BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exceptionally annoying, but the change in my ashtray has been stolen FOR THE SECOND TIME while my car was in for service (two different dealers).

I’m very particular with what I keep in my car and I clean out the ashtray often, leaving it full of only quarters.

Called and spoke with the Service Manager upon noticing same, told him I understand my car was there for a week and there’s no telling who might have taken it, but that he MUST put his employees on notice that this is absolutely unacceptable.

Argh. :|

·
Registered
603 Posts
Exceptionally annoying, but the change in my ashtray has been stolen FOR THE SECOND TIME while my car was in for service (two different dealers).

I'm very particular with what I keep in my car and I clean out the ashtray often, leaving it full of only quarters.

Called and spoke with the Service Manager upon noticing same, told him I understand my car was there for a week and there's no telling who might have taken it, but that he MUST put his employees on notice that this is absolutely unacceptable.

Argh. :|
What was the response from the service manager? I always strip my car of any valuables before service or carwash, tire rotation..

·
Registered
912 Posts
Very annoying but not too surprising. About the only things I take out of my car when in for servicing are my iPod and expensive sunglasses. If anything was missing, I'd just chalk it up to my fault for leaving it and be mad at them and myself. I can say though, I've never had my quarters (or anything else) taken at my dealership. Doesn't the manager notice anybody rattling with their pockets stuffed full of change? You can't be the only one they steal from.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I suggest putting a small mousetrap beneath the change.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
A buddy of mine always leaves a five dollar note in his car when he goes in for service just to test them. It's his way of establishing trust before taking their advice on service needs.
Not so sure that a valet who takes the $5 bill relates to the service departments caliber. There is no way to know who took the bill and entrapment tests like often prove nothing - an untouched $5 bill may have little to do with the dealers honesty.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
It's pretty disheartening to read posts like this.

I must be very fortunate that I've never had anything 'valuable' taken from any of my cars in 20+ years of service at the same dealer. Then again, except for electronic gadgets or clothing (Garmin GPS in the pre-nav 'old days', iPod, chargers of all sorts, small change, jacket, sweater, shirt, etc) I don't make a habit of leaving valuables in my cars.

If I had to lock-down my car before sending it in for service I'd have to seriously consider shopping for a new BMW dealer.

Opps ... hey, remember when you borrowed my car last week??? I left my $81,000 Patek Philippe perpetual on the console ?!?!? What did you do with it???

·
Registered
999 Posts
Never had change stolen in Atlanta, but I do recall my Audi dealer (Bell Audi/Rahway) in NJ did take money. I think they went under or were purchased by someone else... No wonder why.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was the response from the service manager?
Response was a rehash of what I said to him (obviously no telling who could've done this, which is the response I received from the prior dealer's service manger when I reported same previously). I asked that he speak with his employees and he said he would. Can't really ask for much else. Second time is definitely on me. :|

No point in tempting someone...not in this day and age...its like daring someone to take it, leaving valuables in your car when someone else has your keys...
True.

Very annoying but not too surprising. About the only things I take out of my car when in for servicing are my iPod and expensive sunglasses. If anything was missing, I'd just chalk it up to my fault for leaving it and be mad at them and myself. I can say though, I've never had my quarters (or anything else) taken at my dealership. Doesn't the manager notice anybody rattling with their pockets stuffed full of change? You can't be the only one they steal from.
Yes, I too remove almost everything (very particular and don't keep much in my car to begin with), but as particular as I am, it makes this even more annoying, as filling the ashtray up with quarters again is a must. :|

I suggest putting a small mousetrap beneath the change.
Ha; would get their attention for sure.

A buddy of mine always leaves a five dollar note in his car when he goes in for service just to test them. It's his way of establishing trust before taking their advice on service needs.
Interesting.

I had that happen to me in an Audi dealer. I told them I would have to report it on the satisfaction survey. They bribe me with a detail and I agree :)
Not bad.

Opps ... hey, remember when you borrowed my car last week??? I left my $81,000 Patek Philippe perpetual on the console ?!?!? What did you do with it???
Haha!

Never had change stolen in Atlanta, but I do recall my Audi dealer (Bell Audi/Rahway) in NJ did take money. I think they went under or were purchased by someone else... No wonder why.
Can never let our guard down in the NY-Metro area.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky. Park in NY garages almost every day and nothing ever taken. Same for NJ dealer - never a problem. I leave coins, iPod, sunglasses.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,268 Posts
Let me make sure I understand. You have a 750Lxi Individual, which I am guessing had a sticker North of $100 large, and you are put out by missing $2.00 worth of quarters?

While I applaud frugality, I think if I was the tech you'd accused of stealing (and your Center probably only has one or two techs who work on 7 Series), I would be inclined to leave you a little "present" next time. Like a tuna fish sandwich, tucked somewhere where you really won't notice it, till the smell becomes overpowering some time in May.

Just sayin'.

·
Long time quasi lurker
73 Posts
I'm with the OP on this. It isn't the magnitude but the principle.

Years back I inadvertently left my Valentine 1 radar detector in my Jaguar S-type R while it was serviced at Jaguar of Houston North. It wasn't there when I went to pick up the car. I notified the Service Manager and with very little fuss he offered to replace it. The only thing he asked for was a week or so to investigate to see if he could find it. That week went by with no success, so he asked me to buy another one and give him the bill, and he cut me a check for $400.

Now that's customer service!

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,268 Posts
But the OP doesn't KNOW that the tech stole the money. Personally, I find it unlikely that any tech would put his job on the line for $2.00 or $3.00. The car could have been unlocked in the drive-through and a 17-year-old who was dropping off his 318i could have grabbed it. Or the minimum wage employee that vacuumed the car when it was "detailed" may have been the culprit. I could see a dishonest tech stealing a Valentine One, a nice bottle of Single Malt, an iPad or a pair of Gucci sunglasses. But a pocketful of change? Makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
IA few dollars isn't a big deal for most of us, but the techs shouldn't be stealing **** from these cars. Simple as that.
If it is the "techs". You leave your cars keys and from that moment on there are dozens of suspects from the valet, car washer, another wandering customer or someone with access to the keys after hours (cleaning staff, etc.). Therein lies the problem with blaming and finding a suspect - there are too many with access to your car. It is not a good sign at a dealer, but hard to pin on one person. Solution: - never leave anything valuable in the car when you handed over the keys to someone else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.