BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

More power please,

1939 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  _Ethrty-Andy_
I just purchased a 1987 325i with 311k with an outstanding maintenance records and I can't tell you how much I love this car. I want to make this an amazing car starting with the motor. I would like to increase the power and I don't think small mods will get me where I want to be.

Although I'm enthusiastic, I do have a budget and need to go at this one step at a time. I'm really impressed with the amount of knowledge and willingness to help people with minor to major issues.

So thanks for your help and valuable input.

Signed, One happy BMW owner. Finally!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
you cant make it an amazing car starting with the motor. motor should be the last thing on the list. should start with handling, better handling means better stopping ability and control.
Makes good sense, soooo?
^^^^What he said.
you cant make it an amazing car starting with the motor. motor should be the last thing on the list. should start with handling, better handling means better stopping ability and control.
For the handling, go with new springs and shocks, front and rear anti-sway bars, polyurethane bushings, etc..
I have found the E30 M3 springs with the 15mm drop hats up front to balance the look is a good balance of sport and comfort.
I own a speedshop & I hear the same question on a daily basis.
Firstly bring your car back up to scratch. If you need to replace something, use a quality/performance part. i.e. When changing the Airfilter use a K&N.
Only start with performance mods once your car is mechanically sound !
Once you are there, figure out your budget & then ask the same question.
Thank you to those of you that took the time to explain things to me. Now I have a more definitive direction to move forward. I will begin with the handling issues and go from there. Do you have a recommendation for a good parts resource?

Thanks again!
DCS
Considering building up a e30 to a lightweight racecar is my dream project, just no time or money to do it properly, but if I was going to try, I would first off replace control arms, suspension system I advise Koni, brembo break with rotors and callipers, and first of all make sure your frame isnt rusted. Once you have good rolling shell, then I would try to reduce weight, after that, drop in stock engine with transmission, just not over 80k miles, and preferably M engine high rev, as in s62 or s54,(yes hard but worth it). and last is modify that endinge with software, intakes, turbo(in this case, since car is light) and maybe even bore it.

BEST OF LUCK! POST PICS SOMETIMES!
Can you recommend a good( i.e. fairly priced, good service post sales, parts source for these types of components?)
Check through the suspension and see what needs fixing. Then the same for the brakes. Then the same for steering. Service these systems as you go. Then go back to 'power'.
a stock 325i is plenty powerfull enough for most people, its the suspension in the E30s that make the whole car a slop-pit. drop on some quality aftermarket suspension, coilovers if you can justify that, and go from there. My 316i isnt quick in a straight line, but because all the suspension is less than 5000km old, it handles pretty well for a stock ride height car. may be picking up sme lowering springs next week, just dont want to overcapitalise on the E30
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.