Bimmerfest BMW banner

4241 - 4260 of 4291 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
For all we know, it could be 129.999999 kWh, but as I explained in my prior post trying to get too precise with these numbers is arbitrary. The proof will be what the EPA rating of the final version of the car is, and how the batteries hold up in the vehicle over time.
Estimating from the EPA test consumption and achieved range it's about 120kWh + top buffer.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
these extrapolations you guys are working have a flaw! You are not factoring in an increase in weight with an increase in battery size. More weight means more energy required to move!

Tesla is very sensitive...With a door/light being left open for the tesla test for the range they scored under 400 miles, then had to repeat the test to beat 400 miles. If a light being left on can reduce the range by a few miles, imagine adding 300Lbs for a larger battery pack... If you watch TFL's channel on youtube, they show how much energy is required to tow with the model X and how awful it can be with energy consumption.

If anything tesla and panasonic have to improve the chemistry of the batteries to make them more efficient. Tesla can try to do some things to help such as moving away from the god awful 21"s and down to a 20" or 19". That alone will add a few miles of range and improve performance.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
these extrapolations you guys are working have a flaw! You are not factoring in an increase in weight with an increase in battery size. More weight means more energy required to move!

Tesla is very sensitive...With a door/light being left open for the tesla test for the range they scored under 400 miles, then had to repeat the test to beat 400 miles. If a light being left on can reduce the range by a few miles, imagine adding 300Lbs for a larger battery pack... If you watch TFL's channel on youtube, they show how much energy is required to tow with the model X and how awful it can be with energy consumption.

If anything tesla and panasonic have to improve the chemistry of the batteries to make them more efficient. Tesla can try to do some things to help such as moving away from the god awful 21"s and down to a 20" or 19". That alone will add a few miles of range and improve performance.

Tesla Model S LR+ has 19" wheels and eco tires. Yet Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower. Looking forward to figure it how.

The door left open story is just a cover story from Elon and has never happened. Car was tested according to the protocols. ("light on" means computer is on which consumes 250W in the Tesla hence their horrible vampire drain in sentry mode)

Weight matters a lot on EPA tests since it has many decel/accel cycles. But it doesn't matter as much as with an ICE car since regeneration recovers some of the energy although not with 100% efficiency.

Battery weight isn't as much of a factor as one would think. The Model S weights 4900lbs. Now if the battery is 1300lbs or 1500lbs means 4% difference only in the total vehicle weight.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
Tesla Model S LR+ has 19" wheels and eco tires. Yet Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower. Looking forward to figure it how.
This is a massive assumption on your part based on preliminary information and extrapolations which may or may not be justified. Personally, I very much doubt that there will be any significant difference in rolling resistance between the Lucid and Tesla.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This is a massive assumption on your part based on preliminary information and extrapolations which may or may not be justified. Personally, I very much doubt that there will be any significant difference in rolling resistance between the Lucid and Tesla.
Not an assumption, the data is in the news report. Better said, I'm assuming whatever Lucid said is true, in that case it is an assumption.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
Not an assumption, the data is in the news report. Better said, I'm assuming whatever Lucid said is true, in that case it is an assumption.
Nothing in the Motor Trend article said that "Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower". I suggest you go back and reread the article.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
range on electric cars is way more than just rolling resistance! Lots of factors such as outside temp, battery chemistry, power inverter efficiencies, etc. I would love to see a company beat tesla at their own game!

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Nothing in the Motor Trend article said that "Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower". I suggest you go back and reread the article.
It's right there

Attachments

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
range on electric cars is way more than just rolling resistance! Lots of factors such as outside temp, battery chemistry, power inverter efficiencies, etc. I would love to see a company beat tesla at their own game!
The one thing that it did mention in the article is that Lucid is claiming a coefficient of drag of .21 with a fairly small frontal area. Tesla claims a .23 cD for the Model S and I have no idea how its frontal area compares to the Lucid. If Lucid can beat, or even match Tesla's efficiency, they would be the first to do so.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
It's right there

"Coefficients" equals rolling resistance? Where does it say that?

Also, I didn't see that in the article. Where did you get it from?

'A' under Coefficients shows a Target value of 30.126 pounds and a Dyno value of -15.33. If this is referring to resistance, how are they getting negative resistance? If they can create negative resistance, perhaps they can create perpetual motion machines or speed of light spacecraft. I think Coefficients doesn't mean what you think it means or the numbers are junk.

And finally, even if those numbers were real and meaningful, what are the equivalent Tesla numbers? Without knowing those, saying that "Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower" is just playing Lucid fan boy, or more likely in your case, Tesla hater.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
https://electrek.co/2020/08/11/lucid-air-electric-car-epa-range-517-miles/

these are the coefficients for the road load. At low speeds it is dominated by rolling resistance.
So, now you jump to a new article, which also doesn't say that "Coefficients" equals rolling resistance. Do you want to try again with another previously unreferenced source?

Also, I edited my prior post with a couple of additional points. I'll repeat them here so you can respond to them.
'A' under Coefficients shows a Target value of 30.126 pounds and a Dyno value of -15.33. If this is referring to resistance, how are they getting negative resistance? I think Coefficients either doesn't mean what you think it means or the numbers are junk.

And finally, even if those numbers were real and meaningful, what are the equivalent Tesla numbers? Without knowing those, saying that "Lucid's rolling resistance is much lower" is just playing Lucid fan boy, or more likely in your case, Tesla hater.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So, now you jump to a new article, which also doesn't say that "Coefficients" equals rolling resistance. Do you want to try again with another previously unreferenced source?

Also, I edited my prior post with a couple of additional points. I'll repeat them here so you can respond to them.
If you know physics and what these numbers mean you can calculate it yourself. Don't blame me for your own ignorance.

Dyno coeffs mean the difference between target and the dyno's own parameters. Depends on the dyno model. For self compensating models these numbers equal target.

·
Driver
2,763 Posts
If you know physics and what these numbers mean you can calculate it yourself. Don't blame me for your own ignorance.

Dyno coeffs mean the difference between target and the dyno's own parameters. Depends on the dyno model. For self compensating models these numbers equal target.
And since you can't explain it or prove it, I guess that means you don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
And since you can't explain it or prove it, I guess that means you don't know what you're talking about.
No, I just don't want to waste my time on explaining every single details. Do your own homework.

4241 - 4260 of 4291 Posts