BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I've done a search but found conflicting or possibly outdated information.

I am scheduled to pick up a car June 10th in Munich and have the following questions.

1) Is the rumor about being able to pay $50 and have your car driven to Harms from the Munich factory for you true? If so, is there a phone number or email address that anyone has to get a hold of the people who provide this service, or is it offered directly through the factory at pick up?

2) I received a free ticket but will be flying standby so I'll be leaving on the 8th of June. I know the dates for pick up are pretty much set. However, if my flight happens to land the day before my scheduled pick up (which is a distinct possibility) would there be a problem with picking up the car one day early? Has anyone tried a day or so early and been sent back to their hotel to wait till the following day?

3) I read here about a gentleman or company that will pick you up from the airport holding a sign with your name on it and transport you directly to the factory. Is this offered through the factory in Munich or does anyone have this contact info to pass along to me? I'm sure there are various taxis but I'd prefer to go with a set price being offered and a driver with knowledge of the destination than take my chances with a random taxi driver.

Thank You for any responses.

p.s. I love this board and wish I knew about it when I got my last two BMW's. I could've saved a bundle and squeezed in a couple of vacations.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
bee em uu fan said:
Hello All

I've done a search but found conflicting or possibly outdated information.

I am scheduled to pick up a car June 10th in Munich and have the following questions.

1) Is the rumor about being able to pay $50 and have your car driven to Harms from the Munich factory for you true? If so, is there a phone number or email address that anyone has to get a hold of the people who provide this service, or is it offered directly through the factory at pick up?
Its a service that I think you have to arrange at the European Delivery Center, but you still have to show up and sign for the delivery.

bee em uu fan said:
2) I received a free ticket but will be flying standby so I'll be leaving on the 8th of June. I know the dates for pick up are pretty much set. However, if my flight happens to land the day before my scheduled pick up (which is a distinct possibility) would there be a problem with picking up the car one day early? Has anyone tried a day or so early and been sent back to their hotel to wait till the following day?
Yes, you will be sent back to your hotel sulking.

bee em uu fan said:
3) I read here about a gentleman or company that will pick you up from the airport holding a sign with your name on it and transport you directly to the factory. Is this offered through the factory in Munich or does anyone have this contact info to pass along to me? I'm sure there are various taxis but I'd prefer to go with a set price being offered and a driver with knowledge of the destination than take my chances with a random taxi driver.
Agent99 has that info, he should be here shortly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
it is so incredibly easy to get around munich on public transportation or by cab. I wouldn't stress yourself out too much about arranging for a pickup at the airport or even having someone drive the car to harms for you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
bee em uu fan said:
Everyone has their own compfort level about traveling in a foreign country so do what make things easiest for you. They may not be as cheap as other alternatives but may well be worth it for you.

I used a guy who will charge you 35 E to pick you up at the airport and either take you to your hotel or take you to the delivery center. If he takes you to your hotel, I'm told he will pick you up in the morning and take you to the delivery center. Very nice man, drives an X5 diesel:

If you are successful in contacting him, please let the board know. I sent him an email a couple weeks ago and I have nothing in reply unfortunately. I'm told FAXing him works best.

Rolf Raffelsieper
www.bmw-werk-muenchen.de
phone +49 89 382-23639
fax +49 89 382-25878
E-Mail [email protected]

The above is printed on his biz card he gave me. However, he also ink stamped this info on the card:

Rolf Raffelsieper
Konstanzer Strasse 39
D-80809 Munchen
Tel.+Fax: 089/354 36 36
Mobil: 0171/82 514 92

Good luck, and please let us know if you are successful in contacting him. I'd like to make him aware of this board.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the feedback. I'm very excited about picking this car up via ED. I am a little leery however of traveling in a foreign country as Agent99 suggested but I'm sure everything will be fine. I will contact Rolf Raffelsieper regarding transportation and post if I get a response. Otherwise, I'll go the taxi route with the train being a last resort.

Arnolds, I will contact the delivery center to discuss setting up the dropoff to Harms. Hopefully they will be able to drop it off the same day that I pickup. I'm very eager to get the car sent back to the US especially since I'm on the west coast. I know some like to drive around during their stay, but for me, It'll be nice to feel like I'm in Germany while my car is already enroute to the US (6 week journey :( ).

Thanks again for everyones help. Like I said, this board is fantastic!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
bee em uu fan said:
Arnolds, I will contact the delivery center to discuss setting up the dropoff to Harms. Hopefully they will be able to drop it off the same day that I pickup. I'm very eager to get the car sent back to the US especially since I'm on the west coast. I know some like to drive around during their stay, but for me, It'll be nice to feel like I'm in Germany while my car is already enroute to the US (6 week journey :( ).
That's an interesting take. For me, a good part of doing ED is driving around Germany and experience something that can't be experienced here in the US. You're gonna fly 5000 miles and all you are worried about is getting the car back in less than 6 weeks? If I did that, the feeling would be...I wish I didn't drop off my car so quickly, I wish I'm driving triple digit speeds on the autobahn!

I bet you could drive the car in Germany for 5 days and your car will still be on the same ship that it would be on if you just quickly dropped it off straight from the ED Center.

Diff strokes I guess. :eek:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
bee em uu fan said:
Thanks again for everyones help. Like I said, this board is fantastic!!
I'm unclear on WHY you want to do Euro Delivery? Why not just take delivery stateside. Or are you overcoming your fears for the day to save the ED discount? I think the program is doomed if this is the case, and what people start to do.

·
Registered
668 Posts
e36M3r said:
I'm unclear on WHY you want to do Euro Delivery? Why not just take delivery stateside. Or are you overcoming your fears for the day to save the ED discount? I think the program is doomed if this is the case, and what people start to do.
:stupid:

I couldn't agree more. This is not what this program was designed for. I completely don't understand the original posters motivations. He is saying that he'll pick up the car just to immediately drop it off and then continue his vacations without a car. Why on earth would anyone do this???????????????????????????????????????

Plus your fears of travelling/transportation etc are completely unfounded. It is much more organized in Europe and easy/safe to get around using public transit. Everyone does it.
I can tell you as an immigrant that it is much more difficult to get around in the US. Things are less obvious, decentralized and infrastructure is poorer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wallenrod said:
:stupid:

I couldn't agree more. This is not what this program was designed for. I completely don't understand the original posters motivations. He is saying that he'll pick up the car just to immediately drop it off and then continue his vacations without a car. Why on earth would anyone do this???????????????????????????????????????

Plus your fears of travelling/transportation etc are completely unfounded. It is much more organized in Europe and easy/safe to get around using public transit. Everyone does it.
I can tell you as an immigrant that it is much more difficult to get around in the US. Things are less obvious, decentralized and infrastructure is poorer.
I understand the original poster's thinking. There could be several reasons. I'm facing the same thing -- I'll be in Europe for a little less than one week for business and just happen to have one day I can swing by to pick up the car. I don't have time to play and zoom on the 'bahn, just time to see where my new baby was built and sign papers. On top of which, I save a lot of money (going to be in Europe anyway, no airfare or hotel costs).

I also know some people who would not feel comfortable driving at high speeds on the 'bahn (I'm not one, would love to zip around at 120+) but they love bimmers for the handling at normal US speeds. I have a friend who absolutely won't drive in Europe, not because he thinks it's unsafe, he just doesn't want to worry about how he would handle a possible violation/ticket or minor accident that happened in a foreign land since that would ruin his vacation (again, not my line of thinking but I see his point). Lot's of potential reasons to not stick around and drive the car in Germany.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bakersdozen, you are absolutely correct. On this particular trip, I'm not very comfortable traveling overseas and I will be alone. I wouldn't feel confident zipping around in a foreign city in the US much less another country all by myself. I'd like to sign the papers, get my car to the port, have dinner, and head back. The savings is a big incentive to do ED. I am saving approximately $9k off a U.S. delivery. Perhaps on my next ED, I'll be able to bring a few companions and take in the sights that everyone speaks so highly of.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.