BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

So I noticed that you can easily pull back the carpet in the back foot wells today. When I did pull the carpet back, I noticed a decent amount of moisture down there. I then looked underneath the car, and found those rubber plug looking things in the rear floor pans. This seems like the place where the water would be getting in, but I don't really know how to address the problem, since that's the way BMW designed them... Has anyone else found moisture in that area before? Seems like a major liability.

· The Canadian Prick.
13,061 Posts
Silicone? Decent caulking? PL400? Any of these will work to keep them sealed. (Provided that this is where the moisture's coming from).

· Just living MY dream
5,675 Posts
+1 maybe realoem will show if there is supposed to be a plug there? Definately fill them before rust begins!

· BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After doing some searching, I think it's either those, or possibly the moon roof drain tubes may be plugged. Hmmm... Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a good look at things in daylight until Friday.

So, since I have found moisture under my carpet, this brings me to the question: is removing the seats as simple as removing 4 nuts and a plug (provided you don't turn the car on and trip the SRS light)?

· The Canadian Prick.
13,061 Posts
Wait. I read just within the last few days of being careful of the seat belt tensioners when removeing the seats. I may be wrong, but it's worth double checking on that. (My memory is pretty strong).

· Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone else found moisture in that area before? Seems like a major liability.
hahaha yer i have, it was a lovely sunny day and drove home with all windows down and sunroof open, went inside fell asleep and woke up to a thunderstorm :cry:

lots of towels later and a stripped interior, good as new :eeps:

· BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait. I read just within the last few days of being careful of the seat belt tensioners when removeing the seats. I may be wrong, but it's worth double checking on that. (My memory is pretty strong).
Hmmm... I'll double check on that, but I don't think it should matter because the seat belts are part of the car, not the seat.

· Registered
237 Posts
Hey Folks,
So I noticed that you can easily pull back the carpet in the back foot wells today. When I did pull the carpet back, I noticed a decent amount of moisture down there. I then looked underneath the car, and found those rubber plug looking things in the rear floor pans. This seems like the place where the water would be getting in, but I don't really know how to address the problem, since that's the way BMW designed them... Has anyone else found moisture in that area before? Seems like a major liability.
That is not how the moisture gets in, it is how it gets out. Your source of water is from above.

· BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is not how the moisture gets in, it is how it gets out. Your source of water is from above.
Any additional insight? I'll have to check my door seals. T vapor barriers behind the door panels both looked to be in great shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.