BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
telsa out sells luxury brands

In a recent investor call Tesla proudly announced that it had trumped BMW and their German cohorts in luxury sedan sales for 2015. BMW 7 Series sales peaked at 9,292 units, while Tesla moved an impressive 25,202 units. Their surge in sales, up almost 10,000 from 2014 makes them the best selling luxury sedan in America.

Former BMW Exec Bob Lutz says Tesla is Doomed

tesla sales chart

For a company founded only 13 years ago, staring with a clean slate concept and minimal fund, they've pulled off what most considered impossible. With the sales of Tesla continuing to rise as the Model X goes on sale in volume for 2016 and the Model III coming soon what is BMW's answer? If the BMW flagship 7 Series is bleeding sales to Tesla, what is going to happen to X5 and 3 Series sales in the future?

Has BMW and the Germans lost their mojo, is Telsa changing the game, or is there something else that explains these sales numbers?

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,273 Posts
Granted I'm a BMW fanboy and an enthusiastic driver of an i3, but I'm not yet convinced that this Tesla dominance is going to last. Tesla is a very cool product, but when BMW applies the CRFP technology to an BMWi vehicle the size of 5 series or 7 series [not just "carbon core"], I think that they're going to claw back a lot of sales. In the end, BMW is going to have Telsa beat on lightness and design. However, if Tesla can match BMW on design and driving feel, I'll consider switching.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If you believe all of the reports, Tesla is losing thousands on each car sold. More only helps to a certain degree, hopefully, lowering costs some. How long their investors will settle for no dividends or profits only time will tell. Their history of getting a vehicle out in the timeframe specified isn't good at all. Their interiors don't speak luxury the same way the others do, either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.