BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now after I have already worked deals on BMWs (from above invoice) the sales person says… "you know adding a moonroof will increase resale value." Since their profit is already set, they seem to be really trying to do me a favor. This line must be part of BMW sales person training.

Is there any chance in hell that if I pay $1,000 + for a moonroof (invoice cost), that my resale value in 3 years will increase by more than my initial cost of the moonroof? Keep in mind the time value of money… my $1,000 could be working earning interest elsewhere. I don't see how that makes sense.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
CD-55 said:
This line must be part of BMW sales person training.
My *guess* is that what they're really trying to say is, "If you walk away from the deal after the car has gone into production, it will be much easier for us to sell it with a moonroof." Didn't you say that the first quote you got required a non-refundable deposit if you didn't order thr moonroof?

·
10,856 Posts
The BMW dealership doesn't want to have to sell a total enthusiast package car in three years.

Same reason why they don't want to sell cars with cloth seats anymore. I sure as hell wouldn't want a used car with cloth seats. (New is fine, but having someone ELSE'S stink in them...) Cars like that tend to be somewhat difficult to sell following trade or when they come off of lease.

What it really is is that the dealership doesn't want to have it come back to them. If you don't want the moonroof, don't get it.

20,210 Posts
I say go for NO moonroof. While it may make it a little harder to sell it down the line, the advent of autotrader has made it much easier, IMO, to find someone and for someone to find you that also doesn't want a moonroof.

It may depend on how long you plan on keeping it. If only 3 years, it may be more prudent to get the moonroof. Any longer than that and I'd definitely say go no moonroof.

G

·
Honestly, I had the same thing said to me after I agreed on my over invocie price on my 330i. And, looking around, I do think that it would be easier to resell a car with a moonroof as many people think a car "of this class" hould have one. There's only a handful of track junkies out there that want 4 door cars, but the few there are will lust after your car when you eventually put it up for sale. It's strictly a case of the market for a car with a sunroof is larger than the market for a car without one. If you see that translating into a difference in resale price, then yes. But, IMO, it's similar to getting a manual trans.

·
5,820 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

Same reason why they don't want to sell cars with cloth seats anymore. I sure as hell wouldn't want a used car with cloth seats. (New is fine, but having someone ELSE'S stink in them...)
Oh come on, the domestic car market and Japanese market is filled with cloth seats. They can be shampooed as easily as the carpet. All used cars have a "personal" element to them until they're thoroughly detailed. Give me a well maintained cloth interior over a cigarette or cologned interior. Man, some people wear way too much cologne!

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Only thing it matters is if *YOU* want a moonroof. Your car will be $1000+ cheaper than the same car without moonroof when you sell it, that's a pretty good incentive for the buyer. imo...

I love my moonroof though, I use it all the time! Actually I drive with all windows down and moonroof opened a lot of times, it kindda prevents me from driving too fast... =) If money is no object I would get a convertible and another car without moonroof, but for now I can only have one car, so I'll probably be getting moonroof if I were to buy another E46.

but there are A LOT of ppl who have moonroofs but never use them, if you're one of those than save the money for other stuff, like a few track weekends... =)

--Andrew

·
10,856 Posts
johnlew said:

Oh come on, the domestic car market and Japanese market is filled with cloth seats. They can be shampooed as easily as the carpet. All used cars have a "personal" element to them until they're thoroughly detailed. Give me a well maintained cloth interior over a cigarette or cologned interior. Man, some people wear way too much cologne!
Yes, but Americans eat in their cars, too. And Coke does NOT come out of cloth seats. :p Nor does all the other crap. Well maintained cloth is one thing, but cloth is harder to maintain. It wears more and absorbs more, however comfy it may be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've just recently developed a moon roof rattle on my low milege 3-series that I have to take in for repair. I wish I hadn't opted for this, as it was my first moonroofed automobile.

·
5,820 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

Yes, but Americans eat in their cars, too. And Coke does NOT come out of cloth seats. :p Nor does all the other crap. Well maintained cloth is one thing, but cloth is harder to maintain. It wears more and absorbs more, however comfy it may be.
There's always recovering, if the deal's sweet enough. BTW, I don't like cloth.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
johnlew said:

There's always recovering, if the deal's sweet enough. BTW, I don't like cloth.
My eyes!...At first glance I thought there it was a comment about other people's sweat in the cloth seats of a new-used car. :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I always think it's a bad idea getting certain colors or options just because they're popular or easy to sell...First of all, the second you walk out of the dealership with that car, the OPTION you paid for start to depreciate. They're never going to be assets...Especially since it's YOU who decides whether or not you'll be enjoying the car, not the guy who's ultimately going to buy it from you.

Frankly I'd option out a car with cloth seats, sports, manual seats (not possible on the 330s I guess), Xenons and NO MOONROOF.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
The HACK said:
I always think it's a bad idea getting certain colors or options just because they're popular or easy to sell.
IME, buying and selling used cars, generally the only two things that make that much of a difference are the model and the transmission type. Everything else, including color, has been along the lines of, "In a perfect world, I'd like [blank], but if the right one comes along at the right price without it, I'll take it."

·
5,820 Posts

IME, buying and selling used cars, generally the only two things that make that much of a difference are the model and the transmission type. Everything else, including color, has been along the lines of, "In a perfect world, I'd like [blank], but if the right one comes along at the right price without it, I'll take it."
I agree, but at the top end options can play a role. Not that the 3 series is the top end I'm referring to. I'm helping a friend sell a 2001 740i sport for about $58k. The buyers are concerned about how it's optioned out. This one, everything but PDC.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
perhaps if you get manual and sport then feel completely free to have no moonroof. people who may buy one w/ manual and sport are more likely inclined to wanting a car w/o the moonroof. but if it's no sport auto, then perhap more likely consider getting the moonroof if you plan to sell it within a few short years. in the end it's your money and you can buy whatever you want. options depreciate much faster than the base car itself anyways and may be more troublesome down the road like the moonroof problems that i'm reading more about these days.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
Man, this is kinda silly, Get what you want, and who gives a crap about anything else. The dealer will bend over backwards for you no matter what, dont let him talk you into anything, just get what you want. If 1K is an important amount for you in which your looking to invest, a moonroof sure as hell is the worst possible investment. I would rather put it on worldcom stock.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I'm with atyclb. The moonroof was the last thing I agonized over before finalizing my option choices. I didn't really need one but I succumbed to peer pressure. It was this or PDC and I got talked out of the PDC and into this. :D

Like leather over ette, its effect on resale value will diminish over time. In 3 years, having leather and a moonroof in this car could make it worth another $1200 more, as well as make it sell faster. In 8, it'll probably help sell it faster but have little or no effect on value. And of course a dealer will tell you to get it for, as everyone has said, them not wanting to have to sell a moonroofless car if you bail.

But I have what has to be the least generally desirable E46 combo in this country, so what do I have to say? :lmao:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
cloth seats

getting back to the cloth seats. any of you guys tried getting in an out of a car with cloth seats while wearing a cloth coat on a cold winter day? its a pain in the a#s
good luck in what ever choice you make
vern

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
IMHO, it really boils down to what you want. Even if the value of the car were off by over $1000 at trade-in, the monetary amount is most likely small relative to your overall enjoyment of the car.

Here's my personal opinion. The sunroof is as hedonistic as options get, and it does compromise structural rigidity...but I drive my car on the streets 95% of the time, and I take my car to the track 5% of the time. That structural element would really only bother me at the track - the rest of the time, it won't bother me in very spirited street driving. That's why, during my car search, I decided not to care whether the car came with a sunroof.

But that's just my opinion. You seem pretty intent on leaving the sunroof out. My last car didn't have one, and to be honest with you I didn't miss it more than a couple of times a year...and those days, what I *really* wish I had was a roadster.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts