BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alrighty... Just got back from a nice drive up to Mt. Tam. OMG do I love this car!!! I've posted more pics below, and as a reminder, here are the stats:
330i
Sparkling Graphite
Black Leather, Burl Walnut wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
iDrive/Nav
Sattellite Radio
Automatic/Steptronic

First Impressions:
Well, let me just say that I LOVE iDrive (Bugs and all -- and belive me, there are some bugs)... While iDrive can be a bit of a hassle to deal with, I quickly learned that the easiest way around was by using the voice commands. Even if you don't know which commands will be understood by the car, you can always find out by saying "options" or "help"... After a few minutes of practice, I was easily switching between FM and Satellite radio, calling up the navigation screen ("Persepctive" view), and dailing my bluetooth cell phone without ever taking my hands off the wheel. Also the navigation seems to work great (I've used Garmin in the past, but so far, I like the BMW one better -- it's very quick about recalculating a route if you miss (or chose to skip) a turn.

While that may seem like a dream come true, there are some issues... I found that as I became more familar with iDrive, I would tend to zip through the motions too fast (I'd quckly nudge down for entertainment, push down to select, turn left and right to change station/source, etc.). However, even though you know the order of moves you need for a command, if you do it to fast w/o waiting for the computer to catch up, you'd easily confuse the iDrive, and it would execute a command for a previous menu screen... Also, I found that sometimes my voice command would change the radio from FM to Satellite source, but the iDrive screen would SOMETIMES still show the FM radio menu on the screen (though I'd then just hit "menu" to escape)...

All of the "bugs" mentioned don't really detract from my love of iDrive -- but I'm a gadget geek that is used to WinXP crashing on a regular basis b/c I've got too much junk linked to my home computer... However, if you are the type of person that still has a VCR with "12:00" blinking, then iDrive may not be for you...

My only other "complaint" has to do with the sport seats.... I loved the idea of the extending thigh rest, as I'm a tall guy... However, I found that the section of the seat that extends would be much more comfortable if it were just a couple inches wider... with it extended, it totally supports my right leg... but if I put my left foot on the foot rest, then a bit of my left leg hangs off the side of the extended leg rest.... This is only a MINOR discomfort, and I only noticed it after 2 hours of driving... But it did bother me enough to push the leg rest back into the seat completely...

So how did it drive? Like a BMW! Unfortunately, I'm still in the 1000 mile break-in period... I didn't drive the engine hard, but I did have a good time taking corners like I was on rails! Also, the hummmmm of the engine made me want to turn off my music and just listen to it... it was purrrrfect...

Can't wait to go out for another drive!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great looking pics! I have the same color and sport package too! (but MT and no idrive).

Remember that break-in is actually 1250 miles. Be careful with it until then, but keep the tach needle moving as much as possible. :thumbup:

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
:thumbup:

BTW, this picture is the best I've seen at showing the slight bend of the center stack towards the driver:

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmr said:
:thumbup:

BTW, this picture is the best I've seen at showing the slight bend of the center stack towards the driver:

[IG]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52346[/IMG]
Hate to burst your bubble, but I think these photos have a bit of a fish-eye effect that causes the center to bulge out which makes it look like the dash is more curved than it really is.
I noticed this slightly in all the pics he posted, but it's most evident when you check out the top of the last pic he posted, see the curve in the headliner/sunvisors?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quackman said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but I think these photos have a bit of a fish-eye effect that causes the center to bulge out which makes it look like the dash is more curved than it really is.
I noticed this slightly in all the pics he posted, but it's most evident when you check out the top of the last pic he posted, see the curve in the headliner/sunvisors?
True, true... I had to use the wide angle lens to get the whole dashboard, so it does indeed look a bit fish-eyeish...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaygenesee said:
Steply, if you don't mind I would like to see some ....a lot more pictures of your car. IT'S HOOOT :thumbup:
Ask and you shall recieve -- here are more pictures... Soon I will take and post more pictures of the inside of the car (with fold-down rear seats)... Also, today I picked up the $300 optional dog seat cover for the back seats -- pretty cool - it attaches to the headrests of both the front and back seats, covers the entire back seat and doors, and "prevents" the dogs from jumping into the front seat or falling into the rear foot wells... (probably only works with small dogs though)...

Oh and to answer mroctober's question, the pictures were taken with a Canon Powershot S70 (7.1 megapixel - though I have to shrink the photos down substantially, as they exceed this website's upload limits)... I just got the camera last weekend (specifically to take pictures of my new car -- man, I'm obsessed!)

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice pics, but if you're going to take anymore pics would it be possible to not have the fisheye effect? It ruins the nice and varied photos you're taking.

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
quackman said:
Ok, fish-eye effect notwithstanding, the E90 dash does bend slightly towards the driver, though hardly as much as "traditionally". I believe the apex is around where the center cupholder is. At least that's what I remember seeing when I sat in the passenger seat in an E90 once. And don't you say I have fishy eyes! :slap: Maybe steply can confirm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey steply nice post and pictures!!!
ur E90 is beautiful and it pretty much came with everything
may i know how much u paid for the car out the door? like with tax and stuff?
thx! congrats on the car again!! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
E90330iSMG said:
hey steply nice post and pictures!!!
ur E90 is beautiful and it pretty much came with everything
may i know how much u paid for the car out the door? like with tax and stuff?
thx! congrats on the car again!! :bigpimp:
Just sent you the details -- check your private messages.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to know what kind of bugs people are talking about, I've been using my idrive for a few days now and I haven't seen one. There are some store and whatnot missing from the database, and I sometimes think it talks TOO much, but that doesn't count as a defect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmr said:
Ok, fish-eye effect notwithstanding, the E90 dash does bend slightly towards the driver, though hardly as much as "traditionally". I believe the apex is around where the center cupholder is. At least that's what I remember seeing when I sat in the passenger seat in an E90 once. And don't you say I have fishy eyes! :slap: Maybe steply can confirm?
Steply did confirm... read the thread.
I know there is a slight curve, I'm not one of those E90 bashers, I'm actually picking mine up tomorrow.
These fisheye pics might confuse people if they are not labeled.
Besides that confusing interior dash pic, I'd say even though fisheyed, the rest of the pictures look really great and I still think Steply should take some more without a fisheye effect if possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts