Bimmerfest BMW banner

4081 - 4100 of 4287 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
N20 motor blowing up has been my stated reason of starting this thread(3+ years ago!) and monitoring Tesla progress, as local Tesla factory delivery would be quite convenient for a replacement tool. :p

But given current sets of data and owner experience, my gut feel is that if BMW does not deliver recall/15 years 150000 miles warranty, then the next ride will be a Honda/Toyota. :D

For current Model 3 owners though, knowing the improvements of Model Y over Model 3 should give clues what are deficiencies of Model 3.
Honda isn't that good any more. Toyota or the Koreans if reliability is important.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I own a model 3 and could care less about how some model Y got water inside. By great tools do you mean like the bmw n20 motor that has a good chance of blowing up in under 60k miles? Now that’s a total piece of garbage and cheap inferior design.
There is a difference between finding an issue past the 50k mi and pushing cars out of the factory without quality control.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yes, the big difference is that problems after 50k are unlikely to be covered by the warranty.
Car makers are interested in keeping the second owner happy as well otherwise lease end residual value drops affecting new car sales. So no.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
Car makers are interested in keeping the second owner happy as well otherwise lease end residual value drops affecting new car sales. So no.
That only applies if the particular manufacturer offers some sort of CPO program like BMW and only for the individual cars that the manufacturer decides to certify. The vast majority of used cars sold are sold with little to no warranty. Even with their CPO program the actual values of used BMWs are rather poor, and often below the residuals on the leases.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
That only applies if the particular manufacturer offers some sort of CPO program like BMW and only for the individual cars that the manufacturer decides to certify. The vast majority of used cars sold are sold with little to no warranty. Even with their CPO program the actual values of used BMWs are rather poor, and often below the residuals on the leases.
It's not about extended warranty. If cars fail likely at around 70-80k mi second owners don't want to pay much for the lease end cars so leasing of a new car becomes expensive hurting sales.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
It's not about extended warranty. If cars fail likely at around 70-80k mi second owners don't want to pay much for the lease end cars so leasing of a new car becomes expensive hurting sales.
You were the one who brought up issues past 50k. Now you're saying that's an invalid point, effectively disagreeing with yourself. ;)

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,089
You were the one who brought up issues past 50k. Now you're saying that's an invalid point, effectively disagreeing with yourself. ;)
Acoste made 2 points:

1. cars failing 50-60k are long term reliability issues that are very different than initial reliability issues(e.g. Tesla's) straight out of factories.

2. car failing 50-60k and beyond hurt resale/residual/brand loyalty, so manufacturers strive for long term reliability way beyond 50-60k.

Merging those 2 points into one takes finesse and deceit, both of which seem to be strengths of Tesla cult members. :p

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,090 (Edited)
A Honda or Toyota lol, would never drive one of those junk cars. Between the wife and I we have purchased 8 BMW's over the years and have really enjoyed them. But now that we have experienced Tesla we will only drive them in the future.
No problem, buy/lease 8 BMW's or Tesla's or Honda's or Toyota's is your choice and money.

Inquisitive minds do look at the numbers from all angles to get ideas what each tool offering can provide.

As far as N20/N26 TC issues, it may be disappointing to some that the majority of I4's are N26 in PZEV states, and those engines are covered for 15 years/150k miles for CEL.

Do note CEL can be triggered by TC issues(e.g. camshaft timing off). And by the time CEL is triggered, a new engine is likely needed, on BMWNA's dime.

So some speculate that BMWNA may settle for a TC recall/extended warranty for 15-yr/150k miles, in order to save money on those N26.

That is an example that manufacturer skipping reliability fresh out of factory and/or past 100-150k miles and beyond will pay.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,569 Posts
Ya that***8217;s it I have so much fear of some jealous haters of Tesla lol. Keep on hating while I enjoy driving the most fun and unique vehicle ever made.
You have to have has a number of very boring cars to make that statement. You need to break out of the box & expand your automobile universe.:lmao:

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,092
Hmm online search still can't find any picture/video of Model 3 corrugated tube usage for low-voltage wiring, can some inquisitive Model 3 owners(e.g. GregD) take some photos/videos? :D
OK since the active Tesla owners on this forum do not bite, here is a video from a couple of years back from a Model 3 owner with inquisitive mind.

So there are lots of corrugated tubes under frunk panel, that matches my recollection last time this video was watched, so it puzzles me why Munro got so excited about "never done before" corrugated tube usage in Tesla.

One possibility is that Model 3 underside(no video found yet) does not have such corrugated tubes, while Model Y does have those tubes.

If true that will imply some practical reason to do so, maybe due to heat around battery pack and rear motor or something?!? (as a reminder, this is an enthusiastic [email protected]#$! :D)

BTW it is still sad that Tesla saved cost by not spraying the whole frame with body color ....:cry: Not a pretty sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kull7X6Tvns

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,094
You have to have has a number of very boring cars to make that statement. You need to break out of the box & expand your automobile universe.:lmao:
Just before lockdown a previous colleague picked me up in his 911 GTS heading to reunion lunch, and that was a great shotgun experience. :thumbup:

In contrast, the Model 3 rides to group lunch usually are uneventful, or just meh .... :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
It’s been all BMW’s for the last 15 years and now my wife drives a Tesla. Which makes all ICE cars very boring to drive. Your are driving in the past in your grandpa’s car, but I am driving the future driving machines. No silly gas and oil needed and noisy jerky feeling. The Tesla is instant torque and super smooth performance that your out of date cars cannot come close to.

·
Registered
538 Posts
OK since the active Tesla owners on this forum do not bite, here is a video from a couple of years back from a Model 3 owner with inquisitive mind.

So there are lots of corrugated tubes under frunk panel, that matches my recollection last time this video was watched, so it puzzles me why Munro got so excited about "never done before" corrugated tube usage in Tesla.

One possibility is that Model 3 underside(no video found yet) does not have such corrugated tubes, while Model Y does have those tubes.

If true that will imply some practical reason to do so, maybe due to heat around battery pack and rear motor or something?!? (as a reminder, this is an enthusiastic [email protected]#$! :D)

BTW it is still sad that Tesla saved cost by not spraying the whole frame with body color ....:cry: Not a pretty sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kull7X6Tvns

Well that’s it I’m returning my Tesla because they didn’t paint the whole frame with body color paint. That completely ruins the car and makes it not worth driving.

·
Registered
538 Posts
8 BMW's in 15 years all leases?
That’s between the wife and I, and no we don’t lease. We purchase them a couple of years old with 30-40k miles on them run them until 100k or so then trade and get a newer one. I get bored after a few years and like to change vehicles pretty often.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,099
Well that's it I'm returning my Tesla because they didn't paint the whole frame with body color paint. That completely ruins the car and makes it not worth driving.
The robot arms just need to make one or two extra passes, but [email protected] said no. :(

And if someone does take the time to dissemble frunk panel and is not happy with missing paint job, make sure to follow Tesla return policy, e.g. make sure state incentives are not paid!

BTW are u one of those inquisitive Model 3 owners that will jack up the car to take off rear frame panels to check for corrugated tubes? :D

If so please take some photos. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,100
That’s between the wife and I, and no we don’t lease. We purchase them a couple of years old with 30-40k miles on them run them until 100k or so then trade and get a newer one. I get bored after a few years and like to change vehicles pretty often.
How is your experience owning those 8 BMW's 30-40k to 100k? Any expensive out-of-pocket expense?

4081 - 4100 of 4287 Posts