BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ChaseM3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 F80 M3, 6MT with 20,000 Miles_ Over Rev/Money Shift _

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and yes I ***8220;miss shifted***8221; my M3 and hit 9,000 RPMS according to the BMW Service Department. I do not deny that this is entirely my fault.

The quick back story: I was on the interstate doing about 70 MPH in the left lane ***8220;fast lane***8221; when I approached a vehicle that started braking for no reason, I hung behind him for a few miles and then eventually got irritated as he was going from 65 MPH to 70 MPH and had other cars up my butt. I changed lanes to get around him and dropped into what I thought was 4th gear. Now due to what happened, I can only assume that it was most likely 2nd gear. I was not looking down at the shifter nor was I staring at the dash to see what gear I was in. I simply shifted quickly dropped the clutch and hit the gas. This split-second decision resulted in an over rev, after realizing the mistake I made I put the car immediately in neutral and then tried to shift to different gears so I could safely get off the road and avoid cars. None of the gears would work, so I eventually coasted to the left shoulder navigating around traffic, once the car made its way to a stop the car turned off. According to my service advisor, when the over rev occurred, it broke the crankshaft resulting in timing issues within the motor causing damage to the rods and pistons and the cylinder walls are now scored.

I took the car to my local BMW dealer/service department, I was upfront with them on what happened. They researched the codes within my cars computer and did see the over rev at 9,000 RPM. They indicated that although the car is still under factory warranty they would not cover the cost of an engine replacement due to the over rev. The cost is approximately $35,000.00 (full retail cost includes labor). I have heard others on this and other forums to make a claim with their insurance company as this may be covered under comprehensive coverage. I made a claim and spoke in length with the claims adjuster this afternoon. Unfortunately insurance will not cover a mechanical/drivers error. I can***8217;t blame them as they are not in the business of replacing blown motors...Again I have been 100% upfront with the dealer and insurance on what happened. Today I also reached out to BMW NA for a goodwill claim they created a case and lady called me back to ask a few more questions. She then said I may be able to get you $1,000 as a good will claim to go towards your bill. The max she said would be $2,000. I thanked her for her time but looking at a large repair even $2,000 is chump change... but better than nothing I suppose. This is the 4th BMW I have owned (3rd M3) so hopefully, they may offer some additional assistance. I am sick over this costly split-second mistake***8230; what a waste***8230; trust me have had days to beat myself up over this***8230;

I am preparing for my options on what to do next:

Option 1: Pay to have BMW replace the motor and remain under factory warranty plus engine would come with a separate 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Cost: now $20,000 +/- (discounted price)__ Time to Fix: 30 days.

Option 2: Have a local shop rebuild the motor with factory parts and lose the BMW warranty. Cost: $12,000.00 +/- ___ Time to Fix: 8 +/- Weeks

Option 3: Have a local shop remove the motor and ship to Carbahn Autowerks in CA. to exchange for an already rebuilt motor that may have more or fewer miles than my current engine. Cost: $15,900 and 60 days. The motor would come with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty and would be a stage II.

Does anyone have personal experience in this situation? What options should I consider?

·
Registered
41 Posts
**** son! I feel for ya, it takes a big man to admit fault. I'm kinda surprised of the damage but I'm no mechanic either. Personally it would come down to what's most affordable? I kinda like the Carbahn option since it's slightly cheaper than factory and probably leaves you with similar warranty left and a some more power! (just watch the shifts) lol. Good luck

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,549 Posts
WOW. A broken crankshaft for an over rev, and to only 9K RPM. Best wishes.

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
Back when 2001 E46 M3's were blowing engines left and right. BMW said it was due to over-rev'ing.

Some kid in high school, "Jason," with a brand new M3 (rich parents?) had a blown engine. The 2002's started offering SMG II as a transmission option. Jason started collecting data about blown engines on Roadfly and other BMW forums. It turned out that 2002 SMG II cars were blowing engines just as much or more than the manual transmission cars. That shot down the over-rev'ing theory. BMW had to come clean and start replacing engines, and doing recalls for oil pumps and connecting rod bearings.

The last anybody heard from Jason in the BMW world, he was driving a Nissan GT-R.

I'd go with #1, assuming that it's a brand new motor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do recall in the earlier days, an F8x user on the other forum had a DCT equipped car that suffered an overrev. I do not remember the outcome of that case when the OP disputed that the overrev was a result of an operator error (when DCTs are supposed to prevent downshifting that would put the engine past redline)

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,549 Posts
I believe that DCT equipped cars interrupt power during the shift.

·
ChaseM3
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex2364; I pushed my insurance again today and now they are going to take a closer look... meeting with a local adjuster soon. Hopefully they will cover this.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Alex2364; I pushed my insurance again today and now they are going to take a closer look... meeting with a local adjuster soon. Hopefully they will cover this.
Sorry to hear this story man. Good luck with the insurance guy. My question to him would be if an insured driver was going around a turn and the steering wheel slipped in their hand forcing them into the guard rail or a tree, would they be covered? I'd make a case that this is a similar situation...an unintentional "slip" by a sober, insured driver who was operating the vehicle properly.

As for which option to go with, I'd lean towards anything that keeps this under BMW warranty and allows the car to maintain all OEM parts. I think the value of the vehicle would take a much bigger hit with options 2 and 3 vs. getting a brand new engine. Just my opinion but in some people's minds a brand new OEM engine could actually enhance the car. I'd even argue that the odometer should be reset to 0. :D

Again, good luck with your situation and kudos for stepping up the way you did and taking ownership of the goof up.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Unfortunately insurance will not cover a mechanical/drivers error.
Now that is not-funny.

The very first driving school with BMWCCA I remember the instructor saying something that stuck with me for all these years. He said, quote

"If your car gets hit by a lighting on the track, that is an accident. Everything else is driver's error"

If your insurance isn't paying for driver's errors, they are paying virtually no claims. I don't know the number, but I would put a bet down that more than 95% of "accidents" have nothing to do with fate or accidents - they are simply driver's errors/mistakes.

I would try to put an argument to that effect to your insurance and see where it goes. Good luck with everything, sincerely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,859 Posts
I would make sure I understand my policy and the laws in my state...BEFORE I either (a) made the initial claim or (b) went back to the insurance 'adjuster'.

Dont ask them if they will cover it....TELL them what their obligation is....

And dont spill your guts about option 1,2,3 with the adjuster.

I like having a warranty on the drivetrain...so #1

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Option 4: is to supe-up the engine going into the M3

This way you can make it 1000hp so you can just pull in 4th or even 6th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts