Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many threads about comfort access. I promise this one will be a little different ;)

if I leave the car running in P and step outside, will the car shut off? does the automatic seat memory call up the last seat position when the car was driven with the fob, or one of the two saved seat positions?

Wife and I carpool. And I'd like to know how the fob/car sharing expeirences are. Does comfort access make it easier or messier?
 

·
In vino veritas
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
I don't know about the E90's CA, but my SL500 will shut off after a minute or so if you leave the car with the fob in hand. A warning will appear in the one of the screens on the instrument panel at the same time.

I'd imagine the E90 does the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
defucius said:
I've read many threads about comfort access. I promise this one will be a little different ;)

if I leave the car running in P and step outside, will the car shut off? does the automatic seat memory call up the last seat position when the car was driven with the fob, or one of the two saved seat positions?

Wife and I carpool. And I'd like to know how the fob/car sharing expeirences are. Does comfort access make it easier or messier?
No, it will not shut off immediately. For example if I put it in p and step outside to drop mail in the mailbox and leave engine running with keys in my pocket. From what others have said you can continue to drive without key in car but as soon as u shut it off, u would need fob present to restart it. I've never tried this myself though. Yes, the seat memory will revert to last seating position for that particular fob used. You have to set this option by urself for it to take effect.

CA makes a world of difference. It's like night and day. No more fumbling with keys and stuff. I haven't even stuck my keys into the slot since i picked it up in munich! What a convenience! If both of u have fob with you, I guess who ever opens the door first determines which setting it will recall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
defucius said:
I've read many threads about comfort access. I promise this one will be a little different ;)

if I leave the car running in P and step outside, will the car shut off? does the automatic seat memory call up the last seat position when the car was driven with the fob, or one of the two saved seat positions?

Wife and I carpool. And I'd like to know how the fob/car sharing expeirences are. Does comfort access make it easier or messier?
You have read many threads? :tsk: There are no less than 5 threads on this forum that have the answers to your questions. Here is one with all the answers to your CA questions: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2358. Hope this helps.:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
govtec said:
No, it will not shut off immediately. For example if I put it in p and step outside to drop mail in the mailbox and leave engine running with keys in my pocket. From what others have said you can continue to drive without key in car but as soon as u shut it off, u would need fob present to restart it. I've never tried this myself though. Yes, the seat memory will revert to last seating position for that particular fob used. You have to set this option by urself for it to take effect.
Both of these are not friendly to our carpooling. We usually come to my work first (I drive), then she drives to her work. She could have forgotten her fob but still be able to drive to her work. Then we both stuck if I did not give her my fob. If I gave her my fob, however, she would then change to her seat settings and cause my fob to remember her settings.
 

·
In vino veritas
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
defucius said:
Both of these are not friendly to our carpooling. We usually come to my work first (I drive), then she drives to her work. She could have forgotten her fob but still be able to drive to her work. Then we both stuck if I did not give her my fob. If I gave her my fob, however, she would then change to her seat settings and cause my fob to remember her settings.
Easy solution: use one fob and place it in the storage tray in the center console instead of your pocket. That way it travels with the car.

Or carry your own fobs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
defucius said:
Both of these are not friendly to our carpooling. We usually come to my work first (I drive), then she drives to her work. She could have forgotten her fob but still be able to drive to her work. Then we both stuck if I did not give her my fob. If I gave her my fob, however, she would then change to her seat settings and cause my fob to remember her settings.
I read somewhere that the 1/2 settings for seat memory are unique to each FOB in post-Sept cars. So in theory, with 2 FOBs you actually have 4 memory settings...

--gos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
gos said:
I read somewhere that the 1/2 settings for seat memory are unique to each FOB in post-Sept cars. So in theory, with 2 FOBs you actually have 4 memory settings...

--gos
True. For each fob, the car remembers separate settings for
1) memory button 1
2) memory button 2
3) however you had the seat set last
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,288 Posts
defucius said:
Both of these are not friendly to our carpooling. We usually come to my work first (I drive), then she drives to her work. She could have forgotten her fob but still be able to drive to her work. Then we both stuck if I did not give her my fob. If I gave her my fob, however, she would then change to her seat settings and cause my fob to remember her settings.
Then get into the habit of putting the fob in the slot.
Why would she not have her fob on her? just leave it in the bottom of her hand bag - that's what my wife does. But then she doesn't drive it much.

In terms of whose settings - the fob position determines which seat settings etc are recalled. If your wife has the fob in her bag and opens the passenger door first - and you are at the drivers door - your setting will be picked up - I tried this in Munich.

In terms of being stuck if she leaves her fob home and you forget to give her yours - there is always the valet key - hide that somewhere in hte car and if the above happens she simply retrieves the valet key and uses the emergency fob from the glove box in the ignition slot. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
defucius said:
Both of these are not friendly to our carpooling. We usually come to my work first (I drive), then she drives to her work. She could have forgotten her fob but still be able to drive to her work. Then we both stuck if I did not give her my fob. If I gave her my fob, however, she would then change to her seat settings and cause my fob to remember her settings.
do not share fobs if u don't want ur settings changed. u were given 2 fobs and a spare key at delivery. u use ur's to set ur setting and she uses her's to set her setting. problem solved!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
gholton said:
I wouldn't come down on him too hard -- that is a different forum.
The link I provided was the best overall single resource for his CA answers. I was trying to be helpful without looking up all the answers for this guy (which is what he should have done).

But as I posted earlier he could have searched this forum and found no less than 5 threads with the answers he seeks. Try searching 'comfort access' and you get 9 pages of results. At least 5 threads of which have the answers to his questions. Search 'comfort access question' and you get one page (24 threads) with even more specific results from which he could have gotten his answers.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
turpiwa said:
there is always the valet key - hide that somewhere in hte car and if the above happens she simply retrieves the valet key and uses the emergency fob from the glove box in the ignition slot.
That is a really bad idea and many car break-ins and theft attempts are caused by a mistaken belief that BMW leaves a key in the glovebox to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,288 Posts
Jspira said:
That is a really bad idea and many car break-ins and theft attempts are caused by a mistaken belief that BMW leaves a key in the glovebox to begin with.
You need the valet key in the emergency fob to start it so of course you don't leave them together. I think anyone with a little common sense can easily find somewhere to hide the plastic valet key that would prevent anyone finding it.:dunno:
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
turpiwa said:
You need the valet key in the emergency fob to start it so of course you don't leave them together. I think anyone with a little common sense can easily find somewhere to hide the plastic valet key that would prevent anyone finding it.:dunno:
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that leaving a key in the car - regardless of whether it were used or not - might invalidate your insurance if the car were to be stolen.

Actually, I believe that the insurance company might ask you whether you are in possesion of ALL keys in the event of a theft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Jspira said:
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that leaving a key in the car - regardless of whether it were used or not - might invalidate your insurance if the car were to be stolen.
I have never heard of such a thing. Tell me what insurance company has that policy so I can put them on my "Do Not Use" list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Jspira said:
That is a really bad idea and many car break-ins and theft attempts are caused by a mistaken belief that BMW leaves a key in the glovebox to begin with.
I've never heard of this....where did you find this statistic?
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
I have never heard of such a thing. Tell me what insurance company has that policy so I can put them on my "Do Not Use" list.
Well, Gerling for one. So you won't have to worry about that but the Munich delivery center is supposed to tell each customer to keep all keys on his person and not to leave them in the car or elsewhere.

Re any others, on my part it's vague recollection - maybe someone here in the insurance industry can comment.
 

·
Freude am Fahren
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
MARCUS330i said:
I've never heard of this....where did you find this statistic?
I was told this by several police officers here in New York, and it was discussed on Roadfly off and on (in the past 2 years or so).

Apparently, as the story goes, an urban legend came about that BMW delivered cars with the spare key in the glove box - and that many owners were unaware so they never removed it.

I am aware of a lot of break-ins in the NY area where thieves ransacked the glove box in an apparent attempt to find the key. Nothing was taken otherwise usually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
govtec said:
do not share fobs if u don't want ur settings changed. u were given 2 fobs and a spare key at delivery. u use ur's to set ur setting and she uses her's to set her setting. problem solved!
problem not really solved. There is always the chance she forgot the fob someday, and that goes undetected until we are stuck. I know it would be a user error, but the system allows for such a user error, as opposed to non-comfort-access equipped.

Then there is the confusion of which setting should the system choose to call up or save. If we both have the fobs with us, when we get home together, would both key fob remember the same "last driven" setting? Or if we leave home and wife gets in the car while I wait on my coffee, her setting might have already being called up when I get in?

Sometimes "not sharing fob" is actually not an option when wife says "give me your key".... you know what I mean.

BTW, never leave the a key inside the car.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top