ML self-driving? :)

In fact one of the latest learning solutions from local small business(aka startup) does burn 5kW and require a radiator to cool!

3861 - 3880 of 4287 Posts