BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drop my car off at Frankfurt on a Monday, but its looking difficult.

Harms opens at 8:30.

The plane leaves at 10:05.

Theoretically, if I fill out the paperwork at harms a few days early, then check in for the flight early on monday (say 6:45) and check in luggage, go to harms, drop off the car proptly at 8:30, then back to the airport giving me about an hour (?) to go through security.

Hmmm. sounds tight. Might work though. Any thoughts?

Anyone have experience with how long it takes to drop the car off at Frankfurt, and how long it takes to go through security there?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Wow that's tight. I don't know where the Harms drop-off is in relation to FRA, but being a veteran flyer in/out of FRA for the past 7 years I can tell you:

(1) Security is extra long for U.S.-bound flights assuming you are not able to use a priority/first/business class line.
(2) Since departure time is at 10:05, boarding begins at 9:20. If it's Lufthansa, the flight will probably leave on time; if it's a U.S. carrier, there's a chance one of the old clunker planes will require maintenance. But that's a factor upon which you shouldn't depend.
(3) Frankfurt has rush hour in the morning. Again, I'm not sure of the route from Harms to FRA.
(4) I've been to all of the world's major airports (the life of a consultant), and FRA is probably the second most confusing collection of buildings and terminals and gates and shuttles right after London Heathrow. You should take a few moments to see airport maps or even do a dry run by the airport.

If you plan it like you mentioned, I think it *can* be done -- but you must do your homework. I'd also check to see if your carrier offers a flight after the 10:05 just in case things don't go as planned - you can invoke the "flat tire/diarrhea" rule.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have flown into/out of Frankfurt often. I used to fly there every month or two when I was dating my wife. At least I know my way around. (and the two bloody security checks you have to go through).

Harms is apparently literally around the corner.

They have two flights later in the day (one with connections that I don***8217;t like, one that is currently booked up at the 2-4-1 offer), so I am thinking that if the flight leaves while I am in the security line (I***8217;m wondering if they would do that with my bags on board?) that I can always catch a later flight.

Still, it is pretty tight!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Since you know the territory and since there are later flight options (of course one has to hope there are a few extra seats on them), then I think you can risk it. I would. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Harms is very close to the airport, about ten minutes.

You could make this schedule work, but you might get delayed with security. If you had an additional hour, I don't think you'd have any problem. I'd give you a 90% chance of making it, but you may have some anxiety while you wait in line.

·
Happy as a snapping clam
812 Posts
Theoretically, if I fill out the paperwork at harms a few days early, then check in for the flight early on monday (say 6:45) and check in luggage, go to harms, drop off the car proptly at 8:30, then back to the airport giving me about an hour (?) to go through security.

Hmmm. sounds tight. Might work though. Any thoughts??
Talk to the people at Harms Frankfurt about your situation. IF they are willing to operate the way Harms Munich does, you should be able to fill out your paperwork in advance and drop off the car any time you like, even if the office is closed, be it Sunday night or early Monday morning.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a good idea. I called, and that could work. I could drop the car off about 30 minutes before they open, and then have 2 hours to get back to the airport and go through the security checks.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to know it is about a 10 minute drive back to the airport.

Talk to the people at Harms Frankfurt about your situation. IF they are willing to operate the way Harms Munich does, you should be able to fill out your paperwork in advance and drop off the car any time you like, even if the office is closed, be it Sunday night or early Monday morning.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
I believe Beewang dropped off at Harms FRA after hours. Bee? I seem to recall his faxing papers to that office from the Welt. Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I want to drop my car off at Frankfurt on a Monday, but its looking difficult.

Harms opens at 8:30.

The plane leaves at 10:05.

Hmmm. sounds tight. Might work though. Any thoughts?

Anyone have experience with how long it takes to drop the car off at Frankfurt, and how long it takes to go through security there?
My flight was at 1:15 PM. I dropped the car off at Harms around 9 am. The whole procedure took maybe 15 -20 minutes. The harms agent was very nice and called us a cab that arrived in about 10 minutes. The drive took another 15. All in all we were at the airport by 10. Move that back 1/2 hour since you're going to be there at 8:30 and you should have enough leeway in case of minor traffic.
So I'd say It's doable, but very tight...
Good luck!

Oleg

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
I believe Beewang dropped off at Harms FRA after hours. Bee? I seem to recall his faxing papers to that office from the Welt. Not 100% sure.
Yes that was me... but no.. it wasn't to Frankfurt, it was for Hamburg.

I've only dropped-off at Frankfurt a couple times.

The first time I arrived in a hurry on Friday afternoon at 3:30 PM. Let me just say that people in general don't appreciate that (when you arrive late on a Friday, so close to quitting time) and will not do that again.:eeps:

The 2nd time I stopped by Frankfurt drop-off center on my way to Nurburg, and had then started my paperwork, so 2 days later when I return to Harms to drop-off my car, I was outta there in 3 mins:thumbup:

I don't believe you cab drop-off at Frankfurt after-hours. The reason is that there is this Huge Gates that is pulled-up when they are close. there is no way you can access to the parking lot when they are gone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I dropped off after-hours last summer, and it worked out fine--for a fee. Just be sure to contact them beforehand. Yes, they do have large steel gates, but they'll open them up for you.

I was on a similar schedule as yours, but my girlfriend didn't want to press our luck by dropping off in the morning, so we did it on Sunday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts