Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the whole falsehood of cold air intakes and such, but just happened to stumble across this one and was curious about it:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-51-76306-momentum-gt-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system

I mean it looks like it would solve most of the issue of heat soak with a contained box which would be vacuum sealed, but it points both air inlets into one single filter rather than having two like most exposed CAIs. It also makes me think this is probably pretty close to the stock set up.

Their dyno was done on a 335is and looked like it had marginal gains down low, but max HP actually decreased by 2....but max torque gained 2.

Any thoughts on this set up?

·
RLTW
564 Posts
I know the whole falsehood of cold air intakes and such, but just happened to stumble across this one and was curious about it:

https://afepower.com/afe-power-51-76306-momentum-gt-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system

I mean it looks like it would solve most of the issue of heat soak with a contained box which would be vacuum sealed, but it points both air inlets into one single filter rather than having two like most exposed CAIs. It also makes me think this is probably pretty close to the stock set up.

Their dyno was done on a 335is and looked like it had marginal gains down low, but max HP actually decreased by 2....but max torque gained 2.

Any thoughts on this set up?
I use the previous version of that, the Magnum Force Pro Stage 2 blah, blah, blah, had it for years now. Same concept with a large single dry filter inside. The difference between this and a dual cone setup is negligible performance wise. I can pull 500 whp and 550 wtq on mine and it would probably do the same with a dual cone. My problem was that the dual cones just look like crap jammed in there and they start to look grungy pretty fast but they are cheap which is the reason they're so popular. I was happy paying the extra money for aesthetics, most people aren't.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the previous version of that, the Magnum Force Pro Stage 2 blah, blah, blah, had it for years now. Same concept with a large single dry filter inside. The difference between this and a dual cone setup is negligible performance wise. I can pull 500 whp and 550 wtq on mine and it would probably do the same with a dual cone. My problem was that the dual cones just look like crap jammed in there and they start to look grungy pretty fast but they are cheap which is the reason they're so popular. I was happy paying the extra money for aesthetics, most people aren't.
Figured as much. I too feel the same way about wedging giant cone filters in there. I've had them in the past and I do like the sound...knowing they likely do little else than just that. But this product was interesting because it was all in an enclosed box like the OEM but used a large flatter cone intake that technically would have more surface area. Dunno...it's still hella expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts