BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 21 year old son has been accepted for a Master's program at Monterey Institute of International Studies. He has to leave SC and drive to Monterey in early June to find a place to live there. The college is located on Pierce Street near Pacific and Franklin streets a few blocks from the ocean. (according to Mapquest)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to live for a college student? I suppose the goals in this would be to maximize value and minimize commute time. Are there any areas of the city that should be avoided?

Advice from any locals there will surely be welcome. He's coming west, accomodations arranged or not. Of course, his mother and I are slightly anxious about him moving so far away, and not knowing exactly where he's going once he gets there. The college will offer help and advice, but any local information is surely welcome. :)

Dwayne

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
dwaynemosley said:
My 21 year old son has been accepted for a Master's program at Monterey Institute of International Studies. He has to leave SC and drive to Monterey in early June to find a place to live there. The college is located on Pierce Street near Pacific and Franklin streets a few blocks from the ocean. (according to Mapquest)

Does anyone have any reccommendations for a good place to live for a college student? I suppose the goals in this would be to maximize value and minimize commute time. Are there any areas of the city that should be avoided?

Advice from any locals there will surely be welcome. He's coming west, accomodations arranged or not. Of course, his mother and I are slightly anxious about him moving so far away, and not knowing exactly where he's going once he gets there. The college will offer help and advice, but any local information is surely welcome. :)

Dwayne
Been a long time since I was out there, but you'll want to make sure his apt. (or whatever) is large enough to take in you (and perhaps a few friends ;) ) when the Historics come to town sometime in August...

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy Forbes said:
Been a long time since I was out there, but you'll want to make sure his apt. (or whatever) is large enough to take in you (and perhaps a few friends ;) ) when the Historics come to town sometime in August...
I agree totally. I'll probably "ante up" a little housing subsidy for that very purpose. A few friends are always welcome. Between the Historics, Laguna Seca and everything else available there, I may hop back and forth quite a few times.

In that same vein, a very good friend just moved from Greenville to the Harrisburg, PA area. I immediately started planning outings to visit him about the same time as the events in the Carlisle and Harrisburg areas. Road Trip!!! :)

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
I go there about every year as a tourist. Ill be back in July for the USGP.

As a tourist I dont see many of the "bad" places. However depending on your budget he may not be able to live in Montery as it is quite expensive.

From what I hear Salinas and Seaside are the "bad" areas.

I have a friend that lives a few miles from the track and rents a house that the owner offered to sell him for $650K. His rent is about $1300/mth. for a three bedroom, which he tells me is below market.

·
Registered
139 Posts
seaside

Dwayne, I don't live that far from there, and I was stationed at Ft. Ord for a while.
I don't think there are any bad spots in Monterey. It costs a whole lot to live there now. Besides, no one wants to mess with the Mayor, you might make his daySeaside used to have a lot of Army guys there, but not sure who or what took their place(Ft. Ord closed). I would avoid Salinas. If you come here you will fall in love(area) and may not leave. I go to Laguna Seca (or Monterey) several times a year. The real estate market is hot there, it is skyrocketing as we speak. I already have my tickets for the vintage car race weekend August 20th. :) That is a great school there in Monterey, good luck for your son, and if you come during the races I will look you up and say howdy:D
Steve

Hey LS
your friend wants to sell the house? I'm interested:rolleyes:

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the thoughts and comments. This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

He should be leaving headed west about this time in June. He'll make a few stops along the way to visit friends. I think the school is providing him with some temporary housing while he looks for a permanent residence.

Any other advice, or great apartment ideas are welcome.

Dwayne

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
phrider said:
What housing suggestions does the school offer? Typically, grad schools have a housing office, or at least someone to disseminate housing info.
I think they're offering him temporary housing, and they do have someone who will offer suggestions for permanent housing. My inquiry here was perhaps looking for something unique from the BMW community of friends. The link to the "craigslist" offered earlier has some neat stuff in it. Sometimes you get very lucky networking with car enthusiasts. Who knows what he might find once he hooked into the BMW CCA group there. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's gonna be an awesome trip blasting from coast to coast!! Is he taking a beamer? I moved from MN to CA in september '04. I drove all the way over; too bad I didn't have a good car back then. Good luck on the apartment pursuit! Craigslist is indeed a good site to look. You can find a lot of stuff and good response.

·
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
luciano136 said:
That's gonna be an awesome trip blasting from coast to coast!! Is he taking a beamer? I moved from MN to CA in september '04. I drove all the way over; too bad I didn't have a good car back then. Good luck on the apartment pursuit! Craigslist is indeed a good site to look. You can find a lot of stuff and good response.
He has a '95 525i that I purchased for him to cruise back and forth between here and Charleston (College of Charleston) that he'll be driving west in.

It appears that we are now headed toward Monterey ourselves to assist in this endeavor. The wife has suggested that we do this, and it is mother's day weekend....., so I guess we'll be flying out there to assist.

(Read like this - With Mom and Dad there it will be easier to justify the higher rents in the safer neighborhoods hopefully providing a shorter commute. OR - With Mom and Dad there it'll be easier to beg for the waterfront view in the nicer, larger apartment with a reasonable commute that will be available for Dad and his friends to visit for the car shows, the race track, the beach, the fun, the weather, etc. :thumbup: )

Either way, the bank account loses. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That sounds great! I was in Monterey last May and it indeed looks reeally safe. The worst danger is probably getting hit by a golf ball :rofl:

A 95 525 is a good car. If you take good care of it, runs forever! A friend of mine actually bought a '91 M5. It has only 110,000 miles and running great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.