Bimmerfest BMW banner

4221 - 4240 of 4287 Posts

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
The prediction did materialize with Tesla Model 3 Jan/Feb 2019 US volume dropped to 6k, while China/Europe sales had not yet picked up at the time. :p

That was also a great time to double down on TSLA when it dropped 50%.:thumbup:
Well, I talked a lot of **** about TSLA stock being over-valued at $300 a share and waffled on dumping $20K in when it dropped to $180.

Joke is on me.

·
Swedish Murder Machine
4,387 Posts
So I just got an update pushed OTA to my car today.

Tesla continuing to improve product years after customer purchased the product, for FREE continues to be one of the things I am most amazed and impressed by. These aren't limited to bug fixes but include entirely new features. In the entire time I owned BMWs (2 3 series cars over 6.5 years, 3 Minis and an older E46 purchased quite some time ago that doesn't qualify) I have AT MOST gotten a patch or two that fixed glaring bugs like BT connection problems.

By comparison the update that I got today included;

• Sentry mode playback now jumps to and marks point in recording that it was activated (adding to the already brand new sentry mode feature and brand new viewer feature).
  • Backup camera now has option to pipe in video from the side cameras. While not as slick as overhead parking view this is a huge step in closing the gap.
  • The auto-lock when you walk away from the car feature can now exclude this when the car is parked at home, if you choose. This adds to the already great geofencing features that allow for automatic opening/closing of garage door, fold/unfold of power mirrors.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,569 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Lucid range over 500
Yep, 40% over Model S LR+

// Lucid did 2 cycle test and reached 517
// The results for the 2 cycle test of the Model S is ~370mi

It has a very low rolling resistance. Equals to the Model 3 SR (which is much lighter).

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
Yep, 40% over Model S LR+

// Lucid did 2 cycle test and reached 517
// The results for the 2 cycle test of the Model S is ~370mi

It has a very low rolling resistance. Equals to the Model 3 SR (which is much lighter).
It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. It's not easy to start a new car company as we've all seen with Tesla's start up pains. The range is certainly possible. They were originally saying that they'd have a 130kWh battery pack or 30% more than a Tesla model S. Add 30% to a Tesla's 402 mil range and you're up to 522 miles. It would mean that their efficiency is comparable to Tesla's with the Model S. If so, they will have achieved something that none of the legacy manufacturers have been able to achieve.

Lucid has Saudi money behind it, so theoretically they should have the resources to actually bring their car to market. The questions are whether or not they're able to produce them in a timely fashion at a cost close to planned, and whether or not people will buy them at a price that will allow a reasonable profit. Funding could die up fairly quickly if they are unable to achieve their milestones.

I think that selling the Lucid might be tough. The price is supposed to start at over $100k, and while I think there are some cool elements to its design, particularly in the interior, I find the exterior to be butt ugly. That's with the prototype; we'll have to wait until 9/9 for the Lucid reveal to get the details and see the production version or at least something close to it.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off. It's not easy to start a new car company as we've all seen with Tesla's start up pains. The range is certainly possible. They were originally saying that they'd have a 130kWh battery pack or 30% more than a Tesla model S. Add 30% to a Tesla's 402 mil range and you're up to 522 miles. It would mean that their efficiency is comparable to Tesla's with the Model S. If so, they will have achieved something that none of the legacy manufacturers have been able to achieve.

Lucid has Saudi money behind it, so theoretically they should have the resources to actually bring their car to market. The questions are whether or not they're able to produce them in a timely fashion at a cost close to planned, and whether or not people will buy them at a price that will allow a reasonable profit. Funding could die up fairly quickly if they are unable to achieve their milestones.

I think that selling the Lucid might be tough. The price is supposed to start at over $100k, and while I think there are some cool elements to its design, particularly in the interior, I find the exterior to be butt ugly. That's with the prototype; we'll have to wait until 9/9 for the Lucid reveal to get the details and see the production version or at least something close to it.

517/370 = 40% longer range as explained above

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
517/402 = 29% longer range as explained above. 370 is an old number.

The Model S has a 402 mile range with a 100 kWh battery pack. With a 130 kWh battery pack, the range extrapolated out is 522 miles.
No.

Model S achieved 402 with the 5 cycle test. They also performed the 2 cycle test which resulted in ~370mi range.
Lucid did the 2 cycle test.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
No.

Model S achieved 402 with the 5 cycle test. They also performed the 2 cycle test which resulted in ~370mi range.
Lucid did the 2 cycle test.
Model S (in the previous results where the EPA range came to ~396) achieved

552*0.55+518*0.45 = 537mi

Lucid: 738mi

738/(537+8) = 1.354

ok, 35%, not 40

Add to this that Lucid has less than 130kWh battery versus Model S's 102kWh.

Attachments

·
Driver
2,763 Posts

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
Model S (in the previous results where the EPA range came to ~396) achieved

552*0.55+518*0.45 = 537mi

Lucid: 738mi

738/(537+8) = 1.354

ok, 35%, not 40

Add to this that Lucid has less than 130kWh battery versus Model S's 102kWh.
402 miles according to the EPA
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42755

Regarding the unadjusted numbers, they're basically nonsense, and trying to make any point with them is a fool's errand. I see no point in addressing such nonsense.

Where are you getting 102kWh for the Tesla battery from? I have seen no official numbers from Tesla or the EPA claiming this. Tesla doesn't even make a kWh claim any more on their new cars.

As for the Lucid, all we have is Motor Trend's claim that Lucid has told them that the size has been "trimmed" from 130kWh. Talk about a meaningless statement, but you just go ahead and hang on to that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
has been "trimmed" from 130kWh.
which means it's less than 130. that's what I said. not sure I get your complaint.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
which means it's less than 130. that's what I said. not sure I get your complaint.
For all we know, it could be 129.999999 kWh, but as I explained in my prior post trying to get too precise with these numbers is arbitrary. The proof will be what the EPA rating of the final version of the car is, and how the batteries hold up in the vehicle over time.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So, nothing but the speculation of a tinkerer. The problem with coming up with a battery pack capacity is that it's totally dependent on the voltage they are charged to, and that is dependent on the manufacturers' decision of how far to push their batteries. This is part of the reason that Tesla has moved away from specifying battery capacities.
:)

nope. That's not the reason. It's their fake marketing. Selling an S 85D with less than 85kWh battery. How does that sound.

That tinkerer read those values from Tesla's own BMS. But sure he may have misread it. :confused: Additionally EPA tests support this number.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
:)

nope. That's not the reason. It's their fake marketing. Selling an S 85D with less than 85kWh battery. How does that sound.

That tinkerer read those values from Tesla's own BMS. But sure he may have misread it. :confused: Additionally EPA tests support this number.
And from the same guy (your responses reminded me of this):

Attachments

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
This tinkerer earns the respect from emotionless inquisitive minds. :thumbup:

There is a shortage of honest Tesla owners to keep Tesla honest.
It is true that there are Tesla fans, both owners and not, who see Tesla through rose colored glasses and believe it can do no wrong, but the real shortage is honest Tesla critics. It seems that many (most?) are motivated by hatred of Tesla or a desire to drive down Tesla's stock prices. They twist and spin, make apples and oranges comparisons, and are exuberant about anything that Tesla does wrong which they then take out of proportion in order to damn the company.

4221 - 4240 of 4287 Posts